Wow, check out this rules FAQ on the WotC boards.

Ristamar

Adventurer
Anubis said:
You bring up a good point, Caliban. Done that way, it would still work. I see many people putting it into the extra round, however, which is why I began ranting about this. Although it would work either way, I wonder which way is best?

Casting Haste on yourself would be much riskier if you the way I have proposed, although it is more useful your way.

At least you have shown a valid way of doing it with an extra action in the first round, although I will further research the matter to think of the best way, be it that or another way.

Caliban is correct. This issue was debated to death on the (EN)boards and summarily clarified long ago.

Gizzard

First Post
Back to whether creating Undead is Evil or not; I always thought that to animate the Undead you have to channel power from the Negative Material Plane. So, it doesnt matter how dire your circumstances are, you just never want to have anything to do with the Negative Material Plane if you are good aligned. Its like making a deal with a Demon to "save" your temple from mauraders -- it might be the only way to "save" yourself, but you know the cost will be too high to pay. (Alternatively, if your WIS is too low, you might not realize the cost of your actions. But you will still have to pay for them. :) )

Shadeus

First Post
Re: Re: And another...

SpikeyFreak said:
Read sneak attack again.

There are 2 ways to get sneak attack. Opponent is denied his dex bonus OR you are flanking him.

A rogue who wins initiative may sneak attack anyone within 30 feet with ranged weapons beacuse his opponent will be flat footed. (Note that this isn't the only way to get sneak attacks with ranged weapons, just the easiest.)

--Rouge Spikey

I think Spider was just pointing out that you can't flank with a ranged weapon. You can only get a sneak attack if they are flatfooted or denied their Dex bonus.

You are right Spikey, if you are using a melee weapon. But the question in the FAQ specifically pertained to ranged weapons.

dcollins

Explorer
Re: Gah, a glaring error!

Spider said:
First off, I'm pretty sure it's supposed to say, "the crafter must meet the MINIMUM level prerequisite".
And secondly, even that's wrong.
From our own illustrious ENWorld errata center:

Unfortunately, that statement is totally in contradiction with the core rules. The ENWorld "errata page" is not official, and although Reynolds writes that to change the rule we must "salvage that quoted text by changing the last sentence", such a change has never been made in any official Errata, Rules FAQ, or updated printing of the rulebooks.

You can read more analysis of this issue here, if you'd care to: www.superdan.net/dndfaq2.html

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Shadeus said:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by SpikeyFreak
Read sneak attack again.

There are 2 ways to get sneak attack. Opponent is denied his dex bonus OR you are flanking him.

A rogue who wins initiative may sneak attack anyone within 30 feet with ranged weapons beacuse his opponent will be flat footed. (Note that this isn't the only way to get sneak attacks with ranged weapons, just the easiest.)

--Rouge Spikey
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think Spider was just pointing out that you can't flank with a ranged weapon. You can only get a sneak attack if they are flatfooted or denied their Dex bonus.

You are right Spikey, if you are using a melee weapon. But the question in the FAQ specifically pertained to ranged weapons.

Spikey: "A rogue who wins initiative may sneak attack everyone within 30 feet with a ranged weapon..."

Shadeus: "You are right Spikey, if you are using a melee weapon. But the question in the FAQ specifically pertained to ranged weapons."

Is anyone else confused?

Spatula

Explorer
Re: Re: Re: And another...

Shadeus said:
I think Spider was just pointing out that you can't flank with a ranged weapon.

The Question/Answer in the FAQ that Spider said was incorrect does not mention flanking.

EDIT: ooops, I guess it does! Nevermind.

Last edited:

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Re: Re: Re: Re: And another...

Spatula said:

The Question/Answer in the FAQ that Spider said was incorrect does not mention flanking.

Yes it does.

Q: Can a Rogue sneak attack with a ranged weapon?
A: Yes. As long as their target is denied their Dex bonus to AC or are flanked, then the Rogue can use their Sneak Attack ability (and the Rogue must be within 30 feet of their target).

Tetsubo

First Post
I have always considered animating the dead a morally neutral act. It's what you do with that animated corpse that defines if you are Evil or Good.

I've had PC's use zombies to work walking wheels and pump community water. The party mage had a pair of high grade zombies as guards. They were gifts from his necromancer girlfriend.

I've never understood why raising the dead, in a world flooded with magic, was considered Evil. Especially if the corpse was a nasty individual in life. It makes a great way for an executed criminal to "pay" back his (her) society.

If you kill a person so that you can raise them, that's Evil. But just raising a generic corpse? That has no Evil/Good content in my campaigns.

The 2E campaign setting of Jakandor dealt with this.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Q: Can a Rogue sneak attack with a ranged weapon?
A: Yes. As long as their target is denied their Dex bonus to AC or are flanked, then the Rogue can use their Sneak Attack ability (and the Rogue must be within 30 feet of their target).

The FAQ is right. The Sage answers the question (Yes) then provides the entire rule regarding when a rogue gets his sneak attack. He isn't trying to say that a rogue can sneak attack a foe flanked by other people using a ranged weapon.

As for Animate Undead I'm with Gizzard:
Back to whether creating Undead is Evil or not; I always thought that to animate the Undead you have to channel power from the Negative Material Plane. So, it doesnt matter how dire your circumstances are, you just never want to have anything to do with the Negative Material Plane if you are good aligned. Its like making a deal with a Demon to "save" your temple from mauraders -- it might be the only way to "save" yourself, but you know the cost will be too high to pay. (Alternatively, if your WIS is too low, you might not realize the cost of your actions. But you will still have to pay for them. )

So animating skeletons to pump the communal well would be evil IMO. Like making a pact with the devil to have him do your grocery shopping.

Crothian

First Post
I think they are saying animating dead is evil is because they assume it's using negative energy like from inflict spells. Also, it depends on how you view a corpse after the poerson has died. Many religions frown upon the disturbing of corpses. Many cultures think it's bad luck. Think about it. Would you want someone animating your dead parents or another loved one? I wouldn't, no matter what the reason.

Remove ads