WotC WotC blacklist. Discussion

Jahydin

Hero
Wait what? No. It’s just two people doing this as a side business. I dint think they ever did any video products before. Cheese n crackers give people a breaks
No? I think getting people to watch the videos might be a tiny way for them to earn money. Harmless, but annoying.

There's a chef I like to watch on YouTube that does things similarly. He lists the ingredients on his website, but you have to watch the video for the instructions, haha. Now I think of it, that's pretty clever cause he double-taps ad revenue by making you go to two websites...

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
It’s just two people doing this as a side business.
It's no longer a side business. They both work on it full time and they are about to switch to a subscription model.

To be clear, I'm only replying to this specific point. Regarding the video, I also personally prefer to read information, but even my espresso machine has all the instructions via videos...

Hussar

Legend
Phew... ok, sorry about that. Just needed to vent. I've been trying to do some stuff on Fantasy Grounds and every single time I try to find information, it's either buried in a wiki that is years out of date and/or so crammed with technical programming terms that it's incomprehensible, OR it's buried in a 30 minute youtube video.

This one just hit ALL the buttons. :p

Ondath

Hero
It's no longer a side business. They both work on it full time and they are about to switch to a subscription model.
I found out about this only recently and it's such a shame. Owlbear Rodeo was unique among VTTs in that it just used your browser's cache for storing maps and tokens and it provided the closest experience to play in person IMO (in that there was no automation, so everyone just played by looking at their sheet/adding dice rolls in their heads etc.). It seems they're switching to a server-hosted model too, with free users only getting 100 MB of space. I really think the VTT got feature bloat by people insisting it cover more things, and I would've preferred it remained a free, lightweight option compared to bigger power players like Foundry and Fantasy Grounds. Oh well, the realities of capitalism I suppose.

Why do they do this? I have no freaking idea what this serves? Just write the freaking instructions down somewhere on a wiki, in plain language. I absolutely LOATHE youtube howto videos.
Because its easy. Many of them don't have thorough notes nor do they edit the video. They can take 5 minutes to do a rough outline, then record for 15 minutes and post. Many people take much longer to write proper instructions.

I've had to do both for work, write instructions and do videos. Written is much much more useful to me, and easier to find info, and takes a user less time. BUT, it takes much longer to write proper documentation with screen shots etc than it does to just make a video and post it.

Now, if one if going to do a proper editing and timestamping a video, it takes longer, but no one bothers to do that.

Interesting story, I used to have to do a software product demo. Same demo, 3-4 times per week for about 6 months. Took 45 minutes, everytime, plus a little longer depending upon questions. I was finally allowed to record and edit it. It edited down to a 15 minute video. We got tons more people willing to watch a 15 minute product demo than a 45 minute interactive one.
If they were doing it to get the information out there, that would be one thing. But they're doing it for clicks. A text answer can't make you a quasi-celebrity.
Many of them, at least in FG, are done by community members and not company employees. I also know some of them don't care about the clicks and don't monetize them in anyway. And then their are others that are trying to build an influencer business.

Remove ads