D&D 5E WotC Shares Theros Table of Contents

WotC has shared the table of contents of Mythic Odysseys of Theros. Well, part of it, at least. Update -- thanks to "obscureReviewer" on Twitter, here's a fuller image!

WotC has shared the table of contents of Mythic Odysseys of Theros. Well, part of it, at least.

table of contents.jpg

Update -- thanks to "obscureReviewer" on Twitter, here's a fuller image!

EZRMn-tUcAUe5g_.jpg

Talking about the societal influences, no commentary on the merits of any real life religion intended. It's pretty much impossible to discuss paladins without bringing in RL religion, since the whole class is defined by a religious ideal.
Just avoid discussing it entirely. No need to bring any influences into it.
Discussing paladins in their fantasy-only context is a lot better.

Just avoid discussing it entirely. No need to bring any influences into it.
Discussing paladins in their fantasy-only context is a lot better.
So, it would be inapropiate to discuss Greek influences on Theros?

Fantasy does not exist in isolation or spring from nowhere. It does not and cannot exist outside of real world influneces

So, it would be inapropiate to discuss Greek influences on Theros?
Where have I said this.
Whatever conclusion you want to come to is up to you.

Fantasy does not exist in isolation or spring from nowhere. It does not and cannot exist outside of real world influneces
No one is denying that.
You can still discuss influences without bringing in RL religion. In fact you can discuss Greek myth without bringing in Greek religion.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
That's because you aren't an ancient Greek. Modern ideas of what heroism is are quite different.
No, I think ancient Greeks would agree with me. When I said hero, I'm not even considering how his abilites can help others. This guy would make a great hero who charges forward to take on the enemy single-handed. He can be more durable, he enters the fray before the others charging forward to claim all the glory for themselves. He can turn the enemy's strikes against him with glorious defence and when he hits level 20 he becomes an almost unstoppable juggernaut for the encounter.

Also, I just noticed his level 20 ability can be refreshed with a 5th level spell slot. More abilities need to be like this.

Where have I said this.
Whatever conclusion you want to come to is up to you.

No one is denying that.
You can still discuss influences without bringing in RL religion. In fact you can discuss Greek myth without bringing in Greek religion.
No, you can't, not with any intellectual honesty. Religion both informs and reflects the way a people see the world. That includes the Ancient Greeks. The gods where a very real presence for the ancient Greeks and run all the way though their myths and legends, and that is reflected in Theros. Thus, you cannot discuss Theros without involving RL religion.

In the Greek Myths, Odysseus uses trickery to facilitate a massacre, gets all his crew killed on the voyage home, has a 10 year affair with a nymph, then when he does eventually arrive home he murders all his wife's suitors. And is judged an admirable hero.

During the proceeding war, Hector killed Patroclus, so Achilles Killed Hector (in a duel he knew he couldn't loose, and then humiliates the body afterwards), so Paris killed Achilles. And these guys are all accredited heroes acting heroicly.

Last edited:

No, you can't, not with any intellectual honesty. Religion both informs and reflects the way a people see the world. That includes the Ancient Greeks. The gods where a very real presence for the ancient Greeks and run all the way though their myths and legends, and that is reflected in Theros. Thus, you cannot discuss Theros without involving RL religion.
We are discussing Theros. No need to bring RL religion at all into it. At all.

Remove ads

Remove ads