• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E With Respect to the Door and Expectations....The REAL Reason 5e Can't Unite the Base

Imaro

Legend
Let me see if I can clarify the position of pemerton, Crazy Jerome, and TwoSix a bit. Their point is related to mechanics specifically. Forced narrative or a player imposing his agenda by way of bludgeoning the other players into submission is mechanics-neutral, and thus irrelevant to the discussion of what specific mechanics engender.

Each of the below mechanics will incentivize, and therefore frame the game around and operatively conditioning the players toward, a specific mode of operation which campaign style/genre and the accompanying fiction (in theory) then become an extension of.

Gold as XP: Attain the most gold possible while minimizing risk and through commitment of the least resources possibles toward that end so that further gold may be attained in the most efficient, and safe, manner possible.

Monsters as XP: Kill the most monsters possible while minimizing risk and through commitment of the least resources possibles toward that end so further monsters may be killed in the most efficient, and safe, manner possible.

Story/Plot-centric Quest as XP: Complete the quest, which requires specific (proactive) engagement with the fiction, while minimizing risk.

Use of each of these mechanical incentives attempts to prod the players (and their PCs by proxy) toward a specific end which, in turn, * tends to express itself within the fiction as a specific style (Heroic Adventure, Fantasy Vietnam, Mercenaries for the Highest Bidder, Amoral Raiders, etc).

Again, * can be undermined by an alpha player imposing their style agenda on the other players or a railroading DM imposing his story upon the players. However, this says nothing about what the mechanics themselves incentivize and thus attempt to engender.

Well I guess one of the disconnects I'm having with the argument being presented is that monster XP in 1e is so comparatively small that it doesn't count as an incentive to kill the Dragon Tyrant... Yet 4e's quest xp, which is comparatively small compared to XP gained from combat...is a big incentive for the main focus being to slay the Dragon Tyrant and liberate the kingdom... as opposed to say slay the Dragon Tyrant and take over the kingdom. This doesn't seem right.

Hussar

Legend
Well I guess one of the disconnects I'm having with the argument being presented is that monster XP in 1e is so comparatively small that it doesn't count as an incentive to kill the Dragon Tyrant... Yet 4e's quest xp, which is comparatively small compared to XP gained from combat...is a big incentive for the main focus being to slay the Dragon Tyrant and liberate the kingdom... as opposed to say slay the Dragon Tyrant and take over the kingdom. This doesn't seem right.

Umm, why would you say that quest xp is comparatively small? Quest xp should be equivalent to an encounter. So, we're talking about 10% of a level for a major quest, for each character. That's hardly small. It's actually equal to the xp you would get from combat.

Note, if you defeated the Dragon Tyrant, you'd actually get more from the major quest xp than from the tyrant itself, because the tyrant's xp would be divided between all PC's, while quest xp is not, it's full xp for each participant.

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
Umm, why would you say that quest xp is comparatively small? Quest xp should be equivalent to an encounter. So, we're talking about 10% of a level for a major quest, for each character. That's hardly small. It's actually equal to the xp you would get from combat.
I guess that depends on how many combats you typically engage in before you complete a major quest. If you go through 5 combats, it's not that bad. If you go through 20, then it's pretty small. I imagine this will differ by group, and what they consider a "major quest" (does the DMG gives a description of what constitutes one, or how often they should be used?).
Note, if you defeated the Dragon Tyrant, you'd actually get more from the major quest xp than from the tyrant itself, because the tyrant's xp would be divided between all PC's, while quest xp is not, it's full xp for each participant.
Is this normal for a "major quest" to be completed? If so, I'd imagine that you wouldn't take out the equivalent of the "Dragon Tyrant" (or other BBEG) often. If that's the case, I could see how people would place "major quest XP" as comparatively small based solely on frequency (the total % of your XP from quests is comparatively small to the XP earned by combats).

I don't know the specifics of awarding XP in D&D (any edition), just the generalities, so I'm just giving my input. As always, play what you like :)

Hussar

Legend
Well, a major quest should last several sessions, so, it's not out of line for it to not be the major source of xp. But, it's hardly the minor one either. It's essentially bonus xp.

Crazy Jerome

First Post

Besides what Hussar answered, it's also because in this discussion XP is not everything that affects the equation. It is an example of the kind of pervasive system issues (and "system" assumptions) that all push in one direction or another.

Personally, I've found the XP part to be rather minor for most players. But things like, "I'm a wizard with 12 hit points at 5th level, and darned proud to have those," "my wand of magic missiles will run out any day now," "this is my third wizard character in two months, Bob A and Bob B RIP," and "the green slime just dissolved our thief, Fred"--those tend to push away from Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, big hero style play. :D You put starting over at 1st level, XP issues, spell access limits, etc. on top of that, it tends to compound.

It might help to consider a parallel issue that could affect someone playing 4E--magic items and money. Nothing says you can't found strongholds, run them at a detailed level, do inter-city trading, etc. and really get into tracking gold pieces--basically "name level" AD&D style. If the DM really pushed, and the players really pushed, you could make 4E do that well enough for awhile. But a hundred little things about the system are constantly telling you, "that stuff doesn't matter--unless it has main heroic story consequences, and then only so much as it does."

It's the very pervasiveness of it that makes it hard to house rule. You can't simply slap on a stronghold building and costing system to 4E and make that aspect work. Such a system will help a little, but it's only a start to pull off that style. Well, changing the XP from quest, gold, or dead monsters is also a useful but insufficient change for turning AD&D away from Fantasy Vietnam.

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
Well, a major quest should last several sessions, so, it's not out of line for it to not be the major source of xp. But, it's hardly the minor one either. It's essentially bonus xp.
Bonus XP for advancing the story is something I enjoy, so that's good. In my RPG, XP is awarded based on "how much story was there?" (on a scale of 1-10, with descriptions and examples), and on "how much danger was there?" (on a scale of 1-10, with descriptions and examples). So, obviously, I'm a fan of story giving experience (and danger is explicitly not merely physical danger; social danger counts too, such as risking your reputation in court to vouch for someone).

At any rate, I was just throwing out why someone might describe the XP from quests as "comparatively small" in this discussion; depending on frequency (once every few sessions), it probably is. As always, play what you like :)

Good, full answer. Thank you Hussar. Hopefully those two are sufficient for Imaro and JC. I can compose an adventure XP map to further illuminate, if need be, but I would rather not ;)

Besides what Hussar answered, it's also because in this discussion XP is not everything that affects the equation. It is an example of the kind of pervasive system issues (and "system" assumptions) that all push in one direction or another.

<snip>

It might help to consider a parallel issue that could affect someone playing 4E--magic items and money. Nothing says you can't found strongholds, run them at a detailed level, do inter-city trading, etc. and really get into tracking gold pieces--basically "name level" AD&D style. If the DM really pushed, and the players really pushed, you could make 4E do that well enough for awhile. But a hundred little things about the system are constantly telling you, "that stuff doesn't matter--unless it has main heroic story consequences, and then only so much as it does."

It's the very pervasiveness of it that makes it hard to house rule. You can't simply slap on a stronghold building and costing system to 4E and make that aspect work. Such a system will help a little, but it's only a start to pull off that style. Well, changing the XP from quest, gold, or dead monsters is also a useful but insufficient change for turning AD&D away from Fantasy Vietnam.

This is a very good post by CJ and I think it provides insight into why the advocates of various systems appreciate them. There is a dissonance twixt the various rules sub-systems and design intentions for the earlier iterations for the game. The incoherency that followed allowed for/forcibly coerced the game to be considerably drifted (in both style and mechanical interface) from table to table to map to the DMs/players' tastes/interests. For many, this was the charm, or at least a very strong point, of those iterations. For 4e, as CJ illustrates above, the coherency of the ruleset and the design intent focused like a laser beam. You can attempt to drift 4e or "open it up" by tacking on incoherent sub-systems, but while you're doing so you will certainly get random "Your Right Door is Ajar" messages. For advocates, this is one of the shining beacons of 4e design. For many detractors, this is endless frustration as while they attempt to drift or play 4e AD&D style, they can't get the stupid door shut and shut the robot up.

pemerton

Legend
Personally 4e doesn't meet my definition of vancian. But maybe we argue over terms instead of the point.
In my case, I'm thinking that a 4e wizard gets to choose his/her daily spells and utility powers from a list after an extended rest. So it has the "choose and memorise after a rest" element of Vance.

Mustrum_Ridcully;5984338It would theoretically be possible to make 4E magic items much cooler if they were integrated more closely with the inherent character abilities. E.g. a Sword that gives you an Encounter Power you can use instead of one of your class encounter powers and is balanced against that power. Stuff like that could have made magic items much said:
That would be interesting.

I've used a few artefacts in my game - Rod of 7 Parts, The Sword of Kas (in a dormant form, so de-levelled to +3), and Whelm. I like them. But other items are mostly utilitarian - although the group recently made itself a Fire Horn, and that has quite a bit of colour even though its actual mechanics are pretty plain (it burdens foes with fire vulnerability).

pemerton

Legend
Heroic tales and myths often have scenes like this and, inspired by those, I'm confident DMs have been doing the very same for decades before 4e came along.
I don't think that's in dispute. But I can run the "liberate the land from the dragon tyrant" scenario in RuneQuest, too. That doesn't necessarily mean that RQ is well-suited to giving me what I'm looking for. In fact, classic RQ has certain features that will make it hard to run a heroic fantasy game (in particular, the grittiness of its combat). For the same sort of reason, Classic Traveller doesn't do Star Wars very well, although you could try it if you wanted to.

B/X doesn't suffer from gritty combat too badly (at least once you get to 3rd level). But it has other featurse - the XP system, the exploration mechanics, the time keeping rules, etc - which in my experience are impediments to running the sort of scenario I'm talking about.

Nor does 1e actively discourage it. The 1e DMG describes placement of treasure as rewards from the perspective of loot primarily, yes, but the important theme of that text is that magic placement should be logical and should be taken with care and that awards should feel earned and not cheap. I would argue that handing out the Sword of Kas to a 1st level adventurer about to enter the Caves of Chaos isn't appropriate care but having a mentor or other mysterious NPC give the PCs the magical gewgaw needed to fulfill the quest, even if powerful, is doing so.
Nowhere does the text canvass that magic items might be handed out by friendly NPCs. Every bit of text actually pushes the other way: NPC MUs won't share spell books, even if they're ultra-loyal henchmen; items must be earned; think very carefully about placing any treasure, let alone magic treasure, unguarded by any monster or trap; etc.

The first express discussion I'm familiar with, in a D&D book, of using friends and mentors rather than enemy or dungeon loot as a source of items, is in the 3E Oriental Adventures book.

AD&D was so chock full of flavorful characters, items, spells, etc. that you were encouraged as a DM to explore them. And I think you are correct that 1E doesn't actively discourage you from doing so.

<snip>

On the other hand, there are a lot of indirect pieces, especially the nature of the system itself, that do end up discouraging you after awhile
When I think about the discussion of treasure placement in Moldvay Basic and Gygax's AD&D, there is no canvassing at all that a PC might be gifted a powerful magic item by a mysterious hermit. The entire text is framed around the assumption that magic is a powerful reward, which has to be balanced against the risks of obtaining it. Recovering a lost magic item is one of the sample Moldvay scenarios, from memory - and there is no implication that this will be a social, as opposed to an operational, challenge.

The same vibe is present in the unofficial texts from the same period (eg Lewis Pulsipher's stuff in White Dwarf).

And if you want to do it as a social challenge, where is the system support? And how much treasure is appropriate? I'm not saying it can't be done - as I said, you can do Star Wars in Traveller if you really want to. But you're pushing against the text and the rules to do so.

4E has the opposite problem. The system is pushing and screaming at you to have a direct, rollicking game. But then a lot of the material it gives you is rather bland, which means the DM job is to pick out the good stuff and/or bring his own good stuff from outside the game. This is an indirect drag. (4E is hurt here by bloat. Edited down to 25% to 50% of its best, the good stuff would be easier to find.)
I don't disagree with that at all!

I would argue there's a difference between setting up the Dragon Tyrant as an antagonist because killing him drives the story, and setting him as an obstacle to prevent the characters from gaining gold and experience.

The result might be the same, but I think making the opponent the focus versus the reward as the focus changes the game's feel.
Definitely. And it then also goes to how the gameplay unfolds. In a loot focused game of the AD&D variety, having enough sacks and backpacks is a big part of play. I mean, have a look at the example in Appendix O of the DMG: they find loot, and they have to empty their pockets of rations and fill their sacks and backpacks. And the rules text emphasises this operational issue of how much loot weights, how the PCs are going to carry it out, etc, etc.

That stuff adds nothing to a scenario about liberating the lands from the dragon tyrant.

"Thematic play" is essentially meaningless without a qualification of what the campaign's themes are. If one of the themes is that the world is a dangerous place and trouble could lurk around any corner, then the wandering monster makes great sense. That may be grittier than your preferred view of a campaign's themes, but plenty of players seem to like it.
"Thematic play" in the sense I'm using it isn't that meaningless. Yes, in some sense every text has a theme. But in another familiar sense, Graham Greene's books have thematic content while airport thrillers don't.

Here is an expression of the contrast in mechanical terms:

Concrete example . . . Simulationism over-riding Narrativism

A weapon does precisely the same damage range regardless of the emotional relationship between wielder and target. (True for RuneQuest, not true for Hero Wars)

This argument still seems weird to me... it's sort of like me taking the fact that one of the tenets expressed about the 4e world in the DMG is that "monsters are everywhere"... and then claiming 4e doesn't support this very well because there are no tables for wandering monsters in the corebook and it actively encourages longer set piece battles... as opposed to more numerous smaller battles.

Is this basically similar to the argument you're making?
I don't know. Have you had trouble running a "monsters are everywhere" game using 4e? I haven't, but I'm not you. (I use other techniques than wandering monster tables to run my "monsters are everywhere" game.)

