Would you play a TTRPG that used Meters instead of Feet?

Would you play a TTRPG that uses Meters instead of Feet for measurement and distance?

• Yes, and I am from the USA

Votes: 70 46.7%
  • Yes, and I am from outside of the USA

Votes: 69 46.0%
  • No, and I am from the USA

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • No, and I am from outside of the USA

Votes: 3 2.0%

DrunkonDuty

he/him
Yeah, I'm pretty sure "K's" is just Australian. Maybe also NZ?

Years ago I would sometimes hear people say "klicks" but that seems to have dropped out of use.

I'm from Canada, but I'm used to whatever strange mix we use here.

The experience is not the same for every Canadian (big country), but in my thick of the woods...

But more important than all this talk of measurements in giraffes is the bit I've bolded in the above quote.

@TheAlkaizer, is that a typo or a Canadianism? Cos I've always heard "my neck of the woods."

TheAlkaizer

Game Designer
is that a typo or a Canadianism? Cos I've always heard "my neck of the woods."
Being from eastern Canada my mother tongue is french. But I work mostly in english and consume my media in english. The two languages are severely tangled in my brain. It's probably a mix between the usual and a free translation of a french Canadian expression.

I can imagine that I might refuse to use a system based on the metric measurements, so I voted no. But it would have to be pretty obtrusive, and there would have to be very comparable games equally available.

Basically I think the metric system is a stupid system based on fetishizing ease of conversion between units at the expense of having units that actually organically make sense for things humans do. It came out of an Enlightenment era belief in eliminating doing things based on custom and tradition in favor of doing them based on Reason (which I'll capitalize, in the style of the time), and has never shed the basic arrogance wrapped up in that way of thinking. It is not a system built to human scale and can't describe anything without a cumbersome amount of syllables. It was imposed on the world by a condescending intelligentsia, and it's fundamental hubris is not challenged enough. It an extremely useful system (and sometimes vastly superior) in an abstract academic context, but as applied to the real world, units based around what is customarily convenient based on the natural world, biomechanics, grouping objects for transport, or other concerns of commerce or life in general are often less cumbersome than units which exist only because of a x10 relationship to some other unit. All systems of measurement are mostly stupid and arbitrary, where the metric system gets on my nerves is that because it's arbitrary units are derived from other arbitrary units based on Reason it's proponents think it's intrinisically less stupid when, in many contexts, it is actually slightly stupider. And that sort of arrogance I can't abide.

However if I were to reject an RPG based on usage of the metric system, it would probably not be because of my hostility to the system, but because it either used it extensively in a way that was aesthetically really obtrusive to the setting of the game, or just demanded too much visualization in metric from my not very metric accustomed brain. Still these would just be points against a game for me, not dealbreakers in their own right.

aramis erak

Legend
I originally learned si, and then switched to fractional (US Customary, Imperial is another system) and later in life have used both at work, even others such as the British Whitworth. I prefer metric in play, though when playing I will usually modify it so that I also say the US measurement.
US and Imperial are so close... until you get to volumes of liquids and tonnages....
And both are based upon the French Avoirdupois measures, but only the pound and grain being kept exact...

the problem with humanocentric measures are that different populations have different median, mode, and mean sizes, and that the standards were usually set to the measures of the Royal. So the Shaku - the Japanese "foot" is 30.303... cm, while the US foot is 30.48 cm, the French traditional Pied 32.66cm....

Last edited:

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
In feudal Japan, farmers used an unofficial unit of distance measurement that every farmer understood. Due to metal scarcity, and the control of metals by the authorities, farmers were forced to weave wicker horseshoes, and a set of four such shoes lasted about 2.5 miles before they fell apart. So farmers carried large bags of woven shoes, which they spend all their non-farm time weaving. So a farmer could tell another farmer on the other side of the country, I live 139 shoe changes from here - and they'd know how far and roughly where that is.

straw-shoes.jpg

Peter BOSCO'S

Adventurer
In theory, yes. However 5 feet becomes 1.5m, which isn't that clean. You could change it to 1m, but that seems like a ridiculous small space for combatants to occupy, and increasing it to 2m conversely feels too big.

Realistically, a combatant could occupy a 1m square, but then he'd be able to strike over adjacent squares to hit things more than 1m away. (A typical one-handed sword can easily be 1m in length, even if you don't account for arm length)
Traveller has been using 1.5 meter squares on deckplans for over 45 years, and it has worked fine from them, but they make it easier by not requiring a grid (for most versions). The referee just counts the squares and (depending on which of the many versions of Traveller you are using) say something like "The Zhodani is four squares away from you, which is 6 meters, so that is out of range for your Cutlass, standard range for your Gauss pistol, or short range if you switch to your Gauss rifle."

aramis erak

Legend
Yes, its a Sci-fi RPG out of U.K. that began back in '77 or so.
Wrong. Marc's in Illinois, and was in the US Army...

GDW is the source, in '77. Games Workshop produced cpies for the UK, but the game is thoroughly written by Americans.

Other contributors to Classic Traveller include: Frank Chadwick, Loren Wiseman (RIP), Tim Brown, The Kieth Brothers (J Andrew and William H), Jordan Weissman, Guy McLimore, Mort Weissman, and L. Ross Babcock III - these being the GDW, Gamelords, and FASA staff, are all from the US.

The first edition used metric for personal scale, but the ship combat was in US Traditional Measure.

The 1981 revised edition switched to pure metric.

The 1987 MegaTraveller was by DGP and products released by both GDW and DGP; GW was no longer licensed by that point.
Joe and Gary are US as well.

So is Roger Sanger, who bought DGP... not realizing that all of DGP's material required Marc's sign-off to use... then being obstinate in overvaluing his acquired IP...

T:TNE added more GDW staff.

The first edition written in the UK was the Mongoose 2008 release.

Remove ads