WotC Updates D&D's AI Policy After YouTuber's False Accusations

YouTuber falsely accused D&D artist of using AI based on "something feeling off".

dungeons-and-dragons-2024-players-handbook-fighter-full-page-splash.jpeg

This awesome art by Nestor Ossandón is not AI

Following a YouTuber falsely accusing an artist who worked for WotC of using AI based on "something feeling off" in a widely watched (but now deleted) video, Wizards of the Coast has updated its AI policy.

For 50 years, D&D has been built on the innovation, ingenuity, and hard work of talented people who sculpt a beautiful, creative game. That isn't changing. Our internal guidelines remain the same with regards to artificial intelligence tools: We require artists, writers, and creatives contributing to the D&D TTRPG to refrain from using AI generative tools to create final D&D products. We work with some of the most talented artists and creatives in the world, and we believe those people are what makes D&D great.

The YouTuber in question is Taron Pounds, username 'Indestructoboy', and made his now deleted video because, in his words, 'something felt incredibly off'. He's an ENnie-winning game designer, and has since posted an apology on Twitter:

I contributed to "rage bait" content this year after the OGL situation. That's on me. If I was frustrated by a situation, I felt compelled to say something to the camera. That's just not okay. I bought in hard on the "anti-WotC" train and should have just put my energy elsewhere.

IMG_2202.PNG

Rage-bait videos are a problematic part of not just the D&D community, but on YouTube in general--as a massive Doctor Who fan, my YouTube feed is full of similar stuff about that show. The D&D stuff I see is overwhelmingly negative about how D&D is dying (it isn't, by the way). Unfortunately, that's what YouTube incentivises, and that's what gets the thousands of clicks: video thumbnails with big text, a controversial statement or question, probably a big shocked face, and a giant question mark or arrow, or maybe a jagged cartoony graph trending downwards. It's important to realise that just because that's what gets the clicks, it doesn't make it true. It is, however, a massive part of what drives the community narrative at the moment.

A shout-out should go to Christian Hoffer, who took the time to actually email the artist in question, who confirmed--with evidence--that the art was completely human generated. The YouTuber did not even make that basic step. You can read his report on Twitter here (and you should follow him if you're still on that site). The artist in question is Nestor Ossandón, who responded to Hoffer as follows.

First of all, I do not use artificial intelligence (NOT AI) for my work and no one but you and my director have asked me. And that image is completely painted. It is one of my favorite recent jobs that I have been able to do. And if you see other old works, you can see that my tendency is very similar when it comes to painting. I always play with warm and cold ones on my face. Thanks to the work together with the art director. They give me the freedom and appropriate time to develop it. This character is completely painted from scratch with a gray and superimposed color technique. Then I paint the cold tones to give atmosphere and light. It took me more than two weeks and my director was very happy with this work.

To be clear, Nestor Ossandón did not use AI to create the above art.

The artist provided proof (not that they should have to) which Hoffer posted on Twitter.

GBqR8ntbIAA5QIS.png

There's not much real journalism that goes on in the tiny corner of the world that is the TTRPG industry; it’s still a niche topic, although it’s more popular than it’s ever been. I myself do not consider myself as such--I report on stuff, but I don't investigate stuff, and my contribution is not much more than simple reportage and aggregation (not that I undervalue that--I've been doing it for 24 years now, and folks still read it, and I recognise my own value!) Christian Hoffer (ComicBook.com), Lin Codega (laid off from iO9, but hopefully they will find a new outlet soon), Christopher Helton (retired) and other folks like that are great examples of journalism in this little industry. YouTube... there's a lot of great, informative, fun stuff on there, and there are folks I follow and enjoy, but you should be careful!

(Edit—I had some examples of video thumbnails here but I don’t want to give the impression they are related to this AI art episode.)

Retreater

Legend
Our coverage of the industry hasn't really changed since we started our YouTube channel. We are simply reporting the news and what is occurring in the industry, and Hasbro has had a horrible year and many self-inflicted wounds. But when positive things happen, such as our playtest of the D&D VTT (which both I and the Professor really enjoyed), we make sure to report that as well. But I'm very much looking forward to reporting and covering the new version of D&D next year, and we dedicated two entire weeks of videos detailing the changes in Pathfinder Remastered. We talk about everything, good and bad... there was just a lot more bad this year than good. Hopefully, this will change in 2024.
I'm looking forward to your RFC Live this afternoon. And I watched all those Remaster change videos (they were a great distraction while I was sitting in the hospital while my dad was in a coma - so thanks for the content. I sent you some super chats and backed your KS for appreciation.)
I suppose I might be in the minority, but I'd love to hear more content about what you're doing with Battlezoo, Mark Seifter's design process for the new ancestries, positive things about other designers and artists you're working with. It's just lately been a lot of "WotC/Hasbro is trying to destroy the hobby and turn it into a video game." When I guess I'd like to hear "Here's a preview of the new Angel ancestry - its abilities and how to put this into your campaign."

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
I have no proof of this - but I wonder how much of this is just the nefarious algorithm of YouTube suggesting more "clickbait" titles? It doesn't recommend me stuff like how to craft his Ultimate Dungeon Terrain or his Lost City campaign video. Maybe if it suggested those titles, more people would watch them? It's like YouTube creates its own death spiral of extremist content.
Yeah, it's a self-reinforcing vicious cycle. He shows the feedback the creators get too- "Hey, this clickbait one's getting a lot of engagement! You got 98 new subscribers and an estimated revenue of $117 from it! We're pushing it more and you should probably do more like it." Meanwhile "this terrain crafting video got 20% of the Likes, 9 new subscribers, and made you $5".

I hate and love YouTube at the same time. I have seen it militarize my family in extremist political and religious ideology. It also taught me how to shave, tie a tie, and change a turn signal.
I feel fortunate to have dodged that with my family, but I've seen it happen to formerly good gaming buddies. :( But yeah, it's also an incredible font of USEFUL info and tutorial videos. Oh, how to change the tricky headlights on my new car? Or replace the cracked front grill by myself in just a few minutes? Done.

Last edited:

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
Rage-bait videos are a problematic part of not just the D&D community, but on YouTube in general--as a massive Doctor Who fan, my YouTube feed is full of similar stuff about that show.

To me it almost seems as if the ragey Dr Who-videos are done before the episodes even air, laying ready to be released and to pick up the precious clicks of the outrage brigade.

Stonesnake

Explorer
I'm looking forward to your RFC Live this afternoon. And I watched all those Remaster change videos (they were a great distraction while I was sitting in the hospital while my dad was in a coma - so thanks for the content. I sent you some super chats and backed your KS for appreciation.)
I suppose I might be in the minority, but I'd love to hear more content about what you're doing with Battlezoo, Mark Seifter's design process for the new ancestries, positive things about other designers and artists you're working with. It's just lately been a lot of "WotC/Hasbro is trying to destroy the hobby and turn it into a video game." When I guess I'd like to hear "Here's a preview of the new Angel ancestry - its abilities and how to put this into your campaign."
That is actually a good idea. I'll talk to Mark, and we will mix in our Battlezoo releases into the video schedule going forward in 2024! Thanks for this feedback.

I noticed a funny thing yesterday. Roll for Combat made a video about Hasbro, in it he talks about the success of GW. Then I see another video by Discourse Minis about how GW is in "big trouble". They are starting to contradict themselves.

Stonesnake

Explorer
I noticed a funny thing yesterday. Roll for Combat made a video about Hasbro, in it he talks about the success of GW. Then I see another video by Discourse Minis about how GW is in "big trouble". They are starting to contradict themselves.
Success is relative. I was comparing GW to Hasbro. GW had a fantastic year compared to the year Hasbro had. As for the overall health of GW and the 40k market in general... that is a different topic.

Success is relative. I was comparing GW to Hasbro. GW had a fantastic year compared to the year Hasbro had. As for the overall health of GW and the 40k market in general... that is a different topic.
You had some interesting points in that video. I know I'm putting the squeeze to you here but I'd like to also say I enjoy most of your videos.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
As someone who falls prey to the negative geek culture algorithms of YouTube (not just tabletop gaming but also video games, films, television, etc.), it's something that I've increasingly wanted to avoid. The content is what's highlighted, and I'm spoonfed this stuff as background noise while I'm painting, driving, etc.
Even people I used to go out of my way to watch (Professor DM, Roll for Combat) are becoming more negative.
I wish I could locate better content.
Honestly, I just wait it out here on EN world. Sure, I might be last to know, but I dont have to go through the entire process of discovery, being mad, being sad, being confused, etc.. I skip all of it and just get the scoop. Might sound a bit old style, but ive always had an old style.

On the topic of being negative, I think its squarely the result of social media and algorithms. Controversy leads, and misery loves company. There is a social media set up for my company that is like discord called slack. We have a video game channel with an enthusiastic younger gentleman. He gets extremely caught up in the clickbait racket. While being passionate about video games, he comes off extremely negative. Every day there is a new existential crisis in video games. A new villain, a new gripe, etc.. This fellow has been told numerous times to stop posting so negatively. They turn to say they are being bullied, censored, etc.. Long story short, passionate folks who want to participate in the hobby/community are lead to think this gets attention and results, but worse, they think its appropriate.

Not saying thats you, or anybody here. Its just a cautionary tale about getting caught up in the hoopla. It's not cool being unplugged and last to know, but the second mouse always gets the cheese too. Can do wonders for your outlook and disposition.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Honestly, I just wait it out here on EN world. Sure, I might be last to know, but I dont have to go through the entire process of discovery, being mad, being sad, being confused, etc.. I skip all of it and just get the scoop. Might sound a bit old style, but ive always had an old style.

On the topic of being negative, I think its squarely the result of social media and algorithms. Controversy leads, and misery loves company. There is a social media set up for my company that is like discord called slack. We have a video game channel with an enthusiastic younger gentleman. He gets extremely caught up in the clickbait racket. While being passionate about video games, he comes off extremely negative. Every day there is a new existential crisis in video games. A new villain, a new gripe, etc.. This fellow has been told numerous times to stop posting so negatively. They turn to say they are being bullied, censored, etc.. Long story short, passionate folks who want to participate in the hobby/community are lead to think this gets attention and results, but worse, they think its appropriate.

Not saying thats you, or anybody here. Its just a cautionary tale about getting caught up in the hoopla. It's not cool being unplugged and last to know, but the second mouse always gets the cheese too. Can do wonders for your outlook and disposition.

I agree, but it's not just controversy. It's ANGER. Anger drives engagement more than any other emotion. And engagement brings those sweet, sweet dollars to the social media firms.

Pro tip- you probably can't change the world. You can't change what Hasbro is doing to D&D. You can't change what is going on in other countries. You likely can't change much with what is going on in your own country. Constantly getting outraged at everything (and there is always a lot to be outraged about) will just leave you feeling worse about everything, including yourself. I'm not saying not to voice your opinion, or act when you can ... just understand your own limits and the effect that the negativity has on you.

What I find helpful is doing things in your local community that helps others. Volunteer with an organization. Mentor children that need help. Give your time and money to places where you can see the good it can do. Coach youth sports or run games for kids at the local library. Doing good things, and seeing that it helps others in your community, is the best antidote to toxic social media.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I agree, but it's not just controversy. It's ANGER. Anger drives engagement more than any other emotion. And engagement brings those sweet, sweet dollars to the social media firms.

Pro tip- you probably can't change the world. You can't change what Hasbro is doing to D&D. You can't change what is going on in other countries. You likely can't change much with what is going on in your own country. Constantly getting outraged at everything (and there is always a lot to be outraged about) will just leave you feeling worse about everything, including yourself. I'm not saying not to voice your opinion, or act when you can ... just understand your own limits and the effect that the negativity has on you.

What I find helpful is doing things in your local community that helps others. Volunteer with an organization. Mentor children that need help. Give your time and money to places where you can see the good it can do. Coach youth sports or run games for kids at the local library. Doing good things, and seeing that it helps others in your community, is the best antidote to toxic social media.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads