• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Worst Possible Party Combinations

Particle_Man

Explorer
This one is more hearsay:

I know someone that ran a high level game for an all Wizard party and found that challenges were very binary. Either they were ridiculously easy for the Wizards to navigate, or absolutely impossible. No in-betweens.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Particle_Man said:
This one is more hearsay:

I know someone that ran a high level game for an all Wizard party and found that challenges were very binary. Either they were ridiculously easy for the Wizards to navigate, or absolutely impossible. No in-betweens.
I wonder what challenges were impossible? I can't think of any off the top of my head that would be impossible for a well-played group of Wizards with a variety of spells between them.

Remathilis

Legend
Ready?

Warrior: Swashbuckler
Divine: Fire Shugenja
Expert: Bard
Arcane: Beguiler

You have a fighter who cannot tank or deal massive damage, an expert that cannot find traps, a divine caster without healing magic, and an arcanist without boom magic!

But all four have charisma as a prime stat, so they would be DEADLY in a social/City based game :D

VirgilCaine

First Post
Dragonbait said:
*A bard played by a person who thinks that the only sign that your character is useful is when you do the most damage.
*A wizard played by a person who thinks that 2d8 damage for a melee weapon is weak, and really does not want to read or research anything, including how to use magic in the game.
*The Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 6 half-orc barbarian is played by a person who wants everything to be a military campaign and tries to take command of the goup at all times.
*the cleric is played by someone who shows up about 25% of the time, and takes his character sheet with him.
*The heavy roleplayer makes a Cha 8 character and does not talk through most of the session.

Oh wait, you said worst party combo, not worst player combo.

How do you get people that stupid together without Critical Stupid happening and sucking you in?

Jubilee

First Post
I play in a game with the following:

A Monk/Sorcerer/Sensate (more monk than sorcerer)
A Monk/Sorcerer/Tattooed Monk (more sorcerer than monk)
A Ranger/Druid
A Druid/Animal Lord (bird) (3.0 version - two different spell casting progressions)
A Rogue/Fighter/Dervish (with a +1 ECL for half-fey)
A Marshal/Knight/whatever
A Rogue/Fighter/Ranger/Kensai (a cohort, so 2 levels below the party)

We don't have any combat healing, very little out of combat healing (Our GM believes you shouldn't be able to wander into any old temple to buy healing stuff, you actually have to be a worshiper (and we're adventuring away from our homelands where there is a different pantheon), and usually pay extra, and beg), and no one is really optimized for being the front line fighter. Somehow, we usually get by - most often due to daring rescues and sheer stubborness. :)

Ry

Explorer
A Lawful Good Paladin trying to roleplay his alignment, a Chaotic Neutral Barbarian that starts destroying things when he's bored, a "True Neutral" Rogue that balances good and evil actions by stealing from the party, a Lawful Neutral wizard who uses mind control spells to control the other players, and a Neutral Good Druid who's just trying to get everyone to get along.

The Grumpy Celt

Banned
Banned
A pair of characters, both male, both white, both middle aged, both divorced, one a fastidious slightly effeminate conservative, the other a slovenly excessively masculine liberal and they live together in a smallish apartment.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads