• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wizard Spells

Mort_Q

First Post
Rashak Mani said:
Nothing stops you from using shifting back 1 square away from melee monsters and just using Scorching Burst instead of Thunderwave. (Burst 1 = 3x3)

Which 3 at-will would you suggest ? Is MM that useless ?

Nothing save monsters that have interrupts for such things, such as a fighter template.

MM can be used in conjunction with other powers as it is considered a basic attack, so it's also useful.

Decisions, decisions.

Rashak Mani said:
Wisdom modifier damage only... not much.

Thus the use of the word minion.

Khaim

First Post
Mort_Q said:
Cloud of Daggers is useful for turning a doorway, or the like, into a minion abattoir.
Yeah, except that any halfway intelligent minion isn't going to run through the cloud of sharp glass and kill itself. Certainly not after the guy in front just killed himself that way.

Cloud of Daggers seems bad. I could be wrong on this, but I don't think so. The other four wizard at-wills all seem useful in various situations: magic missile for long range (and a bit more damage), ray of frost for slow, scorching burst for AoE, and thunderwave for the push and for being a close power.

And this is a good thing. I don't see many other classes with four good at-wills.

abyssaldeath

First Post
There are plenty of monsters that can shift with you or attack you when you shift. This is where forced movement becomes very important. Unlike 3e taking a five foot step just isn't enough anymore.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Nifft said:
Thunderwave is a good choice because:
  • Even if you do not seek close combat, close combat may seek you.
  • Pushing foes away from you is good.
  • Pushing foes into fire is awesome.

Cheers, -- N
Also: No opportunity attack, which seals the deal. It's basically the "Get Away from me!"-button.

Cheers, LT.

Mort_Q

First Post
Minions don't know they're minions... if the DM is playing them that way, the DM is making an error imho. But yes, after the first few die, they may try to find a way around... but think of the volunteers trying to get past the first test in Last Crusade...

A minion should risk the uncertainty of going forward over the certainty of the fate of retreating and facing the wrath of their leader.

Rashak Mani

First Post
Question about Flaming Sphere:

It says any creature that "starts its turn next to the sphere takes 1d4+INT" (no save.. wow)

Does that include the creature that I attacked and took the initial 2d6+INT ? Which means the original target always gets hit for both damages ?

If I use a Move to move the sphere up to 6 squares. Does that count as "sustaining" it ? Or I still have to use a Minor action to sustain and Move action to move it ?

Also... does Flaming Sphere gain constant bonus if it came from an Action point use ?

Last edited:

WereMike

First Post
Khaim said:
Yeah, except that any halfway intelligent minion isn't going to run through the cloud of sharp glass and kill itself. Certainly not after the guy in front just killed himself that way.
Precisely. In this case, COD keeps the minions at bay, eliminating one of the minions' purpose for existing: as cannon fodder to distract, occupy, or otherwise hold up the PC while the "boss" continues to do bad-guy things.

VannATLC

First Post
Forced Movement is where Cloud of Daggers is fun!

But yes. Its weaksauce. Wisdom makes no sense, for a start. If the other force spells are all Int, so should Cloud of Daggers.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Rashak Mani said:
Question about Flaming Sphere:

It says any creature that "starts its turn next to the sphere takes 1d4+INT" (no save.. wow)

Does that include the creature that I attacked and took the initial 2d6+INT ? Which means the original target always gets hit for both damages ?

If I use a Move to move the sphere up to 6 squares. Does that count as "sustaining" it ? Or I still have to use a Minor action to sustain and Move action to move it ?
Flaming Sphere is great for damage. It's my favorite 1st level spell.

YES! You totally get to hit your primary target twice. (Unless the critter is moved by someone else before its turn.)

You must spend two actions to move and sustain, and a third action to attack. That's all your actions. Still, 2d6+Int is better than what you'd get out of Magic Missile, so I count it as a net gain.

The other great thing is that it's a Conjuration, which means you can use it to block off an area.

Cheers, -- N

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads