• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

would you play your least fav edition if asked by friends

Mallus

Legend
People matter more to me than system or edition, so yes, absolutely. Heck, next month I'm going to start running my least favorite system (again) because friends asked me to.

I'm solidly in the "System Matters, But Not That Much" camp. The informal "rules" that exist between the people playing are far more important, and interesting than the formal rules used.

Obryn

Hero
For a one shot or something? Heck yeah, I'd even play Pathfinder or something else I think is awful.

For a long-term campaign? Depends on the DM and how much fun we're having, but I'd lean towards no and do something else with them. Unless that's somehow the only time I'd ever get to see them, no gaming is preferable to bad gaming. (I mean, if that's the rule, "I never get to see these friends unless we're playing a game I don't like," then the decision changes, but that's not how I read it.)

Running something like PF/3.5? No way, been there, done that, never going back. I have a family and don't have too much free time, so spending it prepping in a system I think is terrible is out of the question, especially when there are so many better games out there that we could all enjoy, whose well hasn't been nearly as poisoned as D&D's. Fate, Savage Worlds, Dungeon World, WFRP, etc. It's much easier to find consensus on those, so why not do that?

Or board games, for that matter; we just got into Conquest of Nerath while one of the players has been sick, and it's spectacular.

thewok

First Post
I'm currently in a Pathfinder game, so yes, I would. ;)

"Least favorite," though, for me, doesn't mean I really dislike it. Just, given my preferences, it's not the one I'd play. Pathfinder's made some great strides in fixing some of the problems I have with 3.X, but some of them remain. Still, I'm hanging out with friends and RPing, so it's all good.

Henry

Autoexreginated
ok... so here is my new pitch, 3.5 D&D game the only books allowed are PHB1, Book of vile darkness and book of erotic fantasy...

my god that would either be the game that never starts or THE MOST FUNNY CAMPAIGN EVER!!!! :devil:

Already planning my BDSM Sorcerer with spiky hair, pleasure golem henchman, and Nipple Clamps of Exquisite Pain... :lol: Think I'll call him "Hennet..."

Jeremy E Grenemyer

Feisty
Supporter
Would you go to play the game you dislike? what if it was the only game you could go to, so it is literally that or nothing tomorrow?
You bet I would.

A chance to hang out with friends and get out of the house is always a good thing; collectively it's way more important than whether some game offends me or not.

The fact that it's the only option available makes the decision that much easier.

jbear

First Post
Absolutely. I love RPGs. The rules are not a defining factor factor for me. Sure, like everyone, I have my own playstyle and rules preferences, but when it boils down to it, for me the defining factor is the people who I play with and the fun had.

So if it was a friend that I knew I would enjoy spending that time with, enjoying being part of a fantasy adventure with where you roll dice, kill monsters, take their loot and kick in a few doors ... well, hey, count me in.

(I play in a game of pbp using the GURPS rules and still have absolutely NO idea what the rules actually are, but I seem to manage well enough, and enjoy myself. Rules ...? Rules schmules!)

Incenjucar

Legend
I wouldn't, but I live in a major geek-filled city, so not only do my friends have ample options for players of all stripes, but I could go out dancing or to a burlesque instead, and life is too short to waste on a mediocre experience. If we're talking about a complete unknown, like a board game I've never tried, sure, I like new experiences even if they turn out poorly, but I can't be bothered to endure a known less-fun version of even a fun experience when I could be having a more-fun time elsewhere.

The anniversary has absolutely zero effect on the decision. It's a tool for dynamic group storytelling for me, not a friend made of paper dice.

pemerton

Legend
Would I hang out with my gaming friends to play a one-shot? Absolutely - I did that last year when we were inquorate for D&D and so I ran a MHRP one-shot instead.

Would I hang out with my gaming friends to play a one-shot in a system I don't like? Probably. I used to do that all the time back when I was a student with pretty unlimited free time. Time is scarcer now, but as a one-shot the threat from the system would have to be pretty big!

I'd probably run a system I don't like as well, if people wanted me to - I wouldn't want to run 3E much above 5th level, but I guess I'd run AD&D or B/X if everyone wanted to play a one-shot.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads