D&D 5E XP for Absent Players

Larnievc

Hero
For more than 30 years I've been awarding half XP for players who miss the gaming session. What are considerations for changing this approach and awarding the same XP to everyone, absent or present?

ETA: Playing 5E, don't care at all about characters all being the same level.

Part of me argues that missing some of the XP isn't a punishment since they're getting some of the reward for their character's participation, but I can see the counter-argument that the character is still facing all the same risks (indeed potentially more risk by letting someone else play the character) but getting less reward.

I'd say our usual thought process has been the second option that Kinematics listed in post 30 below. And I'm reflecting on the posts here to see if I want to change it.
Everyone I’m my game get the same experience.

I can’t be doing with player inequality.

Larnievc

Hero
After all, it's not like you're going to kill off their character when they aren't even there.
Dunno about that. A guy in my group died and rolled up a new guy (level 10). Played one session, went on holiday: his guy was there when a cave dragon breathed and failed his DM made save.

Dead but resurrected (two sessions later).

It does happen.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
This touches on something I mentioned earlier: People are conflating two different issues here. The original thread topic was dealing with XP distribution for absent players — people who are not actually at the game session. Then people brought in issues about giving XP to players who are at the game, but not contributing in whatever manner.
I did this in part because I see xp as a character reward, independent of and not associated with the player. Doesn't matter if the player's there or not, if the character contributes it gets xp.

Hence my points about characters who don't contribute getting the same xp as those who do being a problem, and on it went from there.

It's using a symptom of a problem (ie: a player getting XP who didn't "deserve" it) and using that to define how you handle XP, when that's really the wrong tool for the job. You can, for example, still use milestone leveling while telling a problem player, "No, you don't go up a level. Because you were being a hindrance to the game, and/or Because I said so."
As soon as you do it that way you're heading straight into the morass of "DM favouritism" accusations; and that never ends well.

Instead, track individual xp by encounter - and even sometimes ask the players "Who all got in on that?". (I just keep a list of PC names; for each encounter I add a column by the list with tick marks for who got in, then figure out the actual numbers later)

The choice of XP handling should be chosen because of how you want the game to work. It shouldn't be influenced by how you want to handle out-of-game issues.
Character risk-taking and involvement are very much in-game issues; I'd like to encourage action rather than cowardice, and the xp system I use reflects that as best it can.

I award both group and individual xp. XP is awarded for achieving goals (determined by the players). Everyone gains group xp, upon achieving a goal that the group has pursued together. Individuals gain individual xp for goals they have pursued separately from the group.

Characters whose players miss a lot of sessions tend to have somewhat less xp than characters whose players are present more often, but not by a lot, and small differences in level have not had a noticeable impact on player enjoyment.

Maestrino

Explorer
Philosophically, D&D is a game. To have fun. That you play with friends. So, if one person has to miss a session now and again, I'd rather not punish them when they're already missing out. They gain XP with everyone else. XP isn't keeping a score to "win" D&D - it's just a method of determining when you get to unlock the next cool ability for your character, and when the bad guys get tougher.

mortwatcher

Explorer
Counter-Nomophobia XP Award
If you do not take out your smartphone during play outside of designated break periods, you gain +10% XP over what you earned over the course of the session.

Adjust percentage according to the severity of smartphone addiction that needs to be combated at your table.

I personally have no issues with players using their phones as long as it is game-related

we have this vast resource of information of rules/rulings that can be quickly looked up to clarify thing, spells that can be clarified etc.

personally I find it much easier to find what a spell does by quick google search than browsing through the book and a person looking something up in the book is as much disengaged as the one looking something up on their phone imo

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I personally have no issues with players using their phones as long as it is game-related

we have this vast resource of information of rules/rulings that can be quickly looked up to clarify thing, spells that can be clarified etc.

personally I find it much easier to find what a spell does by quick google search than browsing through the book and a person looking something up in the book is as much disengaged as the one looking something up on their phone imo

I don't have an issue with it either, but some people do, and that's perhaps a tool to try out to see if it improves the situation.

I'm on the pencil and paper side of things when playing in person... though I have used my phone from time to time to look stuff up quickly. It's just that D&D is an escape from my otherwise device filled work day and it actually feels good for me to be away from the screen for a few hours at a go.

To prevent the dreaded "look up the spell in the PHB during my turn" syndrome, I encourage all players to print a custom spell sheet from www.dnd-spells.com (or equivalent). Then please try to actually read it between sessions to gain more familiarity with these things that are of some import to your character and increase the speed at which you can take your turn.

Maestrino

Explorer
For that, I have to say - D&D Beyond's character sheet is freaking amazing for spellcasters. Don't remember what a spell does? Click on the name - the details pop open in the window. No page turning. The drawback is you have to pay D&D Beyond to access all the content, and it's only for 5e.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases