D&D 5E WotC Shares Theros Table of Contents

WotC has shared the table of contents of Mythic Odysseys of Theros. Well, part of it, at least. Update -- thanks to "obscureReviewer" on Twitter, here's a fuller image!

WotC has shared the table of contents of Mythic Odysseys of Theros. Well, part of it, at least.

table of contents.jpg

Update -- thanks to "obscureReviewer" on Twitter, here's a fuller image!

EZRMn-tUcAUe5g_.jpg

dave2008

Legend
Those same swords (actually, probably lesser versions) were cutting through a creature made of magically enhanced Iron 15 levels ago.
Look I am not talking about fantasy hear. I am talking about the idea that even if a sword has a blade 30 inches long, even if it can slice through iron or Godzilla's skin (which is supposed to be harder than iron), that sword can't physically cut deep enough (30" sword < 36" - 200" skin). It is not physically possible.

Thor took down Jormundandr the Midguard serpent with a hammer, and it was big enough to encircle the entire world.
Sure, that is myth and fantasy - which is not what I was talking about. However, it is interesting to note you are talking about a god who hits the serpent in the head and every historical representation of Jormundandr indicates that head was not that much bigger than Thor.

I'm sure high-epic level PCs can take down Godzilla with less.
Not in my game. It would take a deity or similar to challenge any version of Godzilla in my game. You can play that way if you want of course, but the idea seems to silly for me to entertain in my game.

Look I am not talking about fantasy hear.

You are talking about fantasy. Godzilla is fantasy. Wizards and Clerics and Elves are fantasy. We're in a forum dedicated to a fantasy roleplaying game.

You can keep your sword swingers to the guy in the gym if you want I guess, and rule they cant affect it because the guy in the gym couldnt either.

I bet in the same breath you'd let the Wizard teleport the thing to the moon though using magic.

Would love to see the guy in the gym do that.

Double standards and all.

dave2008

Legend
You are talking about fantasy. Godzilla is fantasy. Wizards and Clerics and Elves are fantasy. We're in a forum dedicated to a fantasy roleplaying game.
I guess I thought people could understand the difference and discuss a RL physical mechanics on fantasy creatures simply based on size of materials without having to resort to "it's magic." My mistake. I am not trying to tread on anyone's fantasy.

I was just saying a 30" blade cannot cut through a sturdy material that is 36" or greater in thickness. It can cut that material, but not all the way through it. It doesn't matter if it is cheeses or iron or adamant or Godzilla's skin.

Now, if you want to add fantasy sword mastery to that, where the slice of the sword is the concept of cutting and the depth of the cut is only limited by your will or mastery of the concept of cutting, then sure it can cut through the world if you want. That was not what I was talking about, but I don't have any issue with that in a fantasy game.

Double standards and all.
Assume much? Actually I would make big G immune to mortal magic probably (or at least really high saves). I personally prefer martial characters and only play fighters and/or rogues.

Last edited:

I guess I thought people could understand the difference and discuss a RL physical mechanics on fantasy creatures simply based on size of materials without having to resort to "it's magic." My mistake.
Yup, last time I tried attacking a stone statue with a pointy metal stick the statue won. And that was just a regular statue. Any attempt to apply RL physical mechanics to D&D combat is doomed from the start.

dave2008

Legend
Yup, last time I tried attacking a stone statue with a pointy metal stick the statue won. And that was just a regular statue. Any attempt to apply RL physical mechanics to D&D combat is doomed from the start.
Again, that is not what I was trying to do. I was simply saying a 30" stick cannot get all the way through a 36" substance. It doesn't matter if that substance is real or fantasy. However, in D&D anything is possible of course.

Again, that is not what I was trying to do. I was simply saying a 30" stick cannot get all the way through a 36" substance. It doesn't matter if that substance is real or fantasy. In D&D anything is possible of course.
And it can't go through a 1" thick stone substance either. Realism and D&D does not compute.

I'm pretty sure I could carve a path through 36" inches of jello with a 30" knife more easily than getting the knife through one inch of granite.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
And it can't go through a 1" thick stone substance either. Realism and D&D does not compute.

I'm pretty sure I could carve a path through 36" inches of jello with a 30" knife more easily than getting the knife through one inch of granite.
Look, tanks and such are ineffective against Gojira, a sword means nothing.

Remove ads

Remove ads