D&D 5E Xanathar's Elven Accuracy

Nikioko

First Post
Its doable. Worth noting that you don't get to swap out invocations etc when you take the cleric level, but only when you take another warlock level after you take the level in cleric.

Its certainly not going to break anything or be overpowered: Eldritch Blast doesn't gain that much from critting since the main benefit of it over other cantrips is adding the ability score, which isn't affected by critting.

Yes of course, same goes for swapping spells. The general idea is taking just one level cleric and the rest warlock.
I am just wondering whether I am better off with taking + 2 CHA (leaving out elven accuracy) and one level fighter (defense fighting style) instead since this means another +1 on AC.

Last edited:

Yes of course, same goes for swapping spells. The general idea is taking just one level cleric and the rest warlock.
I am just wondering whether I am better off with taking + 2 CHA (leaving out elven accuracy) and one level fighter (defense fighting style) instead since this means another +1 on AC.

Taking a fighter level just for +1 AC is a waste for an eldritch blaster, you probably won't get attacked often enough for it to matter, and Improved Invisibility makes you very hard to hit anyway when it's up. If you want to maximize AC you can take your cleric level in the Forge domain and then enchant your armor to +1 instead.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
You have to sometimes. Haven't you ever been at a table where a player shows up with a mathematically optimized PC that they didn't have a name for yet? Or the dwarf fighter who took Mariner fighting style because its better than defensive for some builds yet cant explain the boat or water they were on or where they learned that style? Or have a player after the DM declares a player missed an attack "I know that roll hits I know the monsters AC from the monsters manual." Another poster in Enworld had to take the players phones away because they will looking up monster stats on apps at the table.

It sounds like I am cracking the whip, but if 5-10 minutes it takes to make up something to ground the PC in is too much to ask, well ....

I can’t speak for anyone else, but as a DM I literally don’t care if the dwarf with Mariner Fighting Style has ever been a sailor. It’s a fighting style. I’d ask, “ok, so what is represented by you being an excellent climber and swimmer, and being a dwarf who fights with just a one handed weapon?” or whatever. The crunch is just crunch. If your sorcerer is an alchemist, that’s fine.

If your PalaLock has 1 level of fighter to get dual wielding or mariner FS while taking Defensive from Paladin to be an effective lightly armored swashbuckling Paladin who uses Cha for attack and damage, or uses Great Weapon and Defensive with a great sword and takes Armor of Shadows from warlock to have magic “armor” and attack/dmg with Cha to recreate the 4e Avenger, sweet.

There is a concept, and you’ve found a satisfying way to model it using the mechanics. I literally don’t care if ur mechanics fit the stock description of the abilities in the actual fiction of play.

Edit: At my table, I would never say “You can only multiclass if you have a story for it”, because classes don’t exist in the game world. You taking a level of fighter is the same as taking another level of the class you’re in. It’s just the next step on the path you’ve been training. What I always say, regardless of “build” is, “you have to have a story. Full stop. There will not be a character with no story at my table.”

Last edited:

Warpiglet

Adventurer
I have a blade pact warlock who is a half elf hexblade.

I can cast true strike on the first turn and then swing with a greatsword hoping to land a blow with elven accuracy. There are higher chances for a crit in this scenario and if using the hexblade's curse, that is three dice at 19-20 for a crit

With a crit I would use eldritch strike...

I would probably only set this up in a pivotal fight and wounded party members...

Nikioko

First Post
Taking a fighter level just for +1 AC is a waste for an eldritch blaster, you probably won't get attacked often enough for it to matter, and Improved Invisibility makes you very hard to hit anyway when it's up. If you want to maximize AC you can take your cleric level in the Forge domain and then enchant your armor to +1 instead.

Since I get into melee with multiple opponents in almost every fight: yes, I get often enough to matter (for multiclassing at all to become proficient with medium armour, not for multiclassing with fighter in particular). As for the enchantment: This isn't Pathfinder. PCs are not allowed to create magical items apart from potions (and we don't have the necessary downtime either), and magical items are scarce and cannot be bought and hardly sold, only found (PHB p. 144). And our GM made quite clear that there won't be any +X armour at all in the game.
But considering your point, one level of cleric still seems the best choice at that point.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Since I get into melee with multiple opponents in almost every fight: yes, I get often enough to matter (for multiclassing at all to become proficient with medium armour, not for multiclassing with fighter in particular). As for the enchantment: This isn't Pathfinder. PCs are not allowed to create magical items apart from potions (and we don't have the necessary downtime either), and magical items are scarce and cannot be bought and hardly sold, only found (PHB p. 144). And our GM made quite clear that there won't be any +X armour at all in the game.
But considering your point, one level of cleric still seems the best choice at that point.

If you play with Xanathar's then the Forge cleric subclass gets a class ability to enchant armor (temporarily).

Nikioko

First Post
If you play with Xanathar's then the Forge cleric subclass gets a class ability to enchant armor (temporarily).

Yes, but how to explain that Mitra, Thyr and Solanos have become forgery gods all of a sudden? :D My GM wouldn't allow that unless the cleric domain suits to the god's domain.

I have a blade pact warlock who is a half elf hexblade.

I can cast true strike on the first turn and then swing with a greatsword hoping to land a blow with elven accuracy. There are higher chances for a crit in this scenario and if using the hexblade's curse, that is three dice at 19-20 for a crit

With a crit I would use eldritch strike...

I would probably only set this up in a pivotal fight and wounded party members...

That is correct but since you attack only every second true, True Strike renders quite an useless spell. Unless... you are an Eldritch knight on level 7 who can cast a cantrip and then attack as a bonus action.
Otherwise I would think of something else to generate advantages on attacks like Greater Invisibility which also gives your opponent disadvantage to hit. True, it costs a spell slot and needs concentration so that Hex doesn't work, but True Strike also requires concentration.

Last edited:

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Yes, but how to explain that Mitra, Thyr and Solanos have become forgery gods all of a sudden? :D My GM wouldn't allow that unless the cleric domain suits to the god's domain.
If your DM opts not to use that subclass, then obviously it isn't an option. Or perhaps your DM just doesn't allow cleric/warlock multiclass anyway ;)

Warpiglet

Adventurer

That is correct but since you attack only every second true, True Strike renders quite an useless spell. Unless... you are an Eldritch knight on level 7 who can cast a cantrip and then attack as a bonus action.
Otherwise I would think of something else to generate advantages on attacks like Greater Invisibility which also gives your opponent disadvantage to hit. True, it costs a spell slot and needs concentration so that Hex doesn't work, but True Strike also requires concentration.

I see you what you mean but if there is no other source of advantage, this yields 3 rolls instead of two if fishing for a crit over two rounds not to mention just the ability to hit.

Ah. Those are the gods your character follows?

Under most situations, where a crit does less than double damage, that is true. Warpiglet is aiming for a crit into which to dump spell slots as a smite however, doubling the benefit of the slot used.

Remove ads