D&D 5E WotC Dungeons & Dragons 2020 Product Survey

R_J_K75

Legend
Survey question redundancy is a thing.

Apparently in this one it is. I understand this Ive taken many tests like this for jobs. I think in WotC case they couldve just asked if as a player of D&D, (regardless if Im a player or DM) if I use x, y or z. Just cut to the chase and ask me what Id purchase or consider purchasing. I understand the game needs to change as the world and technology changes but Im a not huge fan of the idea of things becoming more digital, never have, its a TTRPG after all.

My opinion is Dragonlance will come back, but not yet, not in this production phase (like cinematic marvel phases). Hasbro notices they aren't enough ready and it may be too risky. Hasbro knows Dragonlance was a cash-cow in its age, with the most famous D&D characters, and they want "making Dragonlance great again" but this a good work. The future of Dragonlance is as multimedia franchise, and they don't want to repeat the same failure than the cartoon movie.

WotC could publish an updated version of the classis modules, but this is not only this. It's about how to redesign the old classic characters to sell merchadicing. It is also about how to continue the metaplot in the age of the mortals or how to explain a reboot of the line (time travel is canon in Dragonlance ;) ), or how adding new characters, females or from other races, or possible new classes from new crunch sourcebooks.

By the way, in the novel "Tanis the shadow years" the famous half-elf was in a time-travel to the past...really he was in something like a "akasha realm", a demiplane created by the memory. I think this concept od "dreamland demiplane" open doors for stories of alternate Krynns, for example one where Tas the kender is a girl, Tanis a woman and Laurana a metrosexual male elf, Raistlin with tribal-punk tatoos on the face or Tika redheard but darkskin.

Dragonlance is special because it more famous thanks novels than the modules. I guess it come back when Hasbro could master, be fluent in to produce good videogames and media titles based in D&D and other IPs. It's too potentially valuable to risk a new failure like the cartoon movie.

---

Please, not more controversy because Rajaat, the first spellcaster of Dark Sun setting, didn't like the green edition and then to come back to the blue edition the tried to ban all the new PC races, casing a total disaster worse than the previous and the end of the green edition. We should accept sometimes changes are neccesary.

Last edited:

SirGrotius

Explorer
That's a well written survey. I like how they are very open ended in their questions, e.g., not only "what do you like about...x" but "what do you like or dislike about...x" etc.

jasper

Rotten DM
Some of the names I had trouble recognizing. What is bad is I homebrew from 1980-2004. Did play till 2016, And from that year I mostly DM Adventure League, and had few homebrew sessions. I did wish they had a general comments section at the end because I was taking notes. And I am an outlier due just purchasing D&D beyond in the last month.

R_J_K75

Legend
I know WotC planning/development/release cycle has been discussed in threads before, where and when I don't remember but it wasn't long ago. They have been doing surveys for a long time but have they ever released the results insofar as this particular survey resulted in these products? That would be interesting to see.

Remove ads