• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wizard Spells

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Mort_Q said:
Minions don't know they're minions... if the DM is playing them that way, the DM is making an error imho.
On the other hand... would *you* step into a cloud of whirling glass? That's rather an argument that other creatures are played wrong! ;)

Cheers, LT.

VannATLC

First Post
Rashak Mani said:
Question about Flaming Sphere:

It says any creature that "starts its turn next to the sphere takes 1d4+INT" (no save.. wow)

Does that include the creature that I attacked and took the initial 2d6+INT ? Which means the original target always gets hit for both damages ?
Yes. During that Creatures turn, it will take that damage.

If I use a Move to move the sphere up to 6 squares. Does that count as "sustaining" it ? Or I still have to use a Minor action to sustain and Move action to move it ?
Both actions to move it. A sustain, and then the Move.

Also... does Flaming Sphere gain constant bonus if it came from an Action point use ?

You mean if you have an AP power that increases Damage? I'm not sure.

Regicide

Banned
Banned
Rashak Mani said:
Am I focusing too much on damage ?

There are other choices?

My 2 cents, scorching burst really is awesome. Ranged AE clears out minions and does decent damage against the bosses. My choice for best at will.

Thunderwave is good when you're surprised and surrounded since it won't cause OA's, but standing back 10 squares and casting scorching burst every round is going to be more common.

Mort_Q

First Post
Lord Tirian said:
On the other hand... would *you* step into a cloud of whirling glass? That's rather an argument that other creatures are played wrong! ;)

Cheers, LT.

Depends on what my other choices are.

Trevelyan

First Post
In our game at the London Dungeon last night, the Eladrin Wizard made a lot if use of Thunderwave, probably more so than magic missile.

In a game where difficult terrain, dangerous features on the map and an array of interrupt and similar abilities from monsters play a significant part, the ability to push a guy away before you move is far better than shiftng and then launching a sorching burst.

Plus, with scorching burst even if you do shift and attach the guy safely, he's still only 1 square away and likely to hit you again next turn. With thunderwave you're going to be moving him back two or three squares and then moving away (or around) so you can put a much nicer 9 square space between you under optimal conditions.

And that's only against a single enemy, if you're pinned down by two or three guys then shifting to safty may not be an option in the first place, and Thunderwave is the only close combat option a wizard has at-will.

For the record, I'd still rate MM as my top choice (nostalgia, range and damage in that order). Thunderwave is useful as above. Scorching burst would be my third choice (the benefits of a human wizard) to cover the triad of ranged, close and area.

Clound of daggers is functionally too much like a weak MM once minions behave intelligently, and the slow effect vs Fort of the ice blast power is enticing, but, IMO, it's rare that you'll face a single fast enemy without a more potent option to hand. Multiple foes or a better attack render slow vs one monster less useful than the other powers.

One of the fighter multiclassing into wizard builds determined that Thunderwave was a good spell to have, even though Scorching Burst gives a multiclass fighter an option they never could get as just a fighter.

Magic Missile's greatest advantage is that it can be used as a basic ranged attack. Especially useful if you have a Warlord who has all these powers which triggers basic attacks from allies.

Rashak Mani

First Post
I see Schorching Burst as the only "must have" spell... yet it seems others don't think so...

Magic Missile is very nostalgic... :cool:

- - - - -

Is combat so minion oriented now ?

Mort_Q

First Post
Rashak Mani said:
Is combat so minion oriented now ?

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking.

Minions are not new, but the minion mechanic as an official rule is. I doubt DMs will use them all the time, but they're nice and cinematic and can be used to great effect.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads