Wing and Sword: Life During Wartime

Barak

First Post
From behind Normand comes another voice. “How good are you, exactly? What’s your record?” Turning, Normand sees the speaker is Sánchez, from his own section.

Normand looks at the man for a bit, and especially after having noticed the intent look, his easy manner disappears. He actually seems uncomfortable, and shrugs.

"Record doesn't mean as much as you'd think in the Marseilles circuit I fought in. I was at 9-1 before I decided it was time to leave."

Turning back to the chow line, he then concentrates on putting food on his tray.

OOC
Shaman, Normand would like to try a sense motive on Sanchez.. I have a couple ideas, and would like to try and confirm one of them..
Sense Motive: 16

Last edited:

The Shaman

First Post
Normand studies Sánchez as he replies. The légionnaire is looking over Normand as well. There’s something familiar in the look, like the faces of the touts that gathered around the sparring ring or filled the bleachers at a bout.

“Occasionally these little towns like to put on an exhibition,” Sánchez says quietly, glancing around. “Some local farm kid who thinks he’s Marcel Cerdan against a legionnaire from the garrison.” He shrugs, ash falling from the tip of the smoldering cigarette bobbing in the corner of his mouth. “Sometimes there’s a little wagering on the side.” He picks up his tray. “If you’re interested, I might be able to put something together. If you think you’re good enough.” He nods to Normand and takes a seat at one of the tables in the mess tent.

Normand notices nothing overtly untrustworthy about Sánchez.

Barak

First Post
Remember who you are with now, Normand. There is no Le Gros Rat here. At least as far as I know, eh?

Recovering his grin, Normand shrugs.

"Sure.. I wouldn't mind doing a bout or two in my spare time. As long as the wagering remains on the side, of course."

Bobitron

Explorer
"I'm not exactly a pugilist," Marcel chimes in. "I'd love to watch, though."

He suddenly gets excited as he recalls Normand's hand-to-hand in their encounter with the fells a few weeks back. "You should have seen Normand in our last battle! He ran out of ammo, but that didn't stop him from taking down this fell. Probably broke a couple of his ribs with that punch, eh?"

Marcel laughs. "Maybe I could be your promoter!"

shadowbloodmoon

First Post
Pyotr smiles as he sits down to eat. His friends were all finding some sprts to do, things to keep them busy in the downtime. He himself wondered if there were any shooting matches. Pyotr decided to wait and see if he caught wind of anything before he mentioned it though.

Settling in to eat, Pyotr made a quick prayer to his mom and dad. Once he did so, he immediately dug in.

The Shaman

First Post
"Maybe I could be your promoter!" says Marcel to Normand.

Sánchez looks at Marcel for a moment. He takes a bite of his bread and chews it slowly before answering. “You want to leave that to me, I think,” he replies, sipping wine from a tin cup. “Maybe we’ll use you in the corner, yes?”

“Give me a week or so,” Sánchez continues to Normand. He pops a slice of Gruyere in his mouth with a nod.

Barak

First Post
I hope this doesn't turn into anything big.. I'd just like to go a couple rounds against someone of similar skill is all..

Normand nods to Sanchez, "Sounds good to me, assuming we ain't gone on some outing or something." Turning to Marcel, he smiles. "It's been a little while since I fought, my friend, I'm sure I could use a real doc in my corner."

знаток

First Post
The Shaman said:
Nedjar nods. “A couple of the sous-officiers are pretty good, but sergent Verdurand is the best by far. You’ll learn a lot, if you can stand the bruises.”
"Sounds fantastic! If you could point me to him sometime I'd appreciate it. You know what they say about bruises and pain - weakness leaving the body."
Vidal fills his plate as much as the cooks will allow and finds a seat with his peers. After that encounter with the rifle-butt in the desert, I owe it to myself and everyone else to make an effort to improve my survivability.

The Shaman

First Post
“Sounds fantastic! If you could point me to him sometime I'd appreciate it. You know what they say about bruises and pain - weakness leaving the body,” Vidal tells David Nedjar.

The legionnaire smiles as he replies, “Sgt. Verdurand is hard to miss. He carries a cane with him just about everywhere he goes, something he brought back from Indochina I hear.” He wolfs down a forkful of beans. “He tends to introduce himself by hitting you across the shoulders or the back of the thighs with it if he catches you making a mistake. I don’t know how he does it. It’s like he appears out of thin air the moment you screw up. Hand to G_d.” He shakes his head – to clear a memory perhaps? “He’s old Legion. Morocco, before the war. A real ancien.”

Supper passes with more small talk – Nedjar stands out as the most affable among the legionnaires in the mess hall. An undercurrent of disappointment at being left in reserve during the ratissage is heard in the conversations among the legionnaires – apparently Third Company was in reserve when the regiment was on maneuvers in the Kabyles as well, and the paras are affronted by the slight – “...left sucking hind teat again,” Sylvio Ortu is overheard to complain to anyone in earshot.

As supper winds down, Cpl. Sembène appears at the table. “See me after you’re done,” the black legionnaire tells Pyotr, Normand, and Vidal. He looks at Marcel. “You’re the new doc, right? You should come, too. You’re with us on the patrol tomorrow.” He excuses himself with a curt nod.

Sembène is waiting outside the mess tent when the legionnaires exit. He motions the replacements to follow him, and he talks as they walk to a set of wooden bleachers at the edge of the football pitch. “The sergeant asked me to cover a few things with you, before tomorrow,” he begins.

“Our section is made up of the choc group and the support group. You three – ” the caporal-chef points at Pyotr, Normand, and Vidal “ – are assigned to the choc group with légionnaire première classe Nedjar. He’s first voltiguer in the section – if you’re not sure what to do and the sergent or me aren’t around, follow his lead. Ortu, Syrovy, Sánchez, and Asmussen make up the support group – Ortu is on the AA-52 and the rest are pourvoyeurs.” Sembène looks at each one in turn. “Usually replacements aren’t assigned to a choc group, but Le Capitaine says you’re ready.”

Sitting on the unpainted wooden bleachers, Sembène continues in his flawless French, “If we are on the attack, the support group lays down a base of fire and the choc group usually flanks and makes the close assault. We typically lay down smoke on the enemy and then advance and mop up.” He smiles, his teeth white and straight. “At least that’s how they taught you in basic. The fellaghas are rarely so cooperative.”

“Mador, when the platoon is together the grenadiers answer to caporal-chef Kovic if Lt. Ramadier orders it. Usually this is to concentrate fire on some position.” Sembène looks serious. “Where we operate we rarely have mortar or artillery support, and the company has just one RCL, so the grenadiers are our direct fire option. Stay alert for orders from Kovic – if he tells you something, treat it as coming from the lieutenant himself.”

The caporal-chef sits back slightly, revealing a gold crucifix around his neck as he does so. “Doc, you’re coming with us tomorrow,” he says to Marcel. Le Capitaine doesn’t like anyone sitting around camp too long. The lieutenant will give us the details in the morning, but we’ll probably be on an all-day hike in the hills. The truck pulls out at 0630.” He rubs his hands together. “All clear?”

shadowbloodmoon

First Post
Pyotr listens as Cpl. Sembene tells them their assignments for the next day. As he explains the choc group, Pyotr wonders if he had been misassigned. He was used to sniping from a distance, not jumping in some fell's face and shooting. The Captain knows what he is doing I suppose. When the caporel-chef finishes, Pyotr nods in reply to describe his understanding.

Remove ads