WotC Backs Down: Original OGL To Be Left Untouched; Whole 5E Rules Released as Creative Commons

Hundreds of game publishers sigh in relief as, after extensive pressure exerted by the entire open gaming community, WotC has agreed to leave the original Open Gaming License untouched and put the whole of the 5E rules into Creative Commons. So, what's happened? The Open Gaming Licence v1.0a which most of the D&D third party industry relies on, will be left untouched for now. The whole of...

Hundreds of game publishers sigh in relief as, after extensive pressure exerted by the entire open gaming community, WotC has agreed to leave the original Open Gaming License untouched and put the whole of the 5E rules into Creative Commons.

So, what's happened?
  • The Open Gaming Licence v1.0a which most of the D&D third party industry relies on, will be left untouched for now.
  • The whole of the D&D 5E SRD (ie the rules of the game less the fluff text) has been released under a Creative Commons license.

WotC has a history of 'disappearing' inconvenient FAQs and stuff, such as those where they themselves state that the OGL is irrevocable, so I'll copy this here for posterity.

When you give us playtest feedback, we take it seriously.

Already more than 15,000 of you have filled out the survey. Here's what you said:
  • 88% do not want to publish TTRPG content under OGL 1.2.
  • 90% would have to change some aspect of their business to accommodate OGL 1.2.
  • 89% are dissatisfied with deauthorizing OGL 1.0a.
  • 86% are dissatisfied with the draft VTT policy.
  • 62% are satisfied with including Systems Reference Document (SRD) content in Creative Commons, and the majority of those who were dissatisfied asked for more SRD content in Creative Commons.
These live survey results are clear. You want OGL 1.0a. You want irrevocability. You like Creative Commons.
The feedback is in such high volume and its direction is so plain that we're acting now.
  1. We are leaving OGL 1.0a in place, as is. Untouched.
  2. We are also making the entire SRD 5.1 available under a Creative Commons license.
  3. You choose which you prefer to use.
This Creative Commons license makes the content freely available for any use. We don't control that license and cannot alter or revoke it. It's open and irrevocable in a way that doesn't require you to take our word for it. And its openness means there's no need for a VTT policy. Placing the SRD under a Creative Commons license is a one-way door. There's no going back.

Our goal here is to deliver on what you wanted.

So, what about the goals that drove us when we started this process?

We wanted to protect the D&D play experience into the future. We still want to do that with your help. We're grateful that this community is passionate and active because we'll need your help protecting the game's inclusive and welcoming nature.

We wanted to limit the OGL to TTRPGs. With this new approach, we are setting that aside and counting on your choices to define the future of play.
Here's a PDF of SRD 5.1 with the Creative Commons license. By simply publishing it, we place it under an irrevocable Creative Commons license. We'll get it hosted in a more convenient place next week. It was important that we take this step now, so there's no question.
We'll be closing the OGL 1.2 survey now.

We'll keep talking with you about how we can better support our players and creators. Thanks as always for continuing to share your thoughts.

Kyle Brink
Executive Producer, Dungeons & Dragons

What does this mean?

The original OGL sounds safe for now, but WotC has not admitted that they cannot revoke it. That's less of an issue now the 5E System Reference Document is now released to Creative Commons (although those using the 3E SRD or any third party SRDs still have issues as WotC still hasn't revoked the incorrect claim that they can revoke access to those at-will).

At this point, if WotC wants anybody to use whatever their new OGL v1.x turns out to be, there needs to be one heck of a carrot. What that might be remains to be seen.

Pathfinder publlsher Paizo has also commented on the latest developments.

We welcome today’s news from Wizards of the Coast regarding their intention not to de-authorize OGL 1.0a. We still believe there is a powerful need for an irrevocable, perpetual independent system-neutral open license that will serve the tabletop community via nonprofit stewardship. Work on the ORC license will continue, with an expected first draft to release for comment to participating publishers in February.

pemerton

Legend
So you were the one giving them this idea!?

(Hopefully) joke asside, I want to point out that they haven't actually clarified their legal position at all. They have only made a statement about "no longer authorized" - a statement that as far as I understand is basically void of well established m
And why would they? Until someone engages with them in legal terms, why would they set out their (presumably very expensive!) legal advice and reasoned claim about their legal entitlements? I'm sure they have multiple arguments ready to go should they need them.

My point is not addressed to WotC, who don't need to read my posts to work out their commercial and legal strategy!

It's addressed to fellow posters, and "the community" more generally: last time you took comfort in your own rather dogmatic and under-argued assertions about the legal character of the OGL, you were caught by surprise when WotC expressed a different view about those matters. So this time, perhaps be less dogmatic and more reasoned, including in expressing views as to the legal merits of OGL, ORC and CC.

I appreciate that not everyone can afford high quality legal advice, but that's a reason to be measured, not a reason to make dogmatic assertions of exactly the same sort that have turned out to be nothing but hot air in the current circumstances.

pemerton

Legend
those licenses govern the tech and how the device works. If the same license is used in tech and used by RPG companies then it impacts both until challenged in court. The companies can withdraw the license and the users would have to issue challenges and it could be in court for years before the dust settles. CC won't allow that. Even with an RPG company. It ruins their integrity and reliability.
You appear to not understand the legal issues being discussed (like the difference between a licence agreement and an offer to enter into a licence agreement), and not to recognise the absolutely radical differences between the software situation and WotC's licensing of the SRD.

You also attribute powers to the CC organisation ("CC won't allow that") that it does not possess.

As a result, your post is hyperboblic and, frankly, misinformation.

ThorinTeague

Creative/Father/Professor
I trust the chair of the board of CC who is also a professor of IP law at UC Berkeley more than I trust you, when it comes to expressing sound opinions about the legal workings of the CC licence.

^ I would tend to recommend the same.

My opinions on the open gaming license in the legality of revoking it come from a few different sources, one is the people who wrote it. Two is wizards of the coast themselves. Three is a lawyer named Tarantino who Wrote his PhD dissertation on open gaming license.

Now I have heard some good counter points. (Not on here.) Most of them revolve around the idea that the word perpetual does not mean irrevocable legally. I don’t have the education or experience to argue authoritatively one way or the other.I am however pretty confident that if wizards of the coast did indeed win their legal victory and revoke 1.0a, the fallout from the bad faith might actually cost wizards more than they would stand to gain from squeezing out those last few fractions of a percentage point to achieve the coveted full monopoly.

ThorinTeague

Creative/Father/Professor
And why would they? Until someone engages with them in legal terms, why would they set out their (presumably very expensive!) legal advice and reasoned claim about their legal entitlements? I'm sure they have multiple arguments ready to go should they need them.

It certainly seems safe to assume that a competent megacorp would have their legal ducks in a row before embarking on this journey they’ve assigned to themselves.

It also seems like they could remember the history of 2008-2012 et. Al.. but here we are 🤪

pemerton

Legend
My opinions on the open gaming license in the legality of revoking it come from a few different sources, one is the people who wrote it. Two is wizards of the coast themselves. Three is a lawyer named Tarantino who Wrote his PhD dissertation on open gaming license..
There are two different things that I believe you're running together.

WotC has entered, and in the future will enter, into many licence agreements. Some under the OGL, now some under CC. My view is that neither is revocable at will be WotC. WotC has never clearly asserted the contrary - the closest it has come (that I know of) is a hint in a leaked document associated with the never-revealed OGL 2.0 (I think I saw this in mid-Jan - if you want I can find the post that it was in).

WotC currently also offers to enter into licence agreements, again under both the OGL and the CC. These are both gratuitous offers, in the sense that WotC is not legally obliged to make them: it chooses to do without compulsion. It can cease to make those offers at any time. No one that I know of disputes this in relation to the OGL; the FAQ on the CC site expressly recognises that this is a possibility for CC.

The interesting question, if that second thing happens, what is the capacity of people who at that point don't have a licence from WotC to get one. Clearly they are not going to get one straight from WotC, as it has stopped offering them.

I think the better, though not at all certain view - based on the text of the OGL alone - is that there is such a power under the OGL. This is because each existing licensee has, as part of their entitlements, the power to issue new licences in respect of WotC's material. So a newcomer would need to take a licence from one of those existing licensees (eg Hypertext SRD). I think this view becomes much stronger when one goes beyond the licence text alone to the fact that WotC made various representations about this, including but not limited to its FAQ, which have been relied upon by other parties.

When it comes to CC, the mechanism for resolving the interesting question is quite different. Section 2.a.5.A provides that each person who receives the material from a licensee is automatically made an offer of a licence. And as this is attached to existing licensees, it is intended to endure even if the licensor withdraws their offer to enter into new licences.

It's this "automatic offer" idea that I think is a bit mysterious - not if the licensor has not withdrawn their own offer, but if they have - because in that latter case it's not a real offer at all. That's why Van Houweling characterises it as a "servitude" - ie a quasi-proprietary phenomenon that is created by contract but then takes on a life of its own.

teitan

Legend
You appear to not understand the legal issues being discussed (like the difference between a licence agreement and an offer to enter into a licence agreement), and not to recognise the absolutely radical differences between the software situation and WotC's licensing of the SRD.

You also attribute powers to the CC organisation ("CC won't allow that") that it does not possess.

As a result, your post is hyperboblic and, frankly, misinformation.
You always respond that way and it frankly comes off as a way to end discussion rather than anything of a solid nature, have a great life.

Remathilis

Legend
Their claims, FAQs, and other pages are just claims, not statutes or case law. A claim is just a claim. It might be and probably is based in law, but then so are most legal challenges.
I mean, if a significant amount of power went against the CC, there is a chance it could be revoked. If the Supreme Court rulings from the last decade are any indication, then I don't believe you can call anything "irrevocable" or "settled law" as long as there is enough money and political willpower to see it overturned.

That said, the CC isn't going to go quietly and it isn't WotC's to control like the ogl was. It's about as safe as you are going to get for now. It's certainly as safe as ORC or any similar licence.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
those licenses govern the tech and how the device works. If the same license is used in tech and used by RPG companies then it impacts both until challenged in court. The companies can withdraw the license and the users would have to issue challenges and it could be in court for years before the dust settles. CC won't allow that. Even with an RPG company. It ruins their integrity and reliability.
Never mind. It's clear that you continue to not understand what I am saying.

Remove ads

Remove ads