WotC World Reveal of Baldur's Gate 3

At PAX East today, gameplay footage of Baldur's Gate 3 was revealed for the first time by Larian...

At PAX East today, gameplay footage of Baldur's Gate 3 was revealed for the first time by Larian Studios.

According to PC Gamer, the Early Access version of the game will launch this year with five characters:
  • Wyll, Human Warlock
  • Shadowheart, Half-elf Cleric
  • Lae'zel, Githyanki Fighter
  • Gale, Human Wizard
  • Astarion, Elven Vampire Spawn Rogue
And you'll be able to create characters using these six classes:
  • Fighter (Battle Master, Eldritch Knight)
  • Wizard (Evocation, Abjuration)
  • Rogue (Arcane Trickster, Thief)
  • Ranger (Hunter, Beast Master)
  • Cleric (Life, Light, Trickery)
  • Warlock (Fiend, Great One)
15 races include (amongst others):
  • Elves
  • Dwarves
  • Humans
  • Githyanki
  • Drow
  • Tieflings
  • Vampire Spawn

LLH1BPJ.png

qlR4Bmg.jpg

jEeuWft.jpg

8Gic926.jpg

OLP0YhI.jpg

EsNTlWm.jpg
QzN9a7C.jpg
knMpJyl.jpg
uRbTbmp.jpg
drYBkxb.jpg
PhUpxaP.jpg
PM2ysZc.jpg
2htLlMr.jpg

Teemu

Hero
Plenty of successful and well-received video games are turn-based. It's hardly an ancient relic of tabletop gaming.

Larian's previous hit was a turn-based RPG. One of the most successful video game RPGs of the past few years, both critically and commercially. Why would they abandon their tried and true turn-based approach when it's worked so well for them so far? And for a game using D&D as its basis?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Mearls could literally have Larian Studios elevate D&D to the next level, but instead he chooses to enforce them to adhere to the 5e ruleset to the T. When the DMG says "If a rule stands in the way of your game, throw it out."

Just shows that Mearls cares more about his own legacy than collaborating with Vicke & Team. Which is what I feared would happen.

Sadly this fail will mostly affect Vicke who will be held responsible for this shortcoming by many. It was an impossible project to begin with. I know how much Vicke loved Baldurs Gate and I wished he had the creative freedom that he needed to create the true successor, that he envisioned.
I’m pretty sure it’s Larian’s decision to stick to the 5e rules, not Mearls.

Vicke has been wildly enthusiastic about modeling 5e D&D as Exactly as possible since day one.

miggyG777

Explorer
Also: Early access? Really. I may be too old for this and don't understand how beta testing works nowadays. But a story driven RPG of the epicness and scale that a BG3 should have and then it gets released in early access? Are they running out of funds or what?

Remove ads

Remove ads