• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC WotC needs an Elon Musk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cordwainer Fish

Imp. Int. Scout Svc. (Dishon. Ret.)
Heck no. Why would you wish another Lorraine Williams but worse? Elon isn’t a visionary. He’s a credit taker.
And say what you will about Williams, she at least brought Buck Rogers to the table.
1669209165996.gif

Art Waring

halozix.com
The last thing dnd needs is another corporate "visionary leader" to step in.

I also fail to understand how having more money equates to being better at running a company.

More money often equals more problems.

Oofta

Legend
Twitter is going to be fine, better then ever in the long run.
Twitter has been in a death spiral for a long time, having only been profitable for a brief period from 2018 to 2019. It was not worth $44 billion, most people valued it around $10 billion. The company needed to change. Problem is it needed surgery and investment in rebuilding the core, not a blind man running around with dynamite and a chainsaw.

No one has a crystal ball of course, but now that it's been saddled with additional debt I don't think the prognosis is great. Brand name doesn't guarantee long term success, there's nothing magical about twitter that can't be recreated. In addition, how you change a corporate culture matters and it seems like Musk didn't really want to buy the company in the first place. He's kind of like the dog that caught the car.

But even if he does turn things around, a company based on technology is completely different from a content creator with as narrow a market as WOTC. Even if they did "revitalize" the company the odds of them producing a product you personally want is vanishingly small.

Mallus

Legend
WotC needs an Elon Musk...
Why? Are WotC's workers being treated too humanely?
Part of WotC's problem is they are too focused on casuals, but it's the hardcore fans that create the buzz that draws in the casuals in the first place (this is shown by the Fandom survey/research that basically fandoms in 4 grades from the most hardcore fans to the most casual casuals). Their current approach is to alienate hardcore fans to court casuals, and that is a problem because it's the hardcore fans the build the foundation the gets you the casuals.

It's what made the MCU (and ignoring that truth is killing the MCU) for example.
I just watched that video! Apparently because I needed a dose of inanity to go along with my morning coffee.

Prior to the MCU, 'hardcore Marvel fans' could barely support the relatively minuscule print runs of modern comics. Which isn't to say there wasn't great work being done. Everyone who likes good story & good art should read the Fraction/Aja Hawkeye series, to give an example.

It's the 'casuals' -- ie the general movie-going audience -- that turned the MCU into the entertainment juggernaut it is now.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
look I do believe wotc needs more vision and to make more high-quality material but I would rather put myself in charge of it instead of an elon style corporate tapeworm and I would not have my self manage a bath let alone a large corporation.

I would not be against a more hard-core product but a diverse high-quality range would do better.
also psionic and a book collection of every mythical creature ever heard of so I can make the coolest possible gladiatorial ring in dnd.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Granted it is a lot more work than the simple-minded folks at WotC ...

Mod Note:
It is okay to not like things. Insulting people for making something you don't like is not okay.

If you have to attack the people, you'll do it elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads