D&D 5E WotC's Jeremy Crawford on D&D Races Going Forward

On Twitter, Jeremy Crawford discussed the treatment of orcs, Vistani, drow and others in D&D, and how WotC plans to treat the idea of 'race' in D&D going forward. In recent products (Eberron and Wildemount), the mandatory evil alignment was dropped from orcs, as was the Intelligence penalty. @ThinkingDM Look at the treatment orcs received in Eberron and Exandria. Dropped the Intelligence...

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Twitter, Jeremy Crawford discussed the treatment of orcs, Vistani, drow and others in D&D, and how WotC plans to treat the idea of 'race' in D&D going forward. In recent products (Eberron and Wildemount), the mandatory evil alignment was dropped from orcs, as was the Intelligence penalty.

636252771691385727.jpg

@ThinkingDM Look at the treatment orcs received in Eberron and Exandria. Dropped the Intelligence debuff and the evil alignment, with a more acceptable narrative. It's a start, but there's a fair argument for gutting the entire race system.

The orcs of Eberron and Wildemount reflect where our hearts are and indicate where we’re heading.

@vorpaldicepress I hate to be "that guy", but what about Drow, Vistani, and the other troublesome races and cultures in Forgotten Realms (like the Gur, another Roma-inspired race)? Things don't change over night, but are these on the radar?

The drow, Vistani, and many other folk in the game are on our radar. The same spirit that motivated our portrayal of orcs in Eberron is animating our work on all these peoples.

@MileyMan1066 Good. These problems need to be addressed. The variant features UA could have a sequel that includes notes that could rectify some of the problems and help move 5e in a better direction.

Addressing these issues is vital to us. Eberron and Wildemount are the first of multiple books that will face these issues head on and will do so from multiple angles.

@mbriddell I'm happy to hear that you are taking a serious look at this. Do you feel that you can achieve this within the context of Forgotten Realms, given how establised that world's lore is, or would you need to establish a new setting to do this?

Thankfully, the core setting of D&D is the multiverse, with its multitude of worlds. We can tell so many different stories, with different perspectives, in each world. And when we return to a world like FR, stories can evolve. In short, even the older worlds can improve.

@SlyFlourish I could see gnolls being treated differently in other worlds, particularly when they’re a playable race. The idea that they’re spawned hyenas who fed on demon-touched rotten meat feels like they’re in a different class than drow, orcs, goblins and the like. Same with minotaurs.

Internally, we feel that the gnolls in the MM are mistyped. Given their story, they should be fiends, not humanoids. In contrast, the gnolls of Eberron are humanoids, a people with moral and cultural expansiveness.

@MikeyMan1066 I agree. Any creature with the Humanoid type should have the full capacity to be any alignmnet, i.e., they should have free will and souls. Gnolls... the way they are described, do not. Having them be minor demons would clear a lot of this up.

You just described our team's perspective exactly.

As a side-note, the term 'race' is starting to fall out of favor in tabletop RPGs (Pathfinder has "ancestry", and other games use terms like "heritage"); while he doesn't comment on that specifically, he doesn't use the word 'race' and instead refers to 'folks' and 'peoples'.

variant

Adventurer
Insulting other members
D&D was created by racist Gary Gyxgax. That means it is systematically racist and should be banned altogether. Anyone who enjoys it is also racist.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
"People" is a very good term.
They also use “folk” in one instance, which is an excellent synonym.

Oh, and Wizards, with your two unannounced Ravenloft-related books, I will happily buy the reprint of Curse of Strahd, especially if we can get a preview of what the new and improved Vistani are like.

I also startled my partner shouting “YES!” when I read that bit.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
For fiends and celestials, I consider alignment itself to their "master", like a mechanical force of gravity.

I see fiends and celestials as having 2 masters. Their alignment and their god. Some lack the latter and serve only the alignment. Whether they can disobey a master or comprehend the opposite alignment is up the the worldbuilder's choice. I prefer them being unable. Makes them more weird. Like a devil cannot comprehend selfless charity.

sorta like the VTM Path of Service

Sins
10 Disobeying the direct order of the Great Mother alignment.
9 Disobeying the direct order of another Creator your god.
8 Disobeying a direct order of a Tremere superior.
7 Thwarting the intent of an order.
6 Disobeying any master.
5 Failing to punish an insult against the masters.
4 Failing to avenge a crime against the masters.
3 Remarking on the fallibility of the masters.
2 Shirking an opportunity to suffer injury to the other alignment outsiders.
1 Shirking an opportunity to die gloriously for the alignment.

Right, because you've invented a strawman -- "play muh story game instead of D&D" -- and are arguing both sides of the issue.

Actually argue the people here instead of fictitious people. If your argument is as strong as it ought to be, it can handle being tried against real posters.

I don't think the fact that I used the opportunity to make some fun of game designers who spend more time complaining about D&D on Twitter than actually, you know, making games, doesn't make it hard to understand my actual opinion on the issue.

But I'll say it for the third time now: while I totally support the pledge for a D&D that is ethnically diverse in regard to heroes and not based in real word cultures in regard to villains, I believe - and nothing in this thread moved my opinion even a bit in a different direction - that D&D fundamental tropes perpetuating colonialism is a nonissue. I just hope people who believe the contrary never become a majority of the community. I love to kill things and take their stuff.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
As the world changes around D&D, I feel any hypothetical "new" edition of the game is going to end up far more radically different than 5e's "evergreen" mentality wants. I do not see how "race" and "alignment" survive as concepts in a 6e. I am increasingly feeling even the classic ability scores and many (if not all) classes will not survive.
Much as I would love to see that come to pass, I don’t think WotC is that eager for a sacred barbecue so soon.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I don't think the fact that I used the opportunity to make some fun of game designers who spend more time complaining about D&D on Twitter than actually, you know, making games, doesn't make it hard to understand my actual opinion on the issue.
This thread is filling up with bad faith arguments. Intentionally fighting with strawmen is just noise, not signal.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I see fiends and celestials as having 2 masters. Their alignment and their god. Some lack the latter and serve only the alignment. Whether they can disobey a master or comprehend the opposite alignment is up the the worldbuilder's choice. I prefer them being unable. Makes them more weird. Like a devil cannot comprehend selfless charity.
Outsiders should definitely be alien. Even if they occasionally appear to behave like a mortal, that's more coincidence -- or willful deception -- than anything.

It's also, it should be noted, how most world religions treated them historically. Angels were terrifying through at least the Middle Ages.

I will let Wotc do all the acrobatic checks they want to ensure their morality and good citizen status.

but I will continue to make voice using foreign culture to have fun.
i will also build world that have tyrant of every race I want,
some evil orc, some free will orc,
some lawful good dwarf, some free will dwarf.
I will also use reference to slavery, genocide, slaughter, war, crime, madness, corruption and redemption.

just hope I will continue to do that freely and don’t fear to loose my job or go to jail for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads