• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wizard helping fighter from being grappled

Allegro

First Post
I’m looking for ways a 12th level wizard could help a fighter who is grappled get out of the grapple. Assume the wizard couldn't just kill the monster do to spell resistance.

My short list is:
  • Heroics (improved grapple)
  • Displacement (avoid getting grappled again)
  • Enlarge person (bigger)
  • Bull strength (enhancement bonus, doesn't stack)
  • Summon monster and benign transposition

Anybody else have an idea?

Doug McCrae

Legend
Allegro said:
Unfortunately an escape artist attempt can not be used to resist the grapple; only to escape it.
My reading of the text is that grease boosts grapple checks as well as just Escape Artist checks.

"A creature wearing greased armor or clothing gains a +10 circumstance bonus on Escape Artist checks and on grapple checks made to resist or escape a grapple or to escape a pin."

Infiniti2000

First Post
thompgc said:
Ray of Enfeeblement on the monster (not so good if monster has SR)
Also, not so good if you hit the ally. As a ranged attack, you could hit either grappler randomly. ;)

Freedom of Movement isn't so easy for a wizard t acquire, but it's certainly the best choice against being grappled. So, buy the fighter a ring of freedom of movement. :D

SM + Benign Transposition is my sorcerer's choice. Very useful for crossing pits filled with ankhegs, too.

azhrei_fje

First Post
Which book is Benign Transposition in? I don't see it in the SRD....

What if the OP had wanted core rules only? It seems like dimension door would be the best in that case, right?

Doug McCrae

Legend
Allegro said:
Heroics (improved grapple)
Heroics (Close-Quarters Fighting) would be better. CQF is from Complete Warrior. It gives the fighter an AoO whenever an attempt is made to grapple him, even if the grappler has improved grapple or improved grab. The damage from the AoO is then added to his check to resist the grapple.

Double good!

Stalker0

Legend
Doug McCrae said:
Heroics (Close-Quarters Fighting) would be better. CQF is from Complete Warrior. It gives the fighter an AoO whenever an attempt is made to grapple him, even if the grappler has improved grapple or improved grab. The damage from the AoO is then added to his check to resist the grapple.

Double good!

Yep, not the sexiest feat, but against big things with improved grab you can't beat close quarters fighting.

Remove ads