Wizard vs Cleric concentration item

cthulhu42

Explorer
Awhile ago I started a post concerning how an item or feat that granted the ability to concentrate on a second concentration spell would affect the game. Ultimately I decided to toss one into my high level game just to kind of see what happens.

I decided on a ring. I didn't get too fancy, it simply gives the wearer to concentrate on a second spell.

Oh, and it may also be cursed. But that's beside the point.

The point being that I'd assumed that the party wizard would get it, and initially he did. But our cleric did some wheeling and dealing and ended up with it.

I'm a little disappointed at this turn of events because I really wanted to see how it would work out in the hands of a wizard, but oh well.

But it did get me to wondering who really is better off with this ring.

I'm guessing it would be the wizard, but that's just my gut talking. I play exclusively wizards on those rare occasions when I do get to play, and I've never once played a cleric in all these many years. So I'm probably not the best judge.

So what do you think? Who's going to benefit more from this item? A cleric or a wizard?

Full info, our wizard is an evoker and the cleric is tempest, but I'm more interested in the general wiz vs cleric question.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Awhile ago I started a post concerning how an item or feat that granted the ability to concentrate on a second concentration spell would affect the game. Ultimately I decided to toss one into my high level game just to kind of see what happens.

I decided on a ring. I didn't get too fancy, it simply gives the wearer to concentrate on a second spell.

Oh, and it may also be cursed. But that's beside the point.

The point being that I'd assumed that the party wizard would get it, and initially he did. But our cleric did some wheeling and dealing and ended up with it.

I'm a little disappointed at this turn of events because I really wanted to see how it would work out in the hands of a wizard, but oh well.

But it did get me to wondering who really is better off with this ring.

I'm guessing it would be the wizard, but that's just my gut talking. I play exclusively wizards on those rare occasions when I do get to play, and I've never once played a cleric in all these many years. So I'm probably not the best judge.

So what do you think? Who's going to benefit more from this item? A cleric or a wizard?

Full info, our wizard is an evoker and the cleric is tempest, but I'm more interested in the general wiz vs cleric question.

The answer is "it depends", but part of it that it depends on is the makeup of the party and the wizard spellbook, both of which you know.

Wizards have the widest spell list of any class. So they could potentially have the most varied collection of concentration-required spells and really shine in any situation. I'd think this would be a really powerful advantage.

Clerics do have some really good concentration spells, but not the same width. And while it could be used on things like spiritual guardians and spiritual hammer, a place the cleric does shine is buffing. Even a simple spell like Bless (perhaps upcast to include more of the party) can make a big difference if your party makeup has a lot that use (weapon/spell) attack rolls and potentially has treats like SharpShooter and Great Weapon Mastery where a bonus to hit can be traded for a bigger bonus to damage - while also doing some other buff as well. Wizards can do that as well to some extent, but I think the cleric may have the better party buffs.

So in the generic I'd tend towards a high level wizard being able to do more with it, but a cleric can be a real workhorse that is a force multiplier to the party.

Oh, and I think a sorcerer with it would also be interesting. Their spell list is much narrower then wizard or cleric and they can't change out, but doing things like twinning haste and twinning greater invisibility could make two really nasty combatants.

Bard signature spells are mostly concentration, but with so much crowd control it might not as useful to double up on two of that category. Depends on the situation.

WaterRabbit

Explorer
Given the large amount of Druid spells that require concentration, I would think a Druid would benefit most from a second concentration slot.

5ekyu

Hero
Since ritual casting and any more than 1 action cast requires concentration period - i would look at characters within the group with long duration concentration effects *plus* long cast spells or rituals.

Got any hour or 8 hour concentration spells? Got any 1m casts? Wanns reset your abjurer ward with ritual alarm?

Go to front of the line.

aco175

Legend
This is like when I gave out a ring of protection, thinking it would go to the mage or thief who had the lowest AC, but it went to the fighter in plate mail.

I can see the cleric taking it since he may be in combat more than the wizard and think that his buff spells can help more.

CTurbo

Explorer
If I were to build a character around an item that allowed concentration on two spells at a time, I think I would choose Cleric. Pretty much run Bless ALL the time along with another spell like Spirit Guardians or imagine running Bless and Bane at the same time lol.

Sorcerer would probably be my second pick with Con save proficiency and the ability to cast two twinned concentration spells would be pretty ridiculous.

Bard would be great being able to cherry pick all the best concentration spells.

Most of the Tempest's domain spells require concentration. Fog Cloud, Gust of Wind, Call Lightning, Sleet Storm, Control Water, and Insect Plague

mortwatcher

Explorer
I mean concentrating on animate objects to do bonus action significant damage and have another concentration (like fly/haste or CC spell going) seems pretty good. I am not sure about the cleric list, like bless, don't think its that much worth at higher levels, since martials will be missing on rolls 5 or lower, so won't come up that often anymore.

Remove ads