• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Worlds of Design: Baseline Assumptions of Fantasy RPGs

You can write a set of fantasy role-playing game (FRPG) rules without specifying a setting, but there’s a default or baseline setting assumed by virtually everyone when no setting is specified. Moreover, some rules (e.g. the existence of plate armor, and large horses) imply things about technology and breeding in the setting.

You can write a set of fantasy role-playing game (FRPG) rules without specifying a setting, but there’s a default setting assumed by virtually every FRPG. Moreover, some rules (e.g. the existence of plate armor, and large horses) imply things about technology and breeding in the setting.

fantasybasics.jpg

Picture courtesy of Pixabay.

The Basics of FRPG​

All FRPGs start with some assumptions built into the setting, some of them so innocuous that gamers might not even realize they're assumptions to begin with. For example the assumption that there are horses large enough to be ridden, even though for thousands of years of history, horses weren’t large enough for riding (the era of war chariots from about 1700-1000 BCE, and the era before that of infantry only).

Familiarity vs. strangeness is an important question for any worldbuilder to answer. What are gamers familiar with? That tends to be the default. J. R. R. Tolkien’s works (Lord of the Rings, Hobbit, etc.) are nearly a default setting for many, as in the dwarves and elves who are quite different from traditional stories of dwarves and elves. You could argue that the default setting is more Tolkien than it is medieval European, but he largely adopted Late Medieval European (1250-1500), so I prefer to refer to that.

The question is, do you want your ruleset, or your campaign setting, to follow the default? An early example of great deviation from the default was the wonderfully different world of Tekumel (Empire of the Petal Throne, and a few novels). A “different” FRPG might posit no monsters at all, perhaps not even elves and dwarves, just a lot of humans, yet never explicitly say so: if you leave out rules for monsters and humanoid races other than humans, you have a different-than-baseline setting, even if you didn't consciously make that decision. But be warned: too much unfamiliarity may make some players uncomfortable.

Are there baseline assumptions for science fiction? There seems to be so much variety, I wouldn’t try to pin it down.

The Baseline

What ARE the baseline assumptions? In general, they are mostly late medieval (not “Dark Ages” (500-1000) or High Medieval (1000-1250), as FRPGs tend to be magic grafted to later medieval Europe. In no particular order here is a list of categories for baseline assumptions that I’ll discuss specifically:
  • Transportation
  • Communication
  • State of Political Entities
  • Commonality of Magic
  • Commonality of Adventurers
  • Commonality of Monsters
  • Length of History and Rate of Change
  • Level of Technology
  • Warfare and the Military
  • Religion
  • Demography
  • Climate

Transportation

Wooden sailing vessels, late medieval style. In calm waters such as landlocked seas and lakes, galleys; in wild waters (such as oceans), small sailing vessels. River barges much preferable to poor roads and carts. And are there wonderful roads left by or maintained by an Empire (Rome)? See "Medieval Travel & Scale."

Communication

Proceeds at the rate of travel, by horse or by ship. In other words, very slow by modern standards. Even as late as 1815, the Battle of New Orleans was fought after the War of 1812 had ended (in 1814), but before news of the treaty had reached Louisiana from Europe.

State of Political Entities

Monarchies and lower level independent states (such as Duchies) ruled by “the man in charge” (very rarely, a woman). Nobles. States, not nations (the people rarely care which individual is actually in charge). Castles are so defensible that it’s fairly easy for subordinate nobles to defy their superiors. There are small cities (5-10,000 usually), not really large ones (over 100,000 people).

Commonality of Magic

Magicians are usually rare, secretive folk. Few people ever see any manifestation of magic. In some cases the church or the government tries to suppress magic. See "The Four Stages of Magic."

Commonality of Adventurers

Magicians, knights, powerful clerics, all are rare. 1 in 500 people? 1 in 10,000?

Commonality of Monsters

Human-centric. Monsters are usually individuals rather than large groups. Intelligent monsters are rare. (Here Tolkien’s influence, the great orc/goblin hordes, often overrides European influence.) Undead may be common. Dragons are “legendary.”

Length of History and Rate of Change

Slow pace of change of technology. Awareness of the greater days of a “universal empire” in the past (such as Rome), now gone. Technology changed much faster in late medieval times, than in Tolkien’s Middle-earth.

Level of Technology

Late medieval, or possibly less. (Late medieval for the technology necessary to make full plate armor, if nothing else.) See "When Technology Changes the Game."

Warfare and the Military

Wars rarely changed borders much (Late Medieval) - the great migrations have ended. Wars certainly aren’t national wars, the common people are spectators. See "The Fundamental Patterns of War."

Religion

What we’re used to in later medieval times is a universal monotheistic church (Catholicism), though with foreign churches of different stripe (Orthodox Christian, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist). But in games, more often the setting seems to derive from older, pantheon-based, religions.

Demography

Density of population is low. Depends on whether the local area is frontier or settled. Cities are population sinks (high mortality rates). There may be stories of a Great Plague (later-1340s and onward in Europe).

Climate

Temperate medieval European (more often, English (governed by the Gulf Stream)), with fairly cool summers so that full armor is not impossibly hot. (Imagine wearing full armor when the average summer high is 91 degrees F, as in northern Florida.) But winters are much less severe than in the northern USA. (Modern European climate is currently getting much warmer than in late medieval times.)

Your Turn: Do you see the default setting as different that what I’ve summarized?

Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Dragon, White Dwarf, Fiend Folio
That some people can learn a skill (check) and that those people are common enough you can find one (check) and they are selling their services (Check)

So... Blacksmithing is not something a normal person could learn right? I mean, people do learn it, and blacksmiths can be found in most cities, but they do sell their services, indicating a certain amount of rarity. So, it would be completely unreasonable for a person to learn how to be a blacksmith in less than a decade right?

Oh wait. You're going to say magic is harder than that.

So... alchemy/chemistry is not something a normal person could learn right? I mean, people do learn it, and alchemists can be found in most cities, but they do sell their services, indicating a certain amount of rarity. So, it would be completely unreasonable for a person to learn how to be an alchemist in less than a decade right?

Oh wait. You're going to say magic is harder than that.

So, what skill is it that people can learn that takes so much effort to learn that nearly no one could learn it? That even the richest, most powerful people in the world, with the most free time in the world, cannot be expected to put themselves through that much time and effort to learn that skill?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is a horrifically poor interpretation of my position. I'm using wizard to refer to "person who studied how to use arcane magic and does so successfully". I am referring to the ability, which is iconic for the class.

Obviously farmers exist, and obviously they would have skills and abilities. The game doesn't give us any of them, there is no skill except nature that would cover what they can do.

That is not only terrible world-building, but lazy world-building. Going forth with the assumption that nothing changes even if you change everything is exactly how we get travesties like "Bright"

At this point you are literally just talking about plot armor.

And you can only really build parody worlds on the assumption of plot armor, not worlds for more series stories.

I'm not saying Plot Armor doesn't exists, it is something you can never really get rid of, but you can't build your world on the assumption that plot armor is real in universe.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sure, but you can't build a coherent, serious world on the assumption that "heroes do heroic things and have no explanation"

Now, I'm going to fully admit, I really enjoy the type story telling where they explore the edge cases. I like things like the comic of She-Hulk helping a man sue for the industrial accident that gave him powers, or a comic focused on the super-human people who rebuild New York twice a week because it got blown up again.

If we had flying monsters in the mountains, we wouldn't go mountain climbing, and so you wouldn't see sports gear showcasing mountain climbers, nor would you see pristine icy mountains used in beer advertisements.

And I'm not saying that this is all bad, I recognize that plot armor and quick and dirty world-building happen, and for a two hour movie that's fine. But if you want to craft a 400 hour immersive experience? Those cracks can show really fast.
Well, in terms of explanations of heroes in legend and myth, that's part of the mythology. Heracles is the son of Zeus, or whatever. In terms of anything else, its just a lampshade! You can say "wizards get their power by study" but of course they ACTUALLY get it by following rules on page 147 of the PHB... I agree of course that GOOD lampshading is going to help with suspension of disbelief and can lead to a deeper elaboration of the milieu (IE wizards study, so there must be a magic academy, etc.).

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I wasn't arguing that wizards are just as common as fighters. Just that they make up a substantial percentage of rulers (and thus presumably of other ranks in the nobility, since all these societies are pretty much structured that way). If I extend that to 'casters', then we have to count the clerics, druids and rangers as well, and the bards (though I don't recall a bardic NPC listed). Then there are 'magical figures' like dragons and such which also appear in small numbers.
I knew you weren't saying that.

