Worlds of Design: RPG Gods - Benign or Malign?

Most RPG settings have some form of godhood. Yet there are some age-old questions that come into...

Most RPG settings have some form of godhood. Yet there are some age-old questions that come into play as you create religions.

Deuses_Egipcios.png

By Unknown author - Os Deuses Egípcios – IMAGICK, CC BY-SA 4.0, File:Deuses Egipcios.png - Wikimedia Commons

Gods and “hokey religions” (to quote Han Solo in Star Wars a New Hope) are usually part of fantasy and science fiction role-playing games. From a world-building standpoint, you can approach religion as a form of philosophy, a way to guide one’s life, but a lot more people are into religion than philosophy. Rather than using a religion that resembles a modern day equivalent, let’s start from scratch by asking some fundamental questions:

How Many?​

How many gods are there? In human history, ancient gods often were members of a pantheon, a group of gods. So it is with many RPG campaigns and settings. Gods from these ancient pantheons (Greek and Roman most prominently) were superpowerful and immortal, but otherwise behaved much like humans. Less common was a single god, or a god who has an oppositional aspect (effectively another god) as in Manichaeism or Persia’s Zoroastrian religion (Ahura-Mazda and Ahriman). It has been uncommon to think that only “my” gods exist, and no others. The belief is more likely when there is only one (or two) god(s) in a religion rather than a pantheon. After all, if you can have a bunch of gods, why can't someone else, and those gods compete with one another?

Gender?​

Male vs female? Virtually all the ancient religions were heavily male-oriented, just as societies were heavily male-oriented. Some did have powerful goddesses often related to fertility. But male orientation is not necessary in a fantasy world in which women are often treated much differently than women in the ancient world. There is some notion that in prehistoric times, some religions were heavily female oriented.

Belief?​

Do you believe? Just as in the real world, some characters are going to want nothing to do with gods, while others will devote their lives to them. Some will assume that gods are only bad for humanity, others that gods provide great good for humanity. A GM/World-Builder can influence this strongly through the actual behavior of the gods.

Do You Have a Choice?​

Is there State Sponsorship (forcing everyone to conform)? In the real world, sometimes people are free to choose their religion, other times they are required to conform to the state religion. And you have cases where the laws are devised to encourage someone to convert (as when non-Muslims paid an additional tax in the early centuries of Arab expansion). The Roman Empire changed state sponsorship from their pagan religion to Christianity in the fourth century CE. And so on. The player characters could be religionists resisting state-imposed religion.

Divine Right?​

What about men/women worshiped as gods? There have been many times in human history that rulers justified their right to rule by declaring themselves to be gods. Among these are the Pharaohs, the later Roman emperors, and many medieval kings of Europe. For some it was just an excuse, but others seem to have really believed it.

Manifestations?​

How much do gods manifest in (appear or directly influence) the world? Some ancient gods, e.g. Greek, were thought to constantly meddle with the world. Egyptian gods were less present in the world. If gods do meddle with the world, how do they do it? Provide direction for worshipers (even holy war?)? Give boons to their most prominent worshipers?

Fear or Love?​

Do characters fear their god(s) (and for that matter, rulers), or love him/her/it/them? This depends on the priesthood, or on the behavior of the “actual god(s)”. It also depends on what the ruler thinks is best. It’s easy to make people fear him/her/it when the gods themselves are involved.

The Old Gods?​

What about the “old gods,” the ones who no longer have worshipers? Do they fade away entirely, or do they hang out in the background, so to speak—perhaps providing quest material for players? If they hang out, do they become neutral, or benign, or malign?

What Are They Really?​

"Gods" as Aliens - or Monsters. What are the gods, really? Perhaps they're all part of a big scam?

For an in-depth exploration of different ways to implement religion in your campaign (and answers to some of these questions), see Andrew “Corone” Peregrine’s excellent series of articles on the topic.

Your Turn: What questions did I miss?

Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Dragon, White Dwarf, Fiend Folio

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
How I answer that question for my game is that the egg(intelligent beings) came first. At some point a culture starter revering the sun, the sky, etc. and beings were "born" that embodied those beliefs and began answering prayers. This is why those gods are dependent on belief to survive.
Where I'm the exact opposite: the deities - well, five core ones, anyway - came first. (and I even have a backstory as to how they were created; they're not the first set of bozos to rule this universe, and the Great Old Ones might still be out there somewhere...)

How I answer that question for my game is that the egg(intelligent beings) came first. At some point a culture starter revering the sun, the sky, etc. and beings were "born" that embodied those beliefs and began answering prayers. This is why those gods are dependent on belief to survive.

What can make interesting thing is the actual interest gods take into worshippers. For a time, I liked the deities to get power from worship concept, but I find it a little old now. I'd like to see something novel (that isn't immanent god that doesn't care either).

Cruentus

Adventurer
My biggest stumbling blocks around religion in my RPG's are:
1) limiting them (so there aren't 80+ gods I have to keep track of, potentially)
2) deciding between the intervening type gods, and the "distant" gods who don't meddle
3) how to "justify" cleric spell acquisition in the face of "distant" gods who may or may not exist, and who don't meddle (if they do). Do I just have clerics carry on and get whatever spells they pray for? And if so, why? Where are they coming from? Or do I switch them to a more ritualistic/wizardly study of spells, since there is no divine source?

I'm finding that for my worldbuilding, I'm having greater success when I keep the adventuring fairly "local" and not realms hopping. If there are only 3 "gods" worshipped in this area, that's way more manageable. I just keep some stuff thumbnailed if the party visits the kingdom next door.

RareBreed

Adventurer
I find it interesting that there is
I suspect, it is the Western (Christian) culture, where many find it difficult to even imagine a "religion" that doesnt worship some kind of person.
You're probably right. When I talk about Taoist or Buddhist religion to other people, they immediately get hung up on "but who do they believe in?" or "who do they worship?". I think it is anathema for those with a Judeo-Christian background, and I suspect it's the same for Hindus as well (I could be wrong, since Brahman...the precursor concept to Brahma the creator...is more of a metaphysical concept of reality, and the anthropomorphization into Brahma came later.)

Now that I think about it, here's another factor for consideration in a fantasy religion

What's the afterlife like?
Some religions have no afterlife. When you die, you die. Other religions don't have an afterlife per se, but some form of reincarnation into a new body. For other religions, the ultimate goal is to die the final death and extinguish the "self" (for example, nirvana does not mean "heaven" or "bliss" as some think, in Pali, it literally means to "extinguish" or "cease to be"), and by doing this end the endless cycle of rebirth.

Believe it or not, some religions do not even have the concept of a soul. If your religion does, what happens to the soul after it sheds its mortal coil? Can you be resurrected? Does a jealous God of Death prevent all his subjects from leaving? How do new souls get created?

Do souls have a finite time period (ala Norse mythos)? Are souls gathered for some final apocalyptic showdown (ala Norse or Christian religions)?

If there is a verifiable afterlife for the denizens of your fantasy setting, how would this impact society? If you actually saw there was some kind of hell-like abyss waiting for you if you didn't do good....would you still be bad? Or as Dante said, "Better to be a ruler in hell than a servant in heaven"?

Pascal's Wager would no longer need apply.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
What can make interesting thing is the actual interest gods take into worshippers. For a time, I liked the deities to get power from worship concept, but I find it a little old now. I'd like to see something novel (that isn't immanent god that doesn't care either).
One of the things I didn't like about the concept of gaining power from worshippers, is that you have a host of creator gods that created their followers, but without followers, gods would lose power, die, and then get cast out into the astral plane. I ended up changing that so that rather than dying, the lowest they could go was demigod but now I've scrapped the concept altogether. I guess it wasn't really one of those things that ever really came up in game, but as background lore, it really irked me.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
See, I don't understand the "gods don't care" schtick. If the gods derive power from their worshippers, then it is in their best interest to care and ensure they stay and/or attract more. It's when their power isn't reliant on mortals that they can afford to stop caring(or pretending to care).

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
In my games, Gods are either wholly a basis of faith or are glorified, super-powerful Tulpas given power/created by the masses. So, a lot of equivalents of real-world gods exist (like a deity of Death, the Sun, and other facets of the world), but they either are like Eberron, where their existence is up for debate, or they're like the Planescape, where gods can be born just from enough people worshipping someone/something.

I think one of the most eye-opening supplements for me was The Mad Lands for GURPS with all the gods that you might placate, but really wanted to have nothing to do with.

Even the descriptions of the other gods in the setting that were actively worshipped were strange and made demands on their people, like never-ending building projects.

Hussar

Legend
I suspect, it is the Western (Christian) culture, where many find it difficult to even imagine a "religion" that doesnt worship some kind of person.
That's hardly limited to Western (Christian) culture though. History is replete with pantheons of gods worshipped by various peoples, including your own favorite source, the Norse. While sure there are faiths like Buddhism which don't, I'd probably guess that this is somewhat a minority of possibilities.

Additionally, when we're talking about fantasy genre, having philosophical faiths (as in faiths with no deities) means that it's a bit harder to write stories. Or, to put it better, it's a whole lot easier to write a story about gods than philosophies. :) Considering right now the Netflix show The Sandman is incredibly popular, I'd say that there's some legs to the notion that having actual beings that the writer can point to and say, "Yup, right there is the deity of dreams" makes for somewhat more compelling narratives than, "Well, when we dream, we are approaching visions of some state of being that you can achieve."

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads