Unearthed Arcana WotC Removes Latest Unearthed Arcana

WotC has removed this week's Unearthed Arcana from its website. Not only has the article's web page itself been removed, the actual PDF has been replaced with last month's "Subclasses, Part 1" PDF (although it's URL still reads... /UA2020-Subclasses02.pdf).

Status
Not open for further replies.
WotC has removed this week's Unearthed Arcana from its website. Not only has the article's web page itself been removed, the actual PDF has been replaced with last month's "Subclasses, Part 1" PDF (although it's URL still reads... /UA2020-Subclasses02.pdf).

The article included three new subclasses, the bardic College of Creation, the cleric's Love Domain, and the sorcerer's Clockwork Soul.

[NOTE - NSFW language follows].

I don't know if it's linked, but WotC came under criticism on Twitter for its treatment of the Love Domain. The main argument isn't that mind-control magic has no place in the game, but rather that coercive powers should not be described as "love", and that the domain might be poorly named.

People like game designer Emmy Allen commented: "It seems WotC have tried to create a 'Love' domain for clerics in 5e. By some sheer coincidence they seem to have accidentally created a 'roofie' domain instead. Nothing says 'love' like overriding your target's free will to bring them under your power."

That domain was introduced as follows: "Love exists in many forms—compassion, infatuation, friendly affection, and passionate love as a few facets. Whatever form these feelings take, the gods of love deepen the bonds between individuals."

The powers were Eboldening Bond, Impulsive Infatuation ("Overwhelm a creature with a flash of short-lived by intense admiration for you, driving them to rash action in your defense”), Protective Bond, and Enduring Unity.

Whether the criticism was a factor in the article's withdrawal, I don't know. It might be that it just wasn't ready for prime-time yet. It seems the domain itself would be better named a "control" or "charm" domain than a "love" domain, which seems to be the main thrust of the criticism on Twitter.

WotC's Jeremy Crawford commented: "The official version of the Unearthed Arcana article “Subclasses, Part 2” is still ahead of us, later this week or sometime next week. Our team will hold off on answering questions until you’ve seen the real deal!"

NotAYakk

Legend
Realistically, everyone knows a sexual abuse victim -- a lot of people just don't realize it.
And some people don't care. :(

---

So, the domain spells. What should they be?

The fact that Ceremony was missing is a big one.

Imagine a Love Priest whose job it is to bring couples together. So spells to help with making decisions and commitments and otherwise helping others.

Guidance as a bonus cantrip. A priest of love gives guidance to people seeking romantic advice.

L1: Ceremony, Protection from Evil and Good

• Ceremony, to perform marriages.
  • Protection from Evil and Good, to ensure both are acting of their own accord.

L2: Enhance Ability, Zone of Truth
  • Enhance Ability, so they can be their best
  • Zone of Truth, so they can profess their love with certainty

L3: Beacon of Hope, Remove Curse
  • Beacon of Hope, because it is an aura of love
  • Remove Curse, to remove things blocking love

L4: Death Ward, Confusion
  • Death Ward, to protect a loved one doing something dangerous
  • Confusion, because love is confusing

L5: Commune, Dispel Evil and Good
  • Commune, to get advice on coupling
  • Dispel Evil and Good, upgrade to Protection

Confusion is a bit of a joke, as I couldn't find another great L 4 spell. But it is funny.

No mind control. Rather, a bunch of protection from mind control, so you can be certain love is true.

Also, fix the bit where the optimal use of one ability is to "love" a rat, and knock the rat out.

Last edited:

Panda-s1

Scruffy and Determined
I haven't seen the UA article so I'm not taking sides other than to say that I wonder if its one side jumping to conclusions, over reacting and perceiving ill intentions when this may have just been an oversight and a honest mistake on the part of designer?
purposefully creating something conflates love and mind control is a hell of a mistake to make lol.

also never got why "ill-intentions" should be a prerequisite for people being upset, shittier things have been done with good intentions.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I haven't seen the UA article so I'm not taking sides other than to say that I wonder if its one side jumping to conclusions, over reacting and perceiving ill intentions when this may have just been an oversight and a honest mistake on the part of designer?
Good intentions don't insulate one from criticism or consequences.

WotC has done a lot of work to create a 5th Edition that's more welcoming to both existing fans and to the broader community of people who either had never played D&D or had drifted away from it. This domain is not consistent with that ethos.

purposefully creating something conflates love and mind control is a hell of a mistake to make lol.

also never got why "ill-intentions" should be a prerequisite for people being upset, crappier things have been done with good intentions.
because sometimes people just screw up, and if you persecute someone every time they make an honest mistake/reject someone who's trying to be better you're just setting up an impossible cliff to climb so why should people even bother.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
WotC has done a lot of work to create a 5th Edition that's more welcoming to both existing fans and to the broader community of people who either had never played D&D or had drifted away from it. This domain is not consistent with that ethos.

But, taking it down when the issues were noted... is in that ethos.

Perfection is denied to mere mortals. People make mistakes. In most cases, it is okay, so long as they correct themselves when the error is pointed out.

R_J_K75

Legend

also never got why "ill-intentions" should be a prerequisite for people being upset, shittier things have been done with good intentions.

Good intentions don't insulate one from criticism or consequences.

Fair enough. I have nothing else positive to add other than what I've already said so I'm un-watching this thread. I have other opinions but this is not the place for them.

I think a commitment domain would be a better goal than a love domain if you didn't want to make too many changes: marriage, "blood" brothers/sisters, adoption, that sort of thing.

If they want to keep the love domain, then make it a romance domain with a focus on about "setting the mood": dancing lights, enhance ability (make you look like a better catch), conjure woodland creatures (close as I can get to conjure cherubs), heroic feast, and channel divinity: Barry White music

Panda-s1

Scruffy and Determined
Fair enough. I have nothing else positive to add other than what I've already said so I'm un-watching this thread. I have other opinions but this is not the place for them.
I mean you aren't wondering if the designers made some terribly objectionable and morally repugnant material and people are justifiably tearing them apart, so I can only imagine what those opinions are lol
because sometimes people just screw up, and if you persecute someone every time they make an honest mistake/reject someone who's trying to be better you're just setting up an impossible cliff to climb so why should people even bother.
if you don't point out the mistakes people make they're not gonna get better. don't frame this as "persecution" when they made an actual mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads