Would you play a TTRPG that used Meters instead of Feet?

Would you play a TTRPG that uses Meters instead of Feet for measurement and distance?

• Yes, and I am from the USA

Votes: 70 46.7%
  • Yes, and I am from outside of the USA

Votes: 69 46.0%
  • No, and I am from the USA

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • No, and I am from outside of the USA

Votes: 3 2.0%

Slit518

Adventurer
Given that background and that youre not familiar with Traveller (which is a long established and influential sci-fi system) I am wondering why you are considering metric, is it purely academic?
A bit Academic mixed with Mechanical.

I was just thinking of the difference in reach for example from a Dagger, to a Longsword, to a Greatsword for example.

I would say on average the tip of a peck to the end of a knife is about 1 meter.

A Longsword wouldn't quite give you a 2 meter reach, but it may be on the cusp.

A Greatsword I am sure you could swing at a target 2 meters away.

I'm not a weapons expert though.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
In fact you don’t even have to ‘work’ in the measurement. The game isn’t going to make you convert them as you go. It’s just a unit of 1. Call them giraffes or bizzleberries or something. You can move 10 feet. You can move 10 metres. You can move 10 bizzleberries. As long as you know it’s 10, the word after it is irrelevant.

I can move 30 bizzleberries and my bow has a range of 120 bizzleberries. Those squares are 1 bizzleberry each. Or 5 bizzleberries. Or whatever scale the map uses.
Bizzleberries are no more useful than meters if I'm trying to visualize something; I'd still be converting it to feet, either way.

Here in Canada we've supposedly been metric for decades; and while I use metric for some things in life, distance ain't one of them. Which means, were an RPG* released that did all its distances in metric I'd be constantly converting, and that would annoy me real fast.

* - that said, a sci-fi RPG using metric makes it sound more modern and space-y, so I'd just deal with it there. But not in a fantasy RPG; there using the imperial system provides a better sense of time and place, and for the same reason I don't much like decimal coinage systems there either.

Bizzleberries are no more useful than meters if I'm trying to visualize something; I'd still be converting it to feet, either way.
This is what the rest of us non americans have to do with imperial measurements. I had to get a feel for 5 feet because of D&D. And if I see a cooking recipe in imperial I just go and find another. Wtf is a "fluid ounce" anyway? I'm not cooking with a calculator.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Why is Fantasy setting Imperial system
and
Modern/SciFi setting Metric system?

A quick google search seems to show me that Metric is older than Imperial.
1795 vs 1824.

The Assize of Weights and Measures dates to the 13th century under Henry 3, it established the ounce, pound, gallon, bushel and quart. The Statute of Ells and Perches established the barleycorn, inch, foot, yard, ell and perch. Elizabeth I defined the English Mile. (Barleycorn is 1/3 of an inch and used for shoe sizes, the Ell is 2 cubits = 45inches and was used for cloth, it survives in the word Elbow)

The 1824 Act was an update of the older statutes

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
The Assize of Weights and Measures dates to the 13th century under Henry 3, it established the ounce, pound, gallon, bushel and quart. The Statute of Ells and Perches established the barleycorn, inch, foot, yard and perch. Elizabeth I defined the English Mile. (Barleycorn is 1/3 of an inch and used for shoe sizes)

The 1824 Act was an update of the older statutes
After I kill Hitler, this will be my second stop with my time machine.

TheSword

Legend
This is what the rest of us non americans have to do with imperial measurements. I had to get a feel for 5 feet because of D&D. And if I see a cooking recipe in imperial I just go and find another. Wtf is a "fluid ounce" anyway? I'm not cooking with a calculator.
When some one says how tall they are, does they say 6’ or 182 cm?

Remove ads