I was saying that characters pursue the class, skills, or HD that they have the most affinity to and access to. And how far they go is based on the level of spark or passion they have provided they do not die in the process.

So there will be a wide spread of classes available to nobles as their different talents and passions will pull them in different directions. One would have to culturally enforce, religiously indoctrinate, magically alter, or selectively bred the nobility of "normal races" into being majority 1 class..

Chaosmancer

Legend
I was assuming you magocracy wasn't run by 1st level wizard apprentices.

Of course they wouldn't be apprentices. A 3rd level wizard is a fully fledged mage.

Also, do you imagine the king is the deadliest warrior in the kingdom, or the King's Champion? Being a mage in a society run by mages does not require that the strongest mages be the ones in charge.

Yes.

Fighter keys off 3 ability scores. You need aa good Str, Dex, or Con to be a good fighter in 3e, 4e, and 5e. Whereas wizard keys off 1 single stat: Intelligence.

Well, great, then Wizards should be more common than Fighters. That seems to support my arguments, not yours.

And 2nd level spells still barely produce effects worth all the work for the super rich who would not be adventuring.

Wow, funny how quickly you are dismissing all those spells.

But, you won't be convinced even if I start listing them, so I'll just tell you that I stringently disagree with you on how much value can be found in 1st and 2nd level spells.

So, clearly, things have changed. And the baselines likely changed with them.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And by your logic every noble would learn blacksmithing so that they could make their own weapons and armour...

Is there value in making your own weapons and armor?

I can't think of much value there, a sword is a sword no matter who makes it.

Is there any value in creating a magic rat whose eyes you can see through and ears you can hear through and making it invisible so you can spy on a meeting between your rival and a local guild so you can undercut his plans?

How about the ability to read minds? Useful if you are a noble in charge of listening and judging conflicts between your people, wouldn't it be?

How about the ability to see if there are any invisible spies in your secret meeting? Or scrying orbs which are also invisible.

What about the ability to magically lock all your safes, jewerly boxes and secret sanctums so that thieves or spies would need either magic or a truly masterful skill in lockpicking (Base lock plus Arcane lock is a DC 25, easy enough to assume a noble could get a lock with a DC 20, which would make it a DC 30 to break.)

Any of that seem like it might have some... passing interest to a man or woman who rules an area?

The magic is exactly as easy or as hard to learn as you want it to be in your setting.

And round and round we go.

Still haven't seen a single official 5e setting that is low magic
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, in terms of explanations of heroes in legend and myth, that's part of the mythology. Heracles is the son of Zeus, or whatever. In terms of anything else, its just a lampshade! You can say "wizards get their power by study" but of course they ACTUALLY get it by following rules on page 147 of the PHB... I agree of course that GOOD lampshading is going to help with suspension of disbelief and can lead to a deeper elaboration of the milieu (IE wizards study, so there must be a magic academy, etc.).

Exactly, doing worldbuilding well means following the logic as if it were true, not just handwaving and saying none of it matters.

Aldarc

Legend
It goes back a long way too. Just look at Beowulf. The king and all his knights can't defeat Grendel, but in walks a mysterious stranger from who knows where and he defeats the monster not only single handed, but unarmed.
Beowulf doesn't qualify as a "mysterious stranger from who knows where." Beowulf is actually the grandson of the King of the Geats, as his father Ecgþeow was a warrior who married the king's daughter. One of the reasons why Beowulf goes to Zealand to help the Danish King Hrothgar is because his father Ecgþeow owes a weregild debt to King Hrothgar, and King Hrothgar immediately recognizes the name of Beowulf when he arrives.

That is a horrifically poor interpretation of my position. I'm using wizard to refer to "person who studied how to use arcane magic and does so successfully". I am referring to the ability, which is iconic for the class.
What you are trying to do is extend rules designed purely to describe a party of adventurers, and apply them to the whole world.

In which case, if you want to grow potatoes, you would need a Farmer class, with a Potato farmer subclass, who has a special ability "plant potatoes".
Obviously farmers exist, and obviously they would have skills and abilities. The game doesn't give us any of them, there is no skill except nature that would cover what they can do.
Exactly. The game doesn't give us any of them. Because the game only covers adventurers. It is not a set of rules by which the world can operate, and if you try to use them as such the result you get is nonsense.
That is not only terrible world-building, but lazy world-building. Going forth with the assumption that nothing changes even if you change everything is exactly how we get travesties like "Bright"

At this point you are literally just talking about plot armor.

And you can only really build parody worlds on the assumption of plot armor, not worlds for more series stories.

I'm not saying Plot Armor doesn't exists, it is something you can never really get rid of, but you can't build your world on the assumption that plot armor is real in universe.
It's pretty clear that you consider the vast majority of movies, novels and TV series parodies. Indiana Jones, Star Trek, Star Wars, Murder She Wrote, Die Hard, EastEnders, Lord of the Rings - name pretty much anything. They all have central characters with plot armour (and other abilities not shared by the rest of the population). Star Trek gave us the term "redshirt" AKA "a character without plot armour".
Sure, but you can't build a coherent, serious world on the assumption that "heroes do heroic things and have no explanation"
You can't build a coherent serious world of the kind you seem to be describing using D&D. Or indeed any other sort of narrative fiction. Parties of adventures fighting monsters and taking loot cannot exist in such a world.
And I'm not saying that this is all bad, I recognize that plot armor and quick and dirty world-building happen, and for a two hour movie that's fine. But if you want to craft a 400 hour immersive experience? Those cracks can show really fast.
The cracks only show if you look for them. The worlds of Star Trek, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Murder She Wrote, EastEnders (to name things that have something comparable to 400 hours) are all full of cracks, but people choose to ignore them so as to enjoy the fiction.

Last edited:

Beowulf doesn't qualify as a "mysterious stranger from who knows where." Beowulf is actually the grandson of the King of the Geats, as his father Ecgþeow was a warrior who married the king's daughter. One of the reasons why Beowulf goes to Zealand to help the Danish King Hrothgar is because his father Ecgþeow owes a weregild debt to King Hrothgar, and King Hrothgar immediately recognizes the name of Beowulf when he arrives.
Yes, Beowulf has a backstory very much like a typical D&D character. But that doesn't entirely invalidate the "stranger rides* into town" trope. Strangers sometimes (not always) have a backstory.

*He also comes by boat if you want to be picky.

*ship if you want to be pickier.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Of course they wouldn't be apprentices. A 3rd level wizard is a fully fledged mage.

Also, do you imagine the king is the deadliest warrior in the kingdom, or the King's Champion? Being a mage in a society run by mages does not require that the strongest mages be the ones in charge.
A 3rd level wizard is a full fledged mage.
But there aren't a complete image of a wizard. They are fresh out of apprenticeship.

In older editions, you get that at "name level". In 5e, you get that at level 5.
Do you expect a magocracy to be run by newbs?

Well, great, then Wizards should be more common than Fighters. That seems to support my arguments, not yours.
How so?
Fighters offers Strong, Fast, and Tough people to join. Only the Smart can be wizards.
3 > 1
Then you have access to training. More access to martial training than magical training in the base assumption.
Wow, funny how quickly you are dismissing all those spells.

But, you won't be convinced even if I start listing them, so I'll just tell you that I stringently disagree with you on how much value can be found in 1st and 2nd level spells.
I'm not dismissing their usefulness.
I am dismissing their use by people who can buy the same effects with ease.

The strength of 1st and 2nd level spells is for "middle class" and poor people who don't have a whole team of servants and a network of hireable experts. You know... adventurers.

So, clearly, things have changed. And the baselines likely changed with them.
Not really. The baseline didn't change. Low level classes are just less terrible.

Aldarc

Legend
Yes, Beowulf has a backstory very much like a typical D&D character. But that doesn't entirely invalidate the "stranger rides* into town" trope. Strangers sometimes (not always) have a backstory.
I don't think that Beowulf has a backstory very much like a typical D&D character, because in contrast to a typical D&D character, Beowulf's backstory is actually good and connected to the setting.

I don't think that Beowulf has a backstory very much like a typical D&D character, because in contrast to a typical D&D character, Beowulf's backstory is actually good and connected to the setting.
I think that is a tad harsh. I generally help my players to craft backstories which, if not actually good, are at least connected to the setting.

Remove ads

Remove ads