WotC Backs Down: Original OGL To Be Left Untouched; Whole 5E Rules Released as Creative Commons

Hundreds of game publishers sigh in relief as, after extensive pressure exerted by the entire open gaming community, WotC has agreed to leave the original Open Gaming License untouched and put the whole of the 5E rules into Creative Commons. So, what's happened? The Open Gaming Licence v1.0a which most of the D&D third party industry relies on, will be left untouched for now. The whole of...

Hundreds of game publishers sigh in relief as, after extensive pressure exerted by the entire open gaming community, WotC has agreed to leave the original Open Gaming License untouched and put the whole of the 5E rules into Creative Commons.

So, what's happened?
  • The Open Gaming Licence v1.0a which most of the D&D third party industry relies on, will be left untouched for now.
  • The whole of the D&D 5E SRD (ie the rules of the game less the fluff text) has been released under a Creative Commons license.

WotC has a history of 'disappearing' inconvenient FAQs and stuff, such as those where they themselves state that the OGL is irrevocable, so I'll copy this here for posterity.

When you give us playtest feedback, we take it seriously.

Already more than 15,000 of you have filled out the survey. Here's what you said:
  • 88% do not want to publish TTRPG content under OGL 1.2.
  • 90% would have to change some aspect of their business to accommodate OGL 1.2.
  • 89% are dissatisfied with deauthorizing OGL 1.0a.
  • 86% are dissatisfied with the draft VTT policy.
  • 62% are satisfied with including Systems Reference Document (SRD) content in Creative Commons, and the majority of those who were dissatisfied asked for more SRD content in Creative Commons.
These live survey results are clear. You want OGL 1.0a. You want irrevocability. You like Creative Commons.
The feedback is in such high volume and its direction is so plain that we're acting now.
  1. We are leaving OGL 1.0a in place, as is. Untouched.
  2. We are also making the entire SRD 5.1 available under a Creative Commons license.
  3. You choose which you prefer to use.
This Creative Commons license makes the content freely available for any use. We don't control that license and cannot alter or revoke it. It's open and irrevocable in a way that doesn't require you to take our word for it. And its openness means there's no need for a VTT policy. Placing the SRD under a Creative Commons license is a one-way door. There's no going back.

Our goal here is to deliver on what you wanted.

So, what about the goals that drove us when we started this process?

We wanted to protect the D&D play experience into the future. We still want to do that with your help. We're grateful that this community is passionate and active because we'll need your help protecting the game's inclusive and welcoming nature.

We wanted to limit the OGL to TTRPGs. With this new approach, we are setting that aside and counting on your choices to define the future of play.
Here's a PDF of SRD 5.1 with the Creative Commons license. By simply publishing it, we place it under an irrevocable Creative Commons license. We'll get it hosted in a more convenient place next week. It was important that we take this step now, so there's no question.
We'll be closing the OGL 1.2 survey now.

We'll keep talking with you about how we can better support our players and creators. Thanks as always for continuing to share your thoughts.

Kyle Brink
Executive Producer, Dungeons & Dragons

What does this mean?

The original OGL sounds safe for now, but WotC has not admitted that they cannot revoke it. That's less of an issue now the 5E System Reference Document is now released to Creative Commons (although those using the 3E SRD or any third party SRDs still have issues as WotC still hasn't revoked the incorrect claim that they can revoke access to those at-will).

At this point, if WotC wants anybody to use whatever their new OGL v1.x turns out to be, there needs to be one heck of a carrot. What that might be remains to be seen.

Pathfinder publlsher Paizo has also commented on the latest developments.

We welcome today’s news from Wizards of the Coast regarding their intention not to de-authorize OGL 1.0a. We still believe there is a powerful need for an irrevocable, perpetual independent system-neutral open license that will serve the tabletop community via nonprofit stewardship. Work on the ORC license will continue, with an expected first draft to release for comment to participating publishers in February.

Matt Thomason

Adventurer
I am most likely wrong, but I don't think it works that way. You can't make a new document and say it terms apply to all the old documents, legally. So, if you make an OGL 1.0b with the changes you describe, everyone would still have to replace the 1.0a license with the 1.0b license. Again, I could very easily be wrong as this is just my common sense understanding.

You can't change my 1.0a license (to 1.0b) without my consent. So I would need to replace the a with the b to "consent." At least that is how I basically understand it.
I can't change your license to 1.0(b), but I can, under the terms written in1.0(a), distribute content you licensed out under 1.0a under the terms of 1.0(b).

What I don't know is if those terms are legally enforcable (thats where the legal people need to chime in), but the actual text of 1.0(a) allows someone to use any version of the license to gain access to your OGC, and to then publish their resulting work under.

My layman's understanding is that the terms of a hypothetical 1.0(b), should I choose to use it to redistribute your 1.0(a) OGC, would apply to my reuse of your OGC, and could not confer any additional obligations on you. (I might be wrong about this, but it seems incredibly stupid if a license update can place obligations on someone who did not accept the update.) Mostly it would be about confering rights and obligations on me as licensee, and to affect change in mechanisms within the license itself (e.g. changing the process for terminating it)

EDIT: Or basically what pemerton just said ;)

dave2008

Legend
I'm not sure if this answers your question: but each licensee who is a party to a licence with WotC, on the terms set out in the OGL v 1.0/1.0a, has agreed (in section 9) to allow their work to be licensed by downstream users using any authorised variant that is promulgated by WotC.

What would count as a "variant" is a matter of contractual interpretation. But if WotC were to release such a variant, then downstream users could use that variant to license upstream OGC.
I get that, but is it automatic?

PF1 was published under OGL 1.0. If OGL 1.0b comes out, does PF1 automatically get the additional protections of 1.0b, or dies Paizo need to reprint/publish there books to include OGL 1.0b? I can't image it is automatic because 1.0b could have things you don't want, but maybe I am wrong.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I am most likely wrong, but I don't think it works that way. You can't make a new document and say its terms apply to all the old documents, legally. So, if you make an OGL 1.0b with the changes you describe, everyone would still have to replace the 1.0a license with the 1.0b license. Again, I could very easily be wrong as this is just my common sense understanding.

You can't change my 1.0a license (to 1.0b) without my consent. So I would need to replace the "a" with the "b" to consent. At least that is how I basically understand it. Maybe @pemerton can clarify?

a 1.0b available gives active and moribund publishers the option of updating. Dead publishers obviously don't have the option (being dead), but the existence of a 1.0b would help demonstrate a continuity of intent in the terms of the licence should the 1.0/1.0a ever be legally challenged. So simply by existing, the 1.0b would give a small bit of extra protection, even for books that aren't updated to the new 1.0b.

"9. Updating the License: Wizards or its designated Agents may publish updated versions of this License. You may use any authorized version of this License to copy, modify and distribute any Open Game Content originally distributed under any version of this License."

Ashtagon

Adventurer
You can't change my 1.0a license (to 1.0b) without my consent. So I would need to replace the "a" with the "b" to consent. At least that is how I basically understand it. Maybe @pemerton can clarify?
That's pretty much what I've been saying.

Having a 1.0b available gives active and moribund publishers the option of updating. Dead publishers obviously don't have the option (being dead), but the existence of a 1.0b would help demonstrate a continuity of intent in the terms of the licence should the 1.0/1.0a ever be legally challenged. So simply by existing, the 1.0b would give a small bit of extra protection, even for books that aren't updated to the new 1.0b.

(Of course, for a publisher that is active or moribund, failure to update to an available 1.0b could be construed as a rejection of that update, a construction that can't be made of a dead publisher.)

dave2008

Legend
I can't change your license to 1.0(b), but I can, under the terms written in1.0(a), distribute content you licensed out under 1.0a under the terms of 1.0(b).

What I don't know is if those terms are legally enforcable (thats where the legal people need to chime in), but the actual text of 1.0(a) allows someone to use any version of the license to gain access to your OGC, and to then publish their resulting work under.

My layman's understanding is that the terms of a hypothetical 1.0(b), should I choose to use it to redistribute your 1.0(a) OGC, would apply to my reuse of your OGC, and could not confer any additional obligations on you. (I might be wrong about this, but it seems incredibly stupid if a license update can place obligations on someone who did not accept the update.) Mostly it would be about confering rights and obligations on me as licensee, and to affect change in mechanisms within the license itself (e.g. changing the process for terminating it)
Right, I get that if I have OGL 1.0b I can use your 1.0a content, but does your 1.0a content have the additional protections of my 1.0b license? I would think not - but maybe I am wrong.

pemerton

Legend
This is the sort of thing I've been getting at in my repeated posts saying that what counts as a "version" is a matter of contractual interpretation - ie it's not just an arbitrary power enjoyed by WotC.

If you look at the 1.0 to 1.0a change, it does exactly what you say - it imposes new obligations on licensees in respect of product identity, by resolving any ambiguity in relation to registered trademarks.

I think this is why we haven't actually seen many variants: there aren't many additional ways n which WotC wants licensees to limit themselves.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Right, I get that if I have OGL 1.0b I can use your 1.0a content, but does your 1.0a content have the additional protections of my 1.0b license? I would think not - but maybe I am wrong.
Anyone could just republish your 1.0a content under 1.0b (which you just said) and then it would be under 1.0b, right?

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
4: what incentive does WOtC have to shut down the OGL now? With the Cc release covering the things they were targeting with 1.1 and 1.2 versions, which were VTTs, essentially removing their ability to target them, they have no incentive to alter it. Competitors we always assumed was about Paizo and co. We were wrong in hindsight.

All of WOTC language and red lines dealt with the VTT and things that could impact the VTT and D&D Beyond. The fan policy has minor impact, it was all very weird but all essentially boiled down to digital tools and what VTT could do with the OGL. The competition they were targeting was other VTT and Demiplane.

Their number, 20%? That was based on DDB subscribers and average campaign sizes. 5 people, 1 dm and 4 players. Dm buys everything and shares across the campaign. No incentive for players to buy anything. It’s Netflix password sharing in their eyes. They want to incentivize players making purchases and not just groups sharing a singular account for the campaign and sharing books.

It was all more about D&D Beyond and never about physical media which tells you how big DDB is to their future plans and how quickly it grew during the pandemic and much like Netflix how they were trying to corner a market to keep their user base by getting to control complete access to the D&D experience, which, honestly, is their right.

How it impacted 3rd party publishers physical media, nor the shift to in person gaming post pandemic, since they don’t have a working VTT launched yet and people are still using DDB for their characters and campaigns, didn’t occur to them. They didn’t want to have the experience of Xbox or PS4 on their service, they wanted a Nintendo Seal of Approval, for content for people who remember that so they could advertise a family friendly space.

Physical publishing was never a concern. All Kickstarters essentially promised VTT integration, tokens, etc. if they cornered D&D content with the OGL they needed to control that.
This was almost the most confusing part to me too.

You know a much easier way too get more people to sign up and have everyone pay?

Make a really good product that the value proposition makes it a no-brainer. Which, given their resources they could easily do and basically dominate that space on the virtue of that fact alone. If you make a Gamepass for VTT (in terms of obvious value and utility) people will pay.

dave2008

Legend
"9. Updating the License: Wizards or its designated Agents may publish updated versions of this License. You may use any authorized version of this License to copy, modify and distribute any Open Game Content originally distributed under any version of this License."
I am aware of that section, but it doesn't answer my question. I don't know that I am confident, but @Ashtagon has the same understanding I do.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
PF1 was published under OGL 1.0. If OGL 1.0b comes out, does PF1 automatically get the additional protections of 1.0b, or dies Paizo need to reprint/publish there books to include OGL 1.0b? I can't image it is automatic because 1.0b could have things you don't want, but maybe I am wrong.
By using the OGL v1.0, or the OGL v1.0a, you automatically agree (as per Section 9) to any Open Game Content you release being usable under any future version of the OGL, including a hypothetical OGL v1.0b.

Remove ads

Remove ads