D&D General Wizards are not rational/scientists

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
The thing about wizardly magic is that it implies, to me, is that knowing something can give magic in a D&D world. But if we take the rules as physics (because otherwise my argument makes no sense) the average person can't do magic just because they learned a fact. Something weird is going on: Is wizarding power really based solely on knowing? Or do the spells they pore over change their minds so they can make stuff happen?

Who's really in control? 👽

At least with warlock pacts you know you're at the mercy of something....
Very Vancian. I like it.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
by the lore of DnD anything above cantrips requires access to a Spellbook which are studied daily. That means that Wizards are tied to being Scholars, who learn spells via extensive study and memorisation of various formulaic expressions, fixed ingredients and methodical gestures.
It may not be science but it is a structured and formal method of understanding magic in order to get consistent, predictable and repeatable results.
A scholar can still be obsessed, especially one at the purely experiemental stage exploring processes that are entirely theoretical (like unknown magic spells) but that doesnt define their profession, its just a quirk of personality

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Wizards can be absolutely bonkers, but I don't think any more so than other spellcasters. You can have the crazy Halasters of the world next to the studious Mordenkainens and Elminsters.

I think part of the problem (if you can call it that) of wizards having to study with no help of bloodline or pact is due to the sorcerer stealing the old school story element of magic in the blood, I tend to still hold that wizards also have magic in the blood and just bring it about in a different way to a sorcerer, if you don't have that spark of magic, then no magic for you.

I'd also think that the image of the crazy wizard in the opening post would be perfect for a warlock, making pacts with entities beyond the ken of mortals is likely to break your mind.

Stormonu

Legend
Yeah, don't agree. To me wizards get their power by research and rote. They investigate how and why magic works and then reproduce those effects by study and repetition. They write down formulas, gesticulations and materia in books and pass it between each other or hand them down to apprentices. Only those who can wrap their head around these static, arcane formulas and reproduce them in exacting, esoteric detail can coax magic to work for them. They are, essentially, the Lawful casters.

Sorcerers don't have to do that. They don't peruse musty tomes, practice body-twisting rituals and whatnot. They snap their fingers, and it happens. In comparison to wizards, they're the Chaotic casters. They're the ones who wield weird powers or are in some ways just "off", because for them, magic just happens.

Then come warlocks. They make a deal directly or from a pact handed down through generations, or just plain steal power and use it for their own devices. They could be considered the Neutral casters, because they use or manipulate ancient contracts to seize power for themselves - which may or may not preclude them from certain actions or activities depending on their power base.

MattW

Explorer
As usual, Terry Pratchett has a good insight into this fantasy stereotype. We only need to look at Unseen University (and its High Energy Magic building).

SOME Wizards really want to be scientists. However, they all accept that there is some sort of innate talent that is required to be a wizard

Others, of course, realise that the best ways of approaching magic are
1. Eating very large dinners
2. Hitting the problem with a 6-foot-long staff made of VERY solid wood
3. Running away

Oofta

Legend
I don't think there is one type of wizard, nor does there need to be. It's all just words on paper so we can implement it any way we want.

But being the equivalent of a physicist makes the most sense to me. They need to memorize formulas, repeat specific words and gestures exactly. Meanwhile wizards are infamous for experimenting, creating, innovating.

Are some looney toons? Sure. Others are the most stable individuals ever. Just like most other classes.

Iry

Hero
Dragonlance seems to split the difference. You have novel examples of Wizards memorizing extensive arcane formula, complete with material, verbal, and somatic components... and then forgetting what they memorized when the formula/ritual/spell is cast. But then you have references to extensive mental exercise making you more mentally fit to memorize increasingly complex formulas. And then you ALSO have the Gods of Magic granting a reservoir of power to draw upon, which they both increase as the caster proves themselves worthy and grant as necessary for quests.

Remove ads