Windows 10 - Convince me.

Okay, so the topic title is problematic, it's the best I could come up with.

The gist is I posted on the Microsoft website a query and they banned me for "content violations" - So I will posed the same question here.
Why should I upgrade to Windows 10?

Keep in mind I DO NOT own, operate or otherwise use the following:
A smartphone - phones are for phone calls, computers are for computing
Texting - if you want to talk to me RIGHT NOW, call me otherwise send me an email and I'll answer when I can.
Now Social media - I HATE Facebook, Twitter and such, if I cared what your friends, girlfriends dog was doing, I'd ask. Also, if I wanted my "friends and family" to find me, I would tell them where I am, your marketing department should not care. (Facebook should be outlawed because of this invasion of privacy alone)
Cortana - no smartphone, no smart-alack phone assistant.
Touch screen anything.
Cloud assisted media - I like my personal CDs, DVDs and files to not be tagged and delivered to the world, thank you.
Xbox - I don't own one

Now, it's not that I'm downing Windows 10, I'm not, it appears to be an upgrade of 8 via cranial-rectal removal surgery and that's a VERY good thing. But all of the reasons to upgrade that are part of their snazzy little ad campaign just make me think - useless (at least to me anyway). So IS there any reason for me to upgrade, even if it is free?

I realize that I sound like an old crotchety man, well I am.. So shut-up and get off my lawn before I hit you with my cane and call the cops... lol

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I dunno. Sounds like you should get a typewriter. :)

I'm no help. I love all the stuff you hate.

Ryujin

Legend
Well there's one good reason; if you're going to continue using a Windows based PC, it's your only upgrade path.

I've installed it on one PC, a Dell XPS notebook that's a few years old. So far I'm liking it far better than win8/8.1 by far. It's hardware aware. If it doesn't find a touchscreen, it doesn't give you that stupid tile interface. It has a tile based Start Menu that's actually not too far from a real Start Menu. All the software that I used in Win7 seems to be working fine. In short if you're a Win7 user, it's not a quantum leap going to Win10. Sure, they moved around some things that they really didn't need to, but they always do that.

The one personal drawback that I've found is that it didn't bring over my mail from Windows Live Mail, into their new mail application. Good thing I did it on a secondary PC first.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Now Admiral, you've seen me in action at the ENnies, it's not the technology I hate, it's all those annoying people. lol

Fair enough!

That said, though, if you don't want W10, don't get it. W7 is just fine. I upgraded because I like new and shiny, but if that's not you then stick with what you like and know. :)

Well there's one good reason; if you're going to continue using a Windows based PC, it's your only upgrade path.

I've installed it on one PC, a Dell XPS notebook that's a few years old. So far I'm liking it far better than win8/8.1 by far. It's hardware aware. If it doesn't find a touchscreen, it doesn't give you that stupid tile interface. It has a tile based Start Menu that's actually not too far from a real Start Menu. All the software that I used in Win7 seems to be working fine. In short if you're a Win7 user, it's not a quantum leap going to Win10. Sure, they moved around some things that they really didn't need to, but they always do that.

The one personal drawback that I've found is that it didn't bring over my mail from Windows Live Mail, into their new mail application. Good thing I did it on a secondary PC first.
See, this is what I need to hear. All of the features that they discuss are based on social media and alternate hardware applications, I 'm looking for actual hard data on usage, performance, etc - Microsoft has refused to really put it out to the public and it made me wonder - smoke and mirrors? Thanks

Fair enough!

That said, though, if you don't want W10, don't get it. W7 is just fine. I upgraded because I like new and shiny, but if that's not you then stick with what you like and know. :)
Part of the problem is I don't know. All anyone can talk about in the media ads are the social media and cloud applications, which for me are obviously useless, but what is there that would be useful - processing time down, streamlined start-up software, less intrusive or pared down "house keeping" functions, etc, none of the bare-bones functionality is being publicly revealed or discussed.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Part of the problem is I don't know. All anyone can talk about in the media ads are the social media and cloud applications, which for me are obviously useless, but what is there that would be useful - processing time down, streamlined start-up software, less intrusive or pared down "house keeping" functions, etc, none of the bare-bones functionality is being publicly revealed or discussed.

Well, do you *want* to be convinced?

Well, do you *want* to be convinced?
Sure, why not? Like I said, I really do want to know what this software can do me, even more importantly than what it can't do for me, but no one seems to talk about that stuff.

My point being, what , if anything is there that would make me want to upgrade. I mean, it's free, that's a pretty good incentive, but if I end up just having it sit there running all the pretty-shinies and it's not really doing anything, that to me is annoying, and more to the point, if I don't use or want to use a functionality is there a way to disable said functionality so it doesn't steal processing power, etc.

Ryujin

Legend
You can choose whether or not to use the tile interface. By default it reads your hardware during installation and if it finds a touch enabled screen, it enables the tile interface. If not, then it doesn't.

Start-up seems faster than Win7. About the same as Win8/8.1, which I find subjectively faster than 7.

In operation it seems to run OK on the system ion which I have it installed. No slower than Win7 and perhaps slightly faster.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases