Wow... Encounters are quickly made.

ShadowyFigure

First Post
Me and my freind are working on a 4e adventure right now. I have to say, were loving encounter making.

It took us all of five seconds to piece together the first encounter using the xp system, we thought about what did we want found something as close as possible added the xp totals tada.

I think adventures are now so much easier and funner to make.

Bah! I spent 4 hours designing an encounter for my 3.5 game (a green dragon, a lizard man dragon shsman and his minions) just the other night. And I loved every minute of it! :ranged: :)

ShadowyFigure

First Post
yes, consider this, Its still just as fun but quicker and with less headaches... not just that but in three hours you can get way more time cutting prep time. I think this is better...

Fifth Element said:
Bah! I spent 4 hours designing an encounter for my 3.5 game (a green dragon, a lizard man dragon shsman and his minions) just the other night. And I loved every minute of it! :ranged: :)
That's great if you have 4 hours to spare. Not everyone does.

Despite my frustration with having a large and nearly useless library of v3.5 books (with respect to 4e), some of which were purchased only 6 months ago, the faster prep time in 4e is the core reason for me to switch.

Personally, I'm still on the fence at this point. I've been working on compiling a lot of v3.5 material (e.g. - my own Feats Compendium and Alternative Class Abilities Compendium), but 4e's streamlined presentation and implementation is good enough that I might just say "Goodbye v3.5. It was fun while it lasted."

Sammael

Adventurer
Guys, it was very easy to prep encounters in 3.5 if you used out-of-the-box Monster Manual creatures. Which is what people are doing now for 4E. Wait until you start statting NPCs and then tell me how easy it is.

Suudo

First Post
Sammael said:
Guys, it was very easy to prep encounters in 3.5 if you used out-of-the-box Monster Manual creatures. Which is what people are doing now for 4E. Wait until you start statting NPCs and then tell me how easy it is.

Since character creation has gotten a face lift, and you're free to say, "This fellow has this trait. Why? Just because." for NPCs - I don't think it'll be a problem even then.

hong

WotC's bitch
4E seems to be producing a shift in the zeitgeist from monster/NPC design being the preferred expression of gearhead creativity, to encounter design. Interesting.

davethegame

Explorer
Sammael said:

I'm working on that right now for my 3.5 finale game this Sunday. But even using mostly out-of-the-box MM creatures, I still have to cross-reference spells, feats, and abilities that are elsewhere. Thus my prep work is consisting of having to copy and paste spells into one document for each monster, and calculate some DCs, and so forth. From what I've seen in the monster previews, all I need to run monsters in 4e is a single page.

Remove ads