Winter Ceramic DM™: THE WINNER!

mythago

Hero
Sialia vs Piratecat

Sialia: another episode in the tale of two halflings (and the professor)

Some great ideas, and some nice story. But I still feel its a bit , thrown together.

Piratecat: ooooooh, cyberpunk story. Strange tech, double and triple crosses. Crooked employers, and the quest for the holy grail of the megarich: eternal life

For me its obvious: Piratecat all the way.

Judgment: Piratecat

mythago

For both, the pictures were used well and pushed the story along. And though I don't think either of them were the best entries the writers have done, they're still so good it's darn hard to judge.

Sialia - The End of the World
I love the little village of Berryesa; it is, indeed, the end of the world, but in a good way. The sense of lazing in a sunny day is perfectly handled. I like some of the little touches with language (the world's largest pickle crock, the square full of festival).

The critical part is that there are parts that left me scratching my head. The Lillabo-getting-eaten-by-a-brain episode almost seemed as though it belonged in a different story. It felt as though you were saying "hell, I'm not sure what to do with Lillabo now--I know, she needs to get killed like Tarnby." Ditto Mirabelle's declaration of love for Volpe; yes, they've touched death, but she goes from being lonely and needing a warm body to secretly having loved him for some time--huh? (And it seems strange Volpe gets over "poor broken Mirabelle" after the cavern.)

Piratecat - Lazarus
It started off great (you can't beat that opening paragraph), but I felt that it never quite made up its mind whether it wanted to be a light-hearted spoof of spy story conventions or a real spy story, and the inconsistency weakened it. There's a little too much of Isabelle explaining things seemingly for only the reader's benefit. It also struck me as a little obvious that Isabelle would get caught; arrogant she may be, but she's not stupid, and surely she would know that she isn't privy to every weapons and ID scan her employers have at their disposal.

Very deft use of the pictures in all respects.

Judgment: Sialia

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Well, that's over. A few thoughts -

Frankly, I think both stories would be greatly improved by substantial editing (in Sialia's case for length, in my case for several plot holes.) I don't think either story is our strongest effort. But I absolutely think the right person won, and I couldn't be prouder of who I lost to! Nicely done, Sialia, and that was the kind of story I feel really, really good facing off against. You're making me a better writer just by reading your stories, and that's a valuable thing.

In retrospect, I should have tossed the horror story half a day earlier and spent the extra time polishing the plot of my second effort. Sialia's tale may be weaker because it's too long, but mine is too short - and too short in the wrong ways. On an earlier page Berandor did a good deconstruction of some of its weak points that I generally agree with. I may just rewrite this to see what it could have been.

Mirth

Explorer
Congrats Sialia! Welcome to the club, here's the key to the exec outhouse (it's a 2-seater but I wouldn't go in there for at least 25-30 mins, sorry 'bout that) and don't forget your raccoon stick.

Mirth

BSF

Explorer
Woohoo! Congratulations Sialia!

(Now I can gloat. I told everyone that whoever won the first round pairing between Sialia and I would win the whole shebang. :p)

Piratecat, I really enjoyed your stories. When I started this last one I was thinking - Oh! Piratecat is going back to his high action style. You are the reason why I have started thinking a modern-day game could be fun. I've neer been able to pull one off properly, but I start thinking that it might be possible. Thanks!

Sialia, I really felt empathy through your stories. Your imagery is wonderful. While you were disappointed in some of your characterization, and some others didn't quite understand the characters decisions and motives, a lot of it simply rung true to me. Either you and I have known a lot of the same type of people, or you put in subconsious clues that I somehow picked up. The third option might be that you picked out parts of my personality that I found in the writing. By the way, that third possibility kind of scares me. I knew I was hooked when some of your stories literally took my breath away, or would cause me to simply stop reading while I saw the scene playing out in my mind.

I will go back and read the stories again to throw in my two cents worth later. Apparently, I slept poorly last night because I feel like the walking dead right now, and it is 9:30 out here. Bleah.

Thank you to everyone for this round of Ceramic DM. It was fun and some great stories came out.

Sialia

First Post
whoa.

Attachments

• syyalea0001.jpg
    syyalea0001.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 273

Remove ads