D&D General Willpower and ... Charisma ??

le Redoutable

Ich bin El Glouglou :)
We switched things up, making Clerics CHA-based casters to go with Paladins and Warlocks, calling it "Conviction".

Wisdom - Your connection with the world.
Charisma - Your connection with others, including gods/patrons.

This way, Druids and Rangers fit nicely into primal/natural spells. (Wisdom)
Wizards, Bards, and Sorcerers fall into arcane spells. (Intelligence)
Clerics, Paladins, and Warlocks are for divine/otherworldly spells. (Charisma)
So spellcasters use mental stats, that's it !

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
We switched things up, making Clerics CHA-based casters to go with Paladins and Warlocks, calling it "Conviction".

Wisdom - Your connection with the world.
Charisma - Your connection with others, including gods/patrons.

This way, Druids and Rangers fit nicely into primal/natural spells. (Wisdom)
Wizards, Bards, and Sorcerers fall into arcane spells. (Intelligence)
Clerics, Paladins, and Warlocks are for divine/otherworldly spells. (Charisma)
Personally I might’ve put sorcerer as a WIS caster (if not using CON), for one thing it differentiates them from the wizard and two, it represents them being in tune with and having a better fundamental understanding of the flow of the magical energies through their own body and the world around them, they feel the natural flow of magic even if they manifest it in it’s arcane form.

CreamCloud0

I really like the idea of Sorcerers beign the Con caster stat myself
It makes a certain kind of sense but i can see the beginnings of SAD when tying both their primary casting stat and health growth to the same number, I’m sure there are other things you could do, spells and suchlike that would compound the effect.

Stalker0

Legend
I really like the idea of Sorcerers beign the Con caster stat myself
I also think that would have been a cool way to go.

So in spellcaster terms the only one that doesn't really make sense is the paladin (in terms of a base caster).

Clerics and Druids accept power from a higher source, wisdom is there understanding of the complex inscrutable energies.
Warlocks use charisma because they are bargaining with an eldritch source, but the power they get is easy to understand and use, that's the point (its quick easy power).
Sorcs use charisma because they are tapping into their own magical soul (and charisma is the soul stat in dnd). Con would have also made sense for sorcs tapping into their magical "blood", aka a physical power as opposed to a soul power.
Wizards use int because duh.

But paladins don't really make sense. They are also getting divine power from the gods....so why is it not wisdom? the answer of course is mechanics, Paladins would be too mad if they needed wisdom too....but flavor wise they don't make sense.

Stalker0

Legend
As for charisma and wisdom, at the end of the day its always a debate because in real life people don't have two stats, they have a spectrum of different abilities. So it never "completely makes sense" when you have these divided stats.

But the way it works in dnd is that a low wisdom high charisma is a very socially forceful person, that often gets in their own way. They have limited self control (they may have an addictive personality as well). But they also tend to collapse under pressure, they are eloquent and will make the case for their way....but if social pressure is going against them their argument will crumble. Another way to see them is "flighty", the kind of person that is always changing gears and can't stick to any one task (which is why their perceptions are low, they are too easily distracted, they can't stay focused enough to really hear and see what's going on around them).

Meanwhile a high wisdom/low charisma person is more a force of nature. They are immutable, but often come across as "stubborn" because of their limited ability to communicate their point of view. They just seem intransitant, and can be frustrating for others to work with. Clerics like this in communities are often ruling through their position, rather than their personality. People go along with them not often because they want to, but because "god said so".

Then you get the perfect blend of decently high wisdom and charisma, the ultimate social force. They are persuasive and strong of will, they know the right way to go, they have the will to back it up, and people will naturally follow them. These are your evangelicals, that convert new people to the faith.

CreamCloud0

I also think that would have been a cool way to go.

So in spellcaster terms the only one that doesn't really make sense is the paladin (in terms of a base caster).

Clerics and Druids accept power from a higher source, wisdom is there understanding of the complex inscrutable energies.
Warlocks use charisma because they are bargaining with an eldritch source, but the power they get is easy to understand and use, that's the point (its quick easy power).
Sorcs use charisma because they are tapping into their own magical soul (and charisma is the soul stat in dnd). Con would have also made sense for sorcs tapping into their magical "blood", aka a physical power as opposed to a soul power.
Wizards use int because duh.

But paladins don't really make sense. They are also getting divine power from the gods....so why is it not wisdom? the answer of course is mechanics, Paladins would be too mad if they needed wisdom too....but flavor wise they don't make sense.
Paladins would make a bit more sense as a CHA caster specifically if their lore were angled slightly more towards the 4e Warlord’s idea of ‘inspiring champion of their cause’ where it’s their force of personality fuelling their powers more than the gods.

Stalker0

Legend
Paladins would make a bit more sense as a CHA caster specifically if their lore were angled slightly more towards the 4e Warlord’s idea of ‘inspiring champion of their cause’ where it’s their force of personality fuelling their powers more than the gods.
If paladins didn't have spells I could see it. The issue with spells is that we already have the flavor that its sorcerers that have innate magic. It wouldn't make sense that paladins also have "innate magic" but "not like sorcs".

Lord Shark

Adventurer
would you link Mental Strength to Mental Defense , or Mental Str is for Attack and Mental Def is ... for Defense ?
Note that 4E allowed you to use either Wisdom or Charisma to determine your Will defense. I always liked that -- Charisma should be able to do more than just be the social-fu stat.

Remove ads