D&D 5E would you let a PC learn a non spell magic power?

Some new monsters replace action attack spells with magic abilities that are close to (and in some case exact dup) of spells. If you have a monster/npc with a firey blast that duplicates fireball but doesn't count as a spell, and a player makes friends with them, can they learn firey blast?

if so would the character have to be a caster?

Can my 9th level fighter make friends and spend downtime learning Fiery blast ?

in some cases it seams like it would just be a boon like a magic item (maybe use an attunement slot maybe not) but if so and if not WHY?

side question: what would you think if someday there was a sorcerer (or other name but sorcerer like) class that just did this as there class thing... semi duplicate spells but not count as spells?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Some new monsters replace action attack spells with magic abilities that are close to (and in some case exact dup) of spells. If you have a monster/npc with a firey blast that duplicates fireball but doesn't count as a spell, and a player makes friends with them, can they learn firey blast?

in some cases it seams like it would just be a boon like a magic item (maybe use an attunement slot maybe not) but if so and if not WHY?

side question: what would you think if someday there was a sorcerer (or other name but sorcerer like) class that just did this as there class thing... semi duplicate spells but not count as spells?
No I would not allow it. Monsters are built differently and the new set-up is intended to allow DMs to run them at their proper CR and perhaps to avoid some things being counterspelled. The changes are not for PCs.

That said, a wish granted by a genie or some other similar in-fiction circumstance might allow something along those lines.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
This gets into the spells-that-are-not-spells debate. For instance, having a Fighter-class mighty leaps and bounds feature which allows you triple your jump distances for 1 minute, usable once per long rest. It is really just the jump spell mechanically, but requires no component, can't be countered, etc.

Frankly, it just depends on the power level you want your game to have and how open you want such things to be. Personally, not my cup of tea, but I know it would appeal to many groups so YMMV.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Sure. I already have a variety of home brew / third-party stuff in my current campaign. So long as it doesn't detract from the style of game the group wants to play, I would consider it.

Learn from an NPC? No, never.

But PCs already have the ability to learn powers/abilities through classes that are often spell-like or even mimic spells while not being spells. So they can learn those.

And as mentioned, Wish can always change any of that.

HammerMan

Legend
Yes not an issue if it fits the story. No big deal I would let them kill one and take a wand of fireballs so instead they befriend and learn… I would most likely make it a daily though
Nope
Sounds like fun
I already think sorcere fluff fits this

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases