Winter Ceramic DM™: THE WINNER!

Sialia

First Post
Here's an offer: anyone think it would be fun to use some of my illustrations for a round?

I doubt I can produce enough stuff for all pictures for all rounds, but between now and then I could probably come up with a few things that might work.

I could send a packet of stuff off to the lead judge and he/she could use them or not, mix freely with photos, whatever. I'd make sure they were fresh new ones no one has seen before.

Just a thought.

Curious about what I've been working on lately? Check out my new gallery:

http://www.enworld.org/modules.php?set_albumName=albuo99&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Zhaneel

First Post
Sialia said:
Here's an offer: anyone think it would be fun to use some of my illustrations for a round?

Fun, yes. With one caveat: The illistrator doesn't compete. Why? Because I think it would be unfair as you know the piece(s) better.

OTOH, if it is tradional that the previous winner not compete, then I don't see a problem at all.

Zhaneel

Sialia

First Post
Zhaneel said:
Fun, yes. With one caveat: The illistrator doesn't compete. Why? Because I think it would be unfair as you know the piece(s) better.
Yes, that's correct. I would rather illustrate than write next time around. I definitely don't want to judge.

If people prefer to stick to traditional photography instead, that's fine, too. I just thought it might be amusing to try something new.

For me, I'd have the fun of getting to produce something by a certain deadline, but with a much longer production period than the actual competition. I liked discovering that I'm able to crank vast volumes of stuff out in three days, but I don't think it tapped into my best work, which requires some percolation time.

And it would be a hoot to see some stories generated about some of my pictures.

Last edited:

mythago

Hero
That would be up the judge type people. :)

You could post some of 'em over in the Kiln-Fired Ceramic DM thread, for practice...

Sialia

First Post
mythago said:
That would be up the judge type people. :)

You could post some of 'em over in the Kiln-Fired Ceramic DM thread, for practice...
Well, the majority of what I currently have in inventory is already up in my new gallery (see sig). Folks can take a look and see the kind of things I'm doing and discuss whether it would work for our purposes.

For ceramic, I'd focus on stuff with more action and characters interacting. Also perhaps the chief justice might suggest a theme or two.

It'd be an interesting excercise to see if I could come up with sufficiently intriguing things that they'd be fun to write about.

I've set myself the goal of a sketch per day for the next month. Good stuff, I'll post. Excellent stuff, I'll hoard. We can review the set when the judge is ready to select stuff and see whether they are usuable. I'm going to assume these would be mixed with the usual bizarre photos, as it's unlikely there would be enough to do a full round.

But you never know. If folks give me enough good feedback, I might find myself more usefully prolific than I expected.

I can be really pathetically exhibitionist for praise cookies.

Sialia

First Post
Just fyi, one of the rules of the current excercise is that although I'm allowed to use Photoshop, I'm not allowed to start from any photos. So anything you see in the gallery, I built from a blank page, usally starting with actual paint before moving in to the electornic stuff.

This is a significant departure from the way we've done Ceramics in the past, so it's cool with me if we decide it's just too distracting.

The use of drawings/paintings would give us a flexibilty to include fantasy elements not typically found in photos, but it might also lose the surreal beauty of finding the extraordinary in things that purport to be photos of the true world, and leave us without the extraneous details that sometimes provide loopholes for writers.

So while it's certainly up to the judges to decide, it might be easier for them to make the call if people who have done the writing before weigh in with how they'd feel about getting stuck with stuff like these.

mythago

Hero
I'm pretty sure that alsih2o originally used drawings, or at least intended to. Not sure how we moved on to photos only...maybe because it's more of a challenge to find interesting photos of real stuff.

alsih2o

First Post
i did originally use drawing and such.

i am not sure how we got onto just photos either :)

i think the "drawings" bit is a good idea. i would be interested in seeing how it goes.

very sorry if i haven't been responding, we have company and life has been busy. :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases