• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Wow, 5.5e characters are STRONG!

When I hear people say 5e is too complicated, I'm glad for them that they missed 3e. Back in 3e, you had to have a team of accountants just to roll initiative.
3e is a perfect demonstration of why i'm always so hesitant to get into crpgs - you never know what builds will end up completely sucking halfway through unless you either let the game break your ribs a few times or you delve into a guide made by people who no longer have a ribcage.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
3e is a perfect demonstration of why i'm always so hesitant to get into crpgs - you never know what builds will end up completely sucking halfway through unless you either let the game break your ribs a few times or you delve into a guide made by people who no longer have a ribcage.
Isn't the same true in most TTRPG's?

Isn't the same true in most TTRPG's?
i mean, even with the imbalances present in 5e, it's not easy to make a character that just straight up stops working like a 3e character can. in pf2e i think it might genuinely be harder to make even an underpowered character then it is to make one significantly above baseline. i don't know about other TTRPGs.

Do you really want to compare a 1E fighter and its abilities at level 1-20 vs the amount of options a 5E Fighter gets?

Just in case it wasn't abundantly clear yet, literally nothing you typed is true.
Do you even know what I'm talking about? Do you even know what you're talking about? This post seriously reads like you have no idea what your last post was saying. I never said that 5E fighters didn't have more going on, I said they aren't complicated.

"Used to be I could just say I'm a human fighter," which you still freaking can. The only difference now is that you have a limited heal and the ability to do two actions at once. And at higher levels, you barely get anything. More attacks? Indominable? Are you seriously calling the game too complicated because of Indominable?

Before you mention subclasses, that's a pretty mid argument to bring up. The subclasses for the Fighter are designed to be on a scale from super simple to mildly engaging. Not much here is more overbearing then kits from 2E. Like, if you just want a "human fighter," the champion essentially gets no active abilities and has almost nothing to track.

And you want to sit here talking about how much more complicated fighters are now...just an actually insane position to take.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads