Wing and Sword: Life During Wartime

shibata

First Post
Raffaele is embarassed by his inability to explain what he means. His desire to save face overwhelms his concerns about the security situation of this workplace and he bends his will to the work at hand - fitting the pipe from goat pen to cistern as quickly and efficiently as possible.

I've done this before. This is not difficult. That brick should be turned just so . . . .

Craft (structural) 17+4=21 http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=470179

Bobitron

Explorer
"I don't know if would consider Avignon a metropolis. Too dusty." He smiles. "Please, call me Marcel. I would like that." He quickly describes his actions to the boys, hoping to put them at ease as the needles come out. "I studied in Paris at the Broussais-Hôtel-Dieu. So, yes, I suppose I'm not the average farm boy."

shadowbloodmoon

First Post
Pyotr nods and slowly stands to look at his Sergeant. "I'm on it, Sergeant.

Shouldering his rifle, he then starts to meander a path through some of the other buildings, but making sure to always keep that building in sight. He doesn't want to miss anything else, so he keep his eyes walking to and from every shadow, nook and cranny he can see. When he finds an out of the way spot to keep watch on the building the Arab vanished into, Pyotr settles in.

Watch: (1d20+4=18)

The Shaman

First Post
Raffaele settles down to the task at hand, fitting the bricks to hold the pipe that will feed water to the goat pen. The mortar is grainy and the handmade bricks uneven, but he manages to lay the courses, one on the next, encasing the length of iron pipe and making it fast.

Raffaele catches Nedjar looking over his shoulder as he scrapes away excess mortar and strikes the joint with the wooden handle of his trowel. “Lt. Ferrand, you should take a look at this, sir,” he says, raising his head.

The lieutenant returns and peers over Raffaele’s shoulder as well. “I wish we’d had you here from the start, legionnaire,” he says warmly. “You make the rest of us look sloppy.”

Sgt. Katsourianis follows a moment later, his face clouded. On seeing the sergent, Ortu pipes up, “Kat, Mador’s big as me. Why don’t you give him the mitrailleur and let me carry the potato thrower?”

“I’m gonna take both your weapons away and give you each a bag of rocks, Silvio,” Kat replies before moving off to join Sgt. Müller, standing next to Sánchez a short distance away. The two sous-officiers keep their voices low as they talk – the faces on both men are grim, but there is little time to dwell as the pace picks up once again with Ferrand’s return.

Pyotr settles in to watch the mechta. Villagers still observe the paras warily as they move about the douar, stopping to gather in small groups, to point and talk quietly amongst themselves. A young boy, maybe six or seven, emerges from the house and looks about before running off to the east, in the direction of the mechtas on the other side of the oued. Otherwise the building is still as Pyotr watches, flies buzzing in his ears and eyes..

Sister Courcy smiles as Pyotr describes his schooling. “I spent almost a year and a half at the Sorbonne for my nursing training, before the army field hospital school in Lyon.” She rubs an alcohol swab on a boy’s arm before delivering the vaccination. “I lived in Paris for about five years altogether, before the army.” The boy winces slightly as the needle penetrates his arm, while Sister Courcy describes her favorite bistros and cafés in the Quartier Latin, mostly little family places, several that Marcel has visited. “What I wouldn’t give for a decent cup of coffee at the Café de la Paix,” she says with feeling as she cleans up her gear before moving on to the next house.

The work on the cistern and the pen takes about four hours to finish – it’s late-afternoon as the tired, sweating legionnaires are rejoined by their comrades from Sgt. Altmeier’s section, along with Lt. Ramadier, back from their patrol. The two officers, Ferrand and Ramadier, confer privately as the paras clean up and Zabana, the SAS harki readies a string of donkeys with now-empty packs for the trip back to the outpost at the bottom of the oued. Marcel and the nursing sister finish the vaccinations, examining several of the villagers along the way for various ailments and injuries, from pink eye to broken bones, before joining the gathered legionnaires and the SAS lieutenant’s stock for the march back to the trucks.

Most of the paras are subdued as they pull at pack straps or weapon slings. Sister Courcy draws lingering looks from most of the men – if she notices she doesn’t react, pulling on her own pack after unstrapping her carbine from the webbing. Lt. Ferrand is speaking with several of the Arabs from the village as Lt. Ramadier announces, “First section, lead off...”

Bobitron

Explorer
The Shaman said:
Sister Courcy smiles as Pyotr describes his schooling. “I spent almost a year and a half at the Sorbonne for my nursing training, before the army field hospital school in Lyon.” She rubs an alcohol swab on a boy’s arm before delivering the vaccination. “I lived in Paris for about five years altogether, before the army.” The boy winces slightly as the needle penetrates his arm, while Sister Courcy describes her favorite bistros and cafés in the Quartier Latin, mostly little family places, several that Marcel has visited. “What I wouldn’t give for a decent cup of coffee at the Café de la Paix,” she says with feeling as she cleans up her gear before moving on to the next house.

"I haven't had a decent croissant in ages. Once we have some free time, I'll take you to a small cafe in Algiers. I know the man who runs it. He is crippled by the supplies he can get locally, but he has very good coffee and breads." Marcel smiles. "Even some decent cheese not made from goat's milk!" He helps her with the gear, then packs his own bag carefully to ensure everything is in its exact place. He glances over during the clean-up, hoping to catch her eye. "Sister. I know these are difficult times. But you and I have much in common. Perhaps we could be friends? I will write you, you write me, maybe a soiree for dinner in the city once in a while..."

Back with the group, Marcel does a quick check over the men, making certain there are no blisters, splinter, or busted knunckles or toes to worry about. He does his best to ignore the longing looks from his peers at the nurse, but can't help but scowl at the least discrete.

shibata

First Post
The Shaman said:
The lieutenant returns and peers over Raffaele’s shoulder as well. “I wish we’d had you here from the start, legionnaire,” he says warmly. “You make the rest of us look sloppy.”

Raffaele smiles very broadly, showing an expanse of teeth; very happy to be praised. "Thank you, sir. I like building things!" Raffaele wipes away the rivulet of sweat cutting a path through the dust on his cheek and continues working with a smile.

The Shaman

First Post
The nursing sister’s smile fades slightly. “You’re sweet, Marcel, but I’m here to do my job, and that’s all,” she says gently, a hint of sadness in her eyes.

Back with the rest of the platoon, Marcel works his way among the men, checking on the myriad small injuries that accrue from working in rough country. As he passes, a legionnaire with a thick Italian accent calls out, Sergent Szabo, I want a transfer to the medical company!” Laughter ripples down the line of paras.

shadowbloodmoon

First Post
When the men gathered up, ready to move on, a word echoed in Pyotr's mind. Paranoid. Memories began to rush back to him, but he brushed them away with the flies feasting on his sweat. He said nothing as the column began to march.

Barak

First Post
Normand silently prepares himself for the march ahead, feeling somewhat contented.

Wasn't shot at, didn't kill anyone, probably didn't get in trouble, helped some people.. Yeah, I guess we have a good day once in a while.

Bobitron

Explorer
Marcel smiles, but calls out a retort anyhow. "Wait! Then you would have to spend your afternoons looking at Normand's hangnails! Think about the consequences, man!"

Remove ads