I have had trouble running epic, thematic games in classic D&D. The rules don't support it. And in fact they actively get in the way.

It also appears to me that the argument was about what the system rewarded and thus framed around xp. That seems to assume the driving force is still xp, regardless of story.
There is a game that tries to keep classic D&D mechanics intact, while using "story" to drive the game. It is called 2nd ed AD&D. I have pretty much the orthodox Forge view of that system: I want the mechanics to serve my goals in play, not push against them.

the focus will be what your players decide their character's motivation is, correct? Why can the Dragon Tyrant only be one or the other? Can't he be an obstacle for some players and an "antagonist" for others?

Some players want to heroically defeat the Dragon Tyrant and free the land, and for those players the focus is the death of the Dragon Tyrant... on the other hand some players will want to loot the treasure vaults of the Dragon Tyrant and for them their focus will be on looting the vaults... through the death of the Dragon Tyrant. These just seem to be more questions of player motivation than of the DM imposing some arbitrary categorization on the Dragon Tyrant or dictating what their motivations should be.
There are two ways of interpreting what you describe here.

One is at the RPG scenario level: some PCs are heroes, other mercenaries (Star Wars is a well-known example; the Seven Samurai is another). If I wanted to run that scenario , it strikes me as obvious that Burning Wheel would do a better job, because it would both support the competing PC motivations and bring them into conflict in an interesting and mechanically mediated way. (I'm sure there are other systems, too, that could do as good a job as Burning Wheel.)

But if you are talking at the actual table level - some players want to play a heroic game, others want to play an operational mercenary game - then I can already feel the balance of power issues, and I'm not even sitting down to play yet! If I run this group using classic D&D rules and GM them Gygax's way, then the heroic players will, I think, have the game pushing against them at nearly every turn. If, instead, I GM it the 2nd ed way, then I will have to use a lot of GM force to suspend and manipulate the action resolution mechanics (and perhaps other aspects of the mechanis as well). The operational players won't get what they're looking for. The heroic players may or may not, depending how important protagonism is to them. Neither is an experiment I particularly care to carry out in practice!

Anyway, when I talk about an epic, thematic game, I'm not talking about PC motivations - one of the more memorable PCs that I GMed was a self-loathing traitor to his city and beliefs, who died (multiple times - it was a gonzo-fantasy game with ressurection available) as a consequence of his drug addiction, and at the hands of the demon's summoned by his evil wizard "friend" and overlord. I'm talking about what I and the players are getting out of the game.

I am trying to see where worldbuilding or camapign setting vs. game rules comes into play here?
I'm talking about rules, not setting. Action resolution rules. Character build rules. Treasure placement rules. Pacing rules (which in classic D&d mostly involves timekeeping). Which is a good chunk of the overall suite of classic D&D rules.

In other words the tools to support and reward this type of play were there, you just had to use them
Tell me what they were. You mentioned the 4e DarkSun book - ie you're pointing at a book. Tell me what the classic D&D book was that I missed (other than Oriental Adventures, which I've already mentioned).

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
Nowhere does the text canvass that magic items might be handed out by friendly NPCs. Every bit of text actually pushes the other way: NPC MUs won't share spell books, even if they're ultra-loyal henchmen; items must be earned; think very carefully about placing any treasure, let alone magic treasure, unguarded by any monster or trap; etc.

I don't need the rules to tell me that magic items might be handed out by friendly NPCs. There are tons of examples out there in the literature the game emulates and will likely inspire me to play in the first place.

But yes, items must be earned and appropriate. And if a character's destiny or previous actions earn him the Sword of McGuffin, which he will need in the Great Crunchberry Quest, then it makes sense to give it to him. The point is the awarding of the sword is well considered and logical and appropriate to the situation and not a cheap giveaway.

"Thematic play" in the sense I'm using it isn't that meaningless. Yes, in some sense every text has a theme. But in another familiar sense, Graham Greene's books have thematic content while airport thrillers don't.

Here is an expression of the contrast in mechanical terms:

Concrete example . . . Simulationism over-riding Narrativism

A weapon does precisely the same damage range regardless of the emotional relationship between wielder and target. (True for RuneQuest, not true for Hero Wars)

Claiming that Graham Green's books have thematic content but airport thrillers don't is a bit of snobbery. Most literature has thematic content, just not all are very deep or well developed. But saying that something has thematic content doesn't say anything about the specifics of the theme. That's why saying "thematic content" really doesn't say anything valuable, particularly when trying to imply that wandering monsters are a waste of time and focus. There are themes they'll work fine with.
Your concrete example, I'm sorry, isn't offering any help in explaining what you mean. Is the damage range of a sword somehow related to the theme of the campaign? What theme is that - that you are most capable of hurting the ones you love (or hate)? I'm not really getting anything concrete here.​

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads