D&D 5E WotC's Stats for Zaknafein Do'Udern

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
I understand the array of stats for Zaknafein, but I don't understand the values. There is no need to blow up the abilities to such puffery. I get having a high intelligence, Zaknafein was also the strategist for House defense, after all. I agree with @Seramus, use -4 on all the stats and he is still a badass 16th level Battlemaster. You have to retrofit the double longsword style he used in Homeland to fit 5E rules. Give him the ability to make a longsword a finesse weapon or accept that it doesn't fit and switch him to rapiers or scimitars. Zak's ability was in the versatility of his tactics and precision, which are reflected in him being level 16.
I mean if you want him to have jacked stats, give them those stats when he is the Zin'carla and juiced up on concentrated Lolth spite.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Is the problem just that he's a "good guy"? Because nobody ever complains about bad guys (who are meant to be defeated) having high stats.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I guess I understand why they stat these NPC characters but if it were up to me I never would unless they appear in an adventure as a possible opponent and even then I'd use the rules for building NPCs/Monsters rather than the rules for making a PC.

But in general? Like a mention in a setting book or something? I'd just describe personality, history, what is important about them, what their accomplishments are, and what they are good at and maybe a CR rating. Maybe. And then let the DM stat them out as appropriate for their game and use for the character.

"Zaknafein is one of the world's best warriors with longswords and is said he reveled in and excelled at killing priestess of Lolth" - and then I decide how that plays out.

Remove ads