X-COM (updated M-W-F)

Lazybones

Adventurer
Session 23 (September 29, 2008)
Chapter 101

“What?” Vasily said.

Moving swiftly, James unhooked his pack and laid it next to him. He dragged out a long black case, which opened to reveal several dozen tools and other components compactly arranged in individual sleeves. “I need Mary,” he said to Vasily, again without looking up as he quickly started drawing out items from the kit and setting them up where he could get to them quickly.

Vasily hesitated, and James did look up then, fixing him with a hard look. “I have three to five minutes before permanent brain damage sets in,” he told the Russian. “Bring Mary here, now!”

Vasily nodded and complied, hurrying over to where the Indian doctor was just getting back to her feet, still looking dazed. He grabbed her and pulled her over to where James was cutting away Catalina’s torso armor, revealing the full extent of her bloody wound.

“Cat, I’m sorry! Cat!” Jane cried. She started toward the fallen woman, but Hadrian grabbed her before she could get in the way of James and Mary.

“The jugular vein and right common carotid artery have been perforated, but are still mostly intact,” James said to Mary, who looked down at Catalina in horror. “I need you to seal the cuts… Doctor Ranma!”

She looked at him in horror. “You cannot expect me to do a vascular repair here, now!”

“If we don’t seal those vessels, nothing else we do will matter,” James told her. “I need to clear access to the lungs so we can attempt resuscitation. You can do this, Mary. You have to do this.”

Mary started, and took the tools that James offered. “Yes. Yes,” she said, going to work on the bloody mess of a wound.

James worked from the other side, moving quickly. The two of them spoke quietly as they worked, their hands darting back and forth in the narrow space. All Vasily, Jane, and Hadrian could do was watch as they fought against the ticking seconds, while Catalina’s brain rapidly starved from oxygen deprivation. Finally James drew back enough for them to see the chaotic jumble of tubes and wires jutting from Catalina’s neck. “As soon as I jolt the heart, get ready to inject that medikit directly into the artery,” he told Mary.

“Ready,” she said.

“Clear,” James said, activating the portable defibrillator. Catalina jolted slightly, but didn’t stir. “Again,” he said, giving her another jolt. “I’ve got a pulse.”

“Injecting,” Mary returned. “Some leakage,” she reported. James tensed, but after a second she added, “Repairs are holding.”

“Is she going to…” Vasily asked.

James looked down at the ruins of the woman. Her chest rose and fell as a tiny portable device the size of a paperback book pumped air into her lungs through the tubes that James had installed. “We need to get her back to HQX,” he said. “Ideally she shouldn’t even be moved, but…”

“Do the best you can, doctor,” Vasily told him. He looked at Hadrian, who nodded. “Vasily, you’re not—” James began.

“We still have job to do,” he interrupted. “If this ship not stopped, millions more die. You get her ready. Jane, stay with doctors.”

“I… no, you’ll need me.”

“And if other alien come up from below?”

“We’ve got guns,” James said, without looking up. “And that ethereal, or whatever the hell it is, can apparently hit us wherever we are.”

Vasily paused. “Two of us against whatever’s upstairs isn’t good odds,” Hadrian pointed out.

“I can do this,” Jane said quietly. “I need to do this.”

Vasily nodded. “Come on,” he said. He gestured to Hadrian, who led them toward the lift he’d spotted earlier.

“See if you can find something to use as a stretcher,” James told Mary, as the other three Alphas headed up the next level of the alien ship.

With Vasily and Jane covering, Hadrian stepped into the lift. The bright glow surrounded him, and the alien antigravity technology pushed him up toward the iris in the ceiling, which opened automatically to allow him passage to the upper level. As he passed through, he felt something hard kick him in the back, and felt a gout of hot gas sear his neck through the layered armor protecting him. He lunged out of the lift field, which grew progressively weaker just above the level transition, and spun to see a sectoid there, hefting a plasma rifle. The alien shot again, but Hadrian had kept moving, and the shot narrowly cleared him as he triggered his own weapon, firing a blast that hit the sectoid in the center of its torso. The alien toppled over onto its back, killed instantly by the plasma burst.

