WotC WotC blacklist. Discussion

Jahydin

Hero
Again, I'd question the interpretation which ends with "a few would say that 4th edition was good". He's got a pretty clear bias here.
Very true!

Never minding that in the entire run of 4e, there was never so much as a whisper about an MMO, plus the fact that 4e, as a game, would absolutely fail as an MMO.
Yeah, I think that was poor wording on his part. Did some more digging and looks like @darjr had the right idea:
Past D&D video games were missing one key component: The dungeon master. Everything was fixed and scripted. The software suite, however, is actually D&D. The players and the DM communicate as if they were sitting around a physical table rather than a virtual one with virtual models and dice. The DM has the same powers he or she would have in a traditional game, but all the dice and math are taken care of by the system. Character sheets are even updated automatically.
So "MMO" in the sense it would be a massive social media site where people would meet up, chat, blog, and jump into games with each other via VTT.

But still, I'm heavily under the impression this entire game was built with a VTT that took care of all the busy work in mind. I'm grateful it never panned out though, cause I'm sure it would have turned into microtransaction hell.

darjr

I crit!
Here is the reference from Diddier from WotCs original forums, where he states that random packs of digital miniatures are being considered.

Note this is I think the first mention of randomized packs but the question was promoted from previous information about digital minis being for sale. And Didier does say that others ways to acquire, i.e. buy, them was being considered.

Note also it is an official source and not some random talk.

Has this article been posted?

This article mentions digital assets for sale including miniatures and terrain. Which Id forgotten about.

Really good article about what was wrong with 4e and why it happened. Thanks for sharing.

If the choice was D&D stopped being sold for a few years because Hasbro thought it wasn’t profitable enough, or the actual history of 4e as “rushed” and “controversial“ design, to put it kindly, I wish Hasbro would have been sold it to the fans, like the Green Bay Packers. No reason it couldn’t be a fan-owned corporation run for the benefit of the game.

Last edited:

Cordwainer Fish

Imp. Int. Scout Svc. (Dishon. Ret.)
If the choice was D&D stopped being sold for a few years because Hasbro thought it wasn’t profitable enough, or the actual history of 4e as “rushed” and “controversial“ design, to put it kindly, I wish Hasbro could have been honest about, and sold it to the fans, like the Green Bay Packers.
Why would the Packers buy D&D?

Riley

Legend
I do wish they’d just OGL license 4e.
Goodman Games and Kobold Press both did solid 4e-compatible products back in the day. There’s also 13th Age. Is there something to be gained from a 4e OGL that can’t be managed via the 3e (and/or 5e) OGL and some clever tapdancing?

darjr

I crit!
Goodman Games and Kobold Press both did solid 4e-compatible products back in the day. There’s also 13th Age. Is there something to be gained from a 4e OGL that can’t be managed via the 3e (and/or 5e) OGL and some clever tapdancing?
A much easier time making a clone rule set with WotC blessing via the OGL. A much better gamble.

Remove ads