Windows 8?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I did. As far as I can tell, the user experience is basically Windows 7 except that you have that "Metro" full page instead of a start button. That page looks cool, and you'll probably spend some time adding live tiles to it, before never using it again - at least that's what's happened with me.

I haven't experienced any problems or bugs, and it does boot up faster, but other than that it doesn't really seem to change anything that I can tell.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
Didn't Windows 7 come out just, like, a year or 2 ago?
After the horrible Vista version?
When I get around to buying a new computer, I will probably have to upgrade. Can't do that until I finish paying off my credit card (getting divorced was expensive, but worth it!)
I have a whole list of tech-toys (a render server, 3D printer/plotter, region-free dvd player...) for when I've paid everything off.

Janx

Hero
I think the key problem with windows 8 is that for non-touch users/those who use normal apps (non-metro) is that the metro part is just clunky when you keep switching contexts.

don't get me wrong, the WinRT paradigm has stuff to make the GUI sing for metro apps (the same way iOS apps were more responsive than Android apps).

But the apps people use for work aren't in Metro.

It's also a huge paradigm shift. I have a 90 year old I advise. I steered her clear of Win8 and got her a Win7 machine to upgrade her old XP box. Even that's a radical move for her.m But at least the start button's in the same place.

Jhaelen

First Post
After seeing Visual Studio 2012 I know I'll skip Windows 8 just like I skipped Vista. I'm hoping that Windows 9 will provide a better compromise between Windows 7 and 8.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
been testing it at work.

Running it on a HP Mini - 2GB RAM and 300GB Flash Drive with an ATOM N270 @ 1.60GHz - fast boot up and no freezes or crashes. Makes me really want to check it out on the Surface tablet.

Starting to like the interface and having MS Office, is nice. Switching apps; works and so much better than double tapping and finding the sliding launch windows better than icons...I find the apps! I am using the arrow keys and the window key to get about and have no problems.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Thanks for the comments. I'm sitting pretty with Win7 now and it sounds like there's no huge need to upgrade.

Basically right. I use Win8 in a VM for some software development. Task Manager is considerably more powerful, but I still find the context switching with the new 'start screen' a pain in the neck.

Once you've learned certain keyboard skills and hotkeys, Win8 on a PC becomes much more usable, but I don't see any compelling reason to upgrade.

Cheers

JustinAlexander

First Post
I'm waiting for them to release a Surface tablet that actually runs Windows applications. I'll use that experience to judge whether or not I want to upgrade my desktop to it.

Remove ads