Vasily came up next, followed by Jane. Hadrian checked the body, and swiped the power cell from its gun, adding it to the collection of full and partially-full cells he carried in the pouches dangling from his armor. He then moved to join Vasily, who’d crossed to the far side of the room, where a wide, arched opening led into another room beyond.

That chamber was almost identical to the one they’d just left, except that instead of a lift it was dominated by odd translucent cylinders that rose from the floor to the ceiling around its perimeter. The cylinders were filled with fluid through which small rising bubbles could be seen, but their purpose was a mystery to the three humans. Oval panels set into the walls flickered with shifting patterns of colored light, adding to the unreality of the scene.

“Come on,” Vasily urged, leading them to a door visible on the far side of the room. It hissed open as they approached, but only to reveal several sectoids armed with vibroblades. The creatures hissed and charged, even as the Alphas opened fire.

Vasily cursed as he shot too quickly, and his plasma bolt streaked past the head of his target to explode against the frame of the door. The alien lunged at him, and he reflexively brought his weapon up to block. There was a flare of gas and a sick crunch as the alien sword cut into the bulky assembly of the cannon. Vasily twisted and dragged the sectoid off-balance, then smashed the heavy end of the cannon into its face. The sectoid fell onto its back, thrashing as wisps of gray smoke trailed from the cracks in its shattered faceplate.

The other sectoid didn’t even get close enough to attack, as Hadrian and Jane cut it down with a pair of direct hits. Vasily turned back to the doorway, which opened onto a long corridor reinforced with curving metallic buttresses. There was a sectoid standing there, maybe five meters beyond the door.

For a moment, he just stared at the creature. It was carrying a weapon almost as large as it was, a cumbersome device with a ridiculously broad barrel atop a curved, sinuous grip. The weapon must have been lighter than it looked, for the sectoid held it on its shoulder without apparent difficulty. The dark opening that faced Vasily looked like a cave mouth as the alien pointed it at him.

That sight jolted Vasily like a dash of cold water, and he reached behind his back to grab his pistol. At the same time, he shouted a warning at his companions, knowing that he was too late. Time seemed to slow as an oblong white missile, shaped almost like an American football, shot from the alien launcher and streaked toward Vasily. To his amazement, it looked like the bullet steered toward him, arching in its flight as it streaked through the doorway. Vasily jerked back, and the missile passed literally inches in front of his face, leaving behind a faint odor of burned meat. His head turned to follow its path, and saw it continue to turn as it passed through the arch on the far side of the room, narrowly missing one of the fluid cylinders. It passed out of view as it was heading toward the wall in the lift room, the turning radius of the guided missile obviously insufficient to allow for an easy reversal of its course.

Some instinct he couldn’t fathom had him close his eyes, a split second before everything exploded in a raging supernova of searing destruction.

Lazybones

Adventurer
Chapter 102

Pain. It greeted him warmly, searing everywhere. He tasted blood, and smoke, and could feel the heat even before he heard the sound of the fires, the angry crackle all too familiar from demolitions missions in the past.

He opened his eyes, but couldn’t see more than smoke. He was lying on his back, he realized, the awareness of his body coming belatedly through the haze of pain. He reached up with difficulty, the joints of his armor resisting the effort, and pulled off his helmet. His ears were ringing, drowning out everything but the busy noises of the fires all around him.

“Gyah!” he exclaimed, as he tried to fight his way up. The best he managed was to prop himself up on the one arm that seemed a little easier to move than the other. He was in the corridor outside of the room with the tubes, or at least he thought he was; looking back through the doorway, all he could see was fire and rubble. He glanced back the other way, and saw the sectoid with the launcher lying on its back, a jagged piece of metal the size of a banana protruding from the middle of its face.

Coughing, fighting through the pain that accompanied every movement, Vasily was able to pull himself up to his knees. The armor whirred and clicked but obeyed his commands, for the most part. He crawled forward to the doorway, and looked into the room beyond. The place was wrecked, that was pretty damned obvious. He saw Hadrian propped up against the inside threshold of the doorway. The Marine was conscious, but Vasily saw at once that his right arm was stuck at an unnatural angle, the heavy armor cracked and twisted.

“Broken,” he said. “What happened?”

“We got hit by…” he began, then realized he had no idea what the alien weapon had been. “Jane?”

Hadrian jerked his head, and Vasily saw Jane lying along the opposite side of the room. Mary was there, tending to her, intent on her work. Vasily dug into the medical satchel each of them carried for emergencies, in case one of the doctors couldn’t make it to them in the press of battle. He was relieved to find the single medikit there intact, and after fumbling a bit with his gloves he was able to stab it through one of the holes in his armor.

“Used mine already,” Hadrian said.

“We’ll see if Mary has another for you,” Vasily said. He tried to stand, and was a little surprised to find that he could. He helped Hadrian to his feet, the Marine grunting in obvious pain as the motion jolted his broken arm. Then he walked over to Mary and Jane.

“Is she all right?” he asked.

“She’s breathing,” Mary said. “I injected her with a medikit; it should help. You shouldn’t be moving, you probably have internal injuries. We felt the blast below; it shook the whole ship, tore a hole ten feet across in the floor, but the lift still works. Is Hadrian…”

“Broken arm.”

“Watch her for a moment while I…”

As she got to her feet, Vasily interrupted her. “Give me your plasma pistol.”

“What?”

“I lost mine. We still need find bridge.”

“Vasily, you’re in no condition to fight, none of us are—”

“We not finish ship, many more than us die,” he said, turning away, and moving toward the door. Behind him, he heard Jane groaning, but he didn’t look back. Hadrian stayed put just long enough for Mary to inject the contents of a medikit into his shattered arm, then he fell in behind the Russian. By some miracle he’d held onto his plasma rifle, which he carried in his good hand.

“Help Jane, get down to others, get ready to go,” Vasily told Mary.

“Vasily—”

“Go.” He turned and headed back into the corridor, limping slightly. He bent to recover his helmet and replant it onto his head, although it was doubtful what protection it offered in its current condition.

The corridor seemed to bisect the entire level of the ship. They passed a few unremarkable side-chambers, checking only to verify that no aliens were lurking within before they pressed onward. Then they came to a large door that opened onto another big room, one whose purpose was immediately obvious.

“That is one big gun,” Hadrian commented.

The room was shaped like a disk, with massive banks of machinery built into the walls. It looked like the entire chamber was designed to rotate on its axis, like a big turret. The alien cannon filled almost all of the rest of the space, its barrel easily a full meter across and over ten meters long. There was an aperture port built into the ceiling near where the barrel ended, the opening currently closed. For a moment the two men just stared up at the cannon, realizing that they were looking at the weapon that had destroyed three of the world’s leading cities. Then Vasily started forward, Hadrian just behind him.

“No ammunition stores,” Hadrian said. “They must bring the shells, or whatever it shoots, up from a lower level.” He nodded to large mechanism connecting the breech of the gun to the mount in the floor.

Vasily grunted, making his way over to the gun. He looked over the mechanisms for a moment, then opened one of the compartments in his armor and drew out a small package, slightly smaller than a paperback book.

Behind them, the door opened again, and both men spun around, guns at the ready. But instead of aliens, it was just Jane, who confronted them a bit unsteadily. Her armor was blackened with soot and plasma burns, and she too had lost her faceplate, showing a face caked with dried blood and more burns. But her expression was determined, and indicated that she would not be retreating.

Vasily nodded in acknowledgment. “Watch corridor,” he said to her and Hadrian, taking up his device and opening a small panel on its front. He quickly punched in a code, and slid the package into an open port up near the breech of the cannon.

“Better save one of those for the Elerium,” Hadrian suggested, as they quickly made their way back out into the corridor.

“Not risk gun remaining intact if we fail,” Vasily said.

“And if the explosion manages to detonate the ammo?”

“Then mission complete.”

They continued down the connecting passage, which curved around to the left ahead of them. The door to the cannon room closed behind them, but they could feel the heavy thump when the explosives detonated. They passed another pair of smaller doors, but Vasily focused on another set further ahead, a wider set that opened onto the space on the inward edge of the curve. But as he started toward them, he felt a sudden intense sensation of vertigo. The corridor seemed to stretch and elongate until it formed a twisting tube, the doors distorting into a gaping mouth that opened to reveal tongues of bright flame.

“Aaaah!” he yelled, almost falling as his elbow jarred against the wall. The ground bucked under his feet, and he couldn’t quite manage to steady himself. Behind him, Hadrian and Jane were also having trouble. The doors continued to spit fire, and bright flashes were exploding around them. Something kicked him in the leg, and he fell to one knee, his pistol skittering out of his grasp as he tried to steady himself.

“Get… out… of… my… mind!” he yelled, as plasma explosions continued to erupt all around them.

Almost as much as the alien ship destroying all those cities was a defining moment in the campaign itself, looks like this could be a defining mission for the alpha's themselves. And they're really going to need to find a way to hedge out all that mind control.

Richard Rawen

First Post
Yeah, aside from the football missle (wth!?) the only serious problems they've had have been the two brutes ... and the ethereal's mind messings.

Combined firepower and tactics allow them to handle everything thrown their way - even the huge Mutons (why are they called Mutons again? A ton of mutation?). Still enjoying the ride, I hope they can pull through!

The 'football missile' was the most devestating weapon in the game from what I remember. Rarely did soldiers survive, even in the best armor, once you hit the point where the aliens started using them. They were very heavy on the time unit usage but their sheer destructive power was worth it.

Lazybones

Adventurer
Heh, we'll learn more about the Blaster Launcher shortly. It featured strongly in the final part of the campaign. In NWN terms, it fired off a Hellball spell, which was pretty nasty (10d6 each electric, acid, fire, and sonic to everyone within a wide burst).

Just a note that I'm going on vacation next week. I'm bringing my flash drive with me, but I don't know when I'll have access to a computer, so updates may be sporadic. I'll be back by the following Monday.

Chapter 103

Heat rushed through the open visor of Vasily’s helmet, searing his flesh. He raised an arm to protect his face, but felt impacts on his chest and shoulder, and could smell the acrid tang of burning flesh. His flesh.

He closed his eyes; he couldn’t trust them, although the darkness only slightly helped the swirling disorientation he felt. He reached down to his belt, to his right side, where he carried his explosive grenades. His hand closed on one, and he yanked it free, triggering the delay and hurling it blindly ahead. He could hear it pinging off the walls over the sound of the plasma blasts, then there was a loud roar, and alien screams.

He opened his eyes, blinked. The corridor had returned to normal, although streaked with black plasma burns. Several sectoids were down, and as he watched another, tottering, collapsed as a plasma bolt sheared off half of its skull. Jane and Hadrian were both firing, and as Vasily watched the last sectoid still standing withdrew back through the doors.

Without conscious thought Vasily found himself back on his feet, pausing only to recover his dropped pistol before he charged down the corridor. The door refused to open, but with a single shot he destroyed the locking mechanism, and the portals slid open. A sectoid was there, lifted its pistol to shoot at him, but Vasily shot it out of its hands with a lucky snap shot. The alien turned to flee, but was cut down from behind as Jane blasted it.

The alien bridge was crammed full of alien navigational gear, command consoles, and display screens. Vasily saw more movement behind a bank of machinery and didn’t hesitate, arcing another grenade that exploded to another cacophony of fire and alien screams. Hadrian and Jane pushed forward, shooting another alien that staggered out of cover, trails of green alien blood slipping down its chest. There was another shot as Hadrian made sure of a last foe, and then, quiet.

“No Ethereal,” Jane reported. She went over to one of the consoles, where bright indicators flickered and flashed, and started fiddling with the controls.

“No Elerium, either,” Hadrian said.

“See if you can find schematic of ship,” Vasily said. His attention was drawn to a large console toward the front of the room. It was projecting a three-dimensional hologram of the entire planet, hovering over the unit like a ghost. But before he could look at it more closely, he heard Jane exclaim to his left, “Communications console here! I’ve got the signal from the Lightning…”

He joined her just as Ken’s voice came through the console. “Alpha, is that you? Where the hell are you guys?”

“Lightning!” Vasily said. “We in battleship.”

“What the hell! I’ve been trying to reach you for over an hour!”

“We been in here for hour? Well… it big ship.”

“Okay, we’ve got sixteen alien ships headed our way. Like, really fast. I’ve been sending Grace my scans, and she doesn’t think that the nuke the Firestorm-1 is carrying will even scratch that ship. You’ve got to take it out from the inside. You’ve got to find the Elerium power source and set it to blow, ASAP!”

Vasily looked to Jane. “Go get others ready to go,” he told her. Glancing over at Hadrian, who was working at another console, Vasily asked, “Hadrian?”

“Not sure I can make sense of this,” the Marine said.

“Most alien ships, Elerium on ground floor, with engines,” Vasily said. “Let’s go!”

They made their way back to where they’d left James and Catalina. The doctor had a new wound on his left hip, and two more sectoids lay dead on the floor, but Catalina was alive, and stable for the moment. Jane and Mary took up the stretcher they’d rigged for her, and followed James, the doctor limping heavily, back down toward the lower levels of the ship.

Vasily ran behind them, tapping his communicator. “Ken? Ken? Gah, communications still blocked.” As they made their way back to the front of the ship, Vasily stopped Jane. “We need to find engine room. Take others, get in Lightning.”

“We won’t leave you behind.”

“If we not find Elerium, nothing left behind,” Vasily said. “Go!”

He and Hadrian made their way back into the bowels of the ship, navigating a ramp that they had missed before, one that led deeper inside the ship. They had to force another door, but were rewarded with the sleek shape of the alien ship’s massive engines, and at the end of the room, the flickering blue light of its Elerium crystals.

“This is going to blow sky high,” Vasily said, as he took out the last of his charges. “Better get to exit.”

“I’ll cover you,” Hadrian said. Vasily set the charge right on the power regulator for the Elerium array, and set the timer to four minutes. “Go!” he yelled, following the Marine back toward the front of the ship.

As they emerged from the ship, the icy cold hit them like a hammer. Vasily saw the others below, in the shelter of the ridge. He also saw the Lightning zoom by, bright flashes of plasma energy exploding around it. He and Hadrian ran toward the ship while the others came from the side, converging on it as Ken set the vessel down. A dark shape appeared in the sky, but suddenly exploded in a violent flare; Vasily caught a faint glimpse of the Firestorm’s outline before it vanished back into the storm.

The aircraft had barely settled long enough for them to jump inside before Ken took it back up into the sky, climbing at a steep angle. James and Mary held onto Catalina and each other, while the others grabbed onto the seats as best they could; there was no time to strap in. The Lightning bucked and jerked as it took fire, but held together as they were pressed down by the force of the vessel’s acceleration. After a few more seconds the pressure eased enough for them to get into their seats and buckle in, while James and Jane worked together to get Catalina fastened into hers.

They finished just in time, as the aircraft suddenly bucked wildly, as though it had been smacked hard from behind. A massive rumbling shook the ship, a crazy burst of turbulence that finally eased, leaving them all breathing heavily.

Ken’s voice came over the intercom. “Everyone okay? Man, I wish you could see what I’m seeing right now. The aliens are breaking off pursuit… there’s a huge fireball over the alien base… We put the hurt on those bastards!”

There was a collective sigh of quiet relief. “But… what happens next?” Mary asked.

Vasily turned to her. His armor was blasted and broken, his face blackened and burned, oozing blood where the skin had cracked. Somehow the upper half of his right ear had been mostly torn away, and it dangled on a few shreds of flesh. The entire assembly encasing his right arm was bent and ruined, and almost immobile. Dozens of small holes still penetrated his chestplate on and around his right shoulder, and a mixture of soot, blood, grease, and alien gore covered his legs almost up his waist.

“Next?” he said, leaning back in his chair. “Next we do all over again.”

Was the ship was commanded by sectoids, or did the grenade just toast an ethereal and they never saw the body? I know of the many times I played the game, sometimes it was rare the sectoids had psionic abilities and other times they were much more prevalent. Here I figured for sure there'd be an ethereal.

Anyway, awesome mission and equally awesome write up LB.

Lazybones

Adventurer
The sectoid leaders had minor mental powers, while the sectoid commanders, while fragile, were almost as potent as ethereals in that realm.

Don't have a cliffhanger to leave you on, but then again, we just got through a major mission. Some tough missions to come, as well as a significant "incident" at X-COM command. Until then, this post summarizes where we are at present:

Interlude: Aftermath (September 30, 2008)

The alien response was swift and strong, as expected.

Nine alien craft, including two heavy cruisers, descended from orbit toward HQX. With Firestorm-1 damaged, and American airpower still decimated, the initial intercept was weak. Two X-COM interceptors and ten F-35s were driven off, after downing only one of the smaller alien ships.

The aliens gathered in formation outside of laser range and prepared for a bombing run.

Then the plasma battery opened up.

The first cruiser was holed in the first barrage. It wobbled and then plummeted to the ground, slamming into the Nevada desert 25 miles from HQX. The aliens held their formation and tried to press their attack, but the plasma cannons recharged quickly, and the second barrage took the second cruiser directly in the bridge. The entire ship exploded in a fireball that lit up the night sky.

That was enough for the rest of the alien formation, which scattered and retreated. One got into the edge of laser range, and the base's secondary battery left it trailing smoke and limping. The American fighters pounced upon it, and ensured that it did not escape.

X-COM teams were dispatched to check out the wreckage of the first cruiser, but there were no alien survivors.

TO: MEMBERS, ALPHA TEAM
CC: MICHAEL GARRET, GRACE THELON BELUCA, AGENT INISE DRAKE
RE: Research/Manufacturing Progress Report

Good work on the base attack mission. The destruction of the alien battleship has given us a big step forward vis-a-vis the alien threat. Unfortunately, we were unable to capture the battleship commander or the ship's data logs, which might have shed more information on the aliens' plans. Our engineers are working to try to extract useful data from your helmet recorders. Based on what you've told us in your mission logs, we are acting under the assumption that the main alien base is on a planetary body, moon, or asteroid located within the solar system. We have eliminated our own Moon as an option, but that leaves a number of likely candidates.

Unfortunately, the unusual side effects of the nerve agent have forced us to sideline this weapon for now. Based on the data you brought back, Doctor White says that the toxin is currently too unstable and unpredictable for widespread use, especially in human-populated areas, until research can be further advanced.

We have completed our work on the Chryssalid corpse. Our Biological Sciences research team is working on a countermeasure to neutralize the creature's implantation attack.

We may initiate a major project: the Psi-Lab. Constructing the Psi-Lab will require a full research team in addition to an estimated 60 engineer-weeks of manufacturing resources.

Preliminary study of the crystals that you found in the alien base indicate that the substance is capable of outputting incredible amounts of heat when subjected to magnetic fields. This could open up a whole new line of study into a power source independent of Elerium-115. Grace has suggested that one immediate benefit might be the creation of an even more advanced type of Powered Armor using the new technology. She says that she will submit a proposal to Research as soon as she has completed her study.

Note that we encountered two new alien types on this mission. If you can bring back carcasses or live versions of these alien races, which we are labeling "Muton" and "Celatid", we can study them further in our research program.

Remove ads