D&D Movie/TV (Yet another) D&D Movie Speculation thread.

Chaosmancer

Legend
So reading through this entire thread, and pulling upon other thoughts I've had for a while, this would be my pitch to the producers (not an elevator pitch, I find those too punchy)

The characters aren't heroes on a grand quest, they are mercenaries and the naive one who hired them.

Reasoning: Lord of the Rings is about epic heroes (as is Warcraft, Star Wars ect), Game of Thrones is about political machinations, how do you muscle into that territory? You make it about average people. This team of adventurers isn't particularly good, but they are a tightly honed group with specific skills. And, 75% of all DnD campaigns are about mercs anyways, so it fits. We need the Naive one though, the character who is the audience stand in so we can explain things. This is the character who is going to ask the cynical and effective mercs why sneaking away from the gnoll pack is smarter than talking to them. We need to see inside this group and learn how they work, and they aren't going to be talking to each other about things we know.

We should avoid elves and dwarves, tieflings and gnomes would be awesome, maybe Goliaths. The Human should not be the leader.

Reasoning: Well, other fantasy races are done a lot. Dwarves and Elves are so ubiquitous that you can't say the word fantasy without getting hit in the face with them. Gnomes making crazy inventions has been done, but I think it is always fun. The real subtle punch could be the Tiefling though. It is a dangerous move (a devil! in a movie about magic! Burn them all!) but it taps into a social pressure we are currently facing. Tieflings didn't make any choices to be the way they are, it was the choices of their ancestors which led them to be hated and ostracized, it taps that "I didn't ask to be born this way" feeling, and we don't have to be heavy handed about it.

And yeah, we always want to have the human guy leading the group of "others", but if we want to stand out, the human isn't the leader. Make the Goliath or the Tiefling the leader of the group, the one with the charisma to get these personalities to mesh.

The quest should be simple, with the bad guys being a different group or force. A fetch quest is good, or delivering some missive through dangerous lands. Maybe the naive one needs to go and identify something, or investigate some strange occurrence. Whatever it is, don't make it complicated. And for enemies, I like the idea of Mind Flayers, maybe demons. A powerful mastermind with a lieutenant who dogs the groups steps, turning different forces against them.

Important note: KEEP THE MASTERMIND HIDDEN! We want that reveal when the figure in the shadows steps out and has a squid-face, or maybe we see them the entire time, but in the final confrontation they reveal they were a dragon the entire time. We want to shock the group and the audience when they see just what they are up against. And building dread by keeping the biggest threat out of sight is really effective.

Don't do stupid cliches. Don't have one of the party members betray the group for some material reward, maybe have an epic moment where the lieutenant tries it but gets shot down. We want to identify with the group as a whole, and this is a brotherhood, a fellowship, and it shouldn't be a sack of gold or an ancient text away from imploding.

Let them be epic.

IF we go with a classic 4 or 5 man party, then let the fighter open their intro to the group by effortlessly taking out some bandits. Let the wise-cracking rogue be sitting on the sidelines making fun the entire time, until he pulls the trigger on a hidden crossbow and finishes the last one off with a perfect strike. Let the mage wow us with magic and the cleric call down fury with their prayers (barring the fighter, mage, or cleric being the naive one [never let the rogue be the naive one, they are the cynical expert{Unless they are a cute child like thing/orphan}]). We want to see a competent band who can handle themselves in a world as dangerous as DnD. Then, when we get to the end, and they are feeling overwhelmed, it feels somewhat intense. These are the guys who took on that entire pack of gnolls with barely a sweat, now they are freaking out, this thing must be strong. It is a cheap trick, but most tricks are cheap and they still work.

The rest is just a balancing act, and that is the part where professional move makers make magic.

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
So reading through this entire thread, and pulling upon other thoughts I've had for a while, this would be my pitch to the producers (not an elevator pitch, I find those too punchy)

The characters aren't heroes on a grand quest, they are mercenaries and the naive one who hired them.

Reasoning: Lord of the Rings is about epic heroes (as is Warcraft, Star Wars ect), Game of Thrones is about political machinations, how do you muscle into that territory? You make it about average people. This team of adventurers isn't particularly good, but they are a tightly honed group with specific skills. And, 75% of all DnD campaigns are about mercs anyways, so it fits. We need the Naive one though, the character who is the audience stand in so we can explain things. This is the character who is going to ask the cynical and effective mercs why sneaking away from the gnoll pack is smarter than talking to them. We need to see inside this group and learn how they work, and they aren't going to be talking to each other about things we know.

We should avoid elves and dwarves, tieflings and gnomes would be awesome, maybe Goliaths. The Human should not be the leader.

Reasoning: Well, other fantasy races are done a lot. Dwarves and Elves are so ubiquitous that you can't say the word fantasy without getting hit in the face with them. Gnomes making crazy inventions has been done, but I think it is always fun. The real subtle punch could be the Tiefling though. It is a dangerous move (a devil! in a movie about magic! Burn them all!) but it taps into a social pressure we are currently facing. Tieflings didn't make any choices to be the way they are, it was the choices of their ancestors which led them to be hated and ostracized, it taps that "I didn't ask to be born this way" feeling, and we don't have to be heavy handed about it.

And yeah, we always want to have the human guy leading the group of "others", but if we want to stand out, the human isn't the leader. Make the Goliath or the Tiefling the leader of the group, the one with the charisma to get these personalities to mesh.

The quest should be simple, with the bad guys being a different group or force. A fetch quest is good, or delivering some missive through dangerous lands. Maybe the naive one needs to go and identify something, or investigate some strange occurrence. Whatever it is, don't make it complicated. And for enemies, I like the idea of Mind Flayers, maybe demons. A powerful mastermind with a lieutenant who dogs the groups steps, turning different forces against them.

Important note: KEEP THE MASTERMIND HIDDEN! We want that reveal when the figure in the shadows steps out and has a squid-face, or maybe we see them the entire time, but in the final confrontation they reveal they were a dragon the entire time. We want to shock the group and the audience when they see just what they are up against. And building dread by keeping the biggest threat out of sight is really effective.

Don't do stupid cliches. Don't have one of the party members betray the group for some material reward, maybe have an epic moment where the lieutenant tries it but gets shot down. We want to identify with the group as a whole, and this is a brotherhood, a fellowship, and it shouldn't be a sack of gold or an ancient text away from imploding.

Let them be epic.

IF we go with a classic 4 or 5 man party, then let the fighter open their intro to the group by effortlessly taking out some bandits. Let the wise-cracking rogue be sitting on the sidelines making fun the entire time, until he pulls the trigger on a hidden crossbow and finishes the last one off with a perfect strike. Let the mage wow us with magic and the cleric call down fury with their prayers (barring the fighter, mage, or cleric being the naive one [never let the rogue be the naive one, they are the cynical expert{Unless they are a cute child like thing/orphan}]). We want to see a competent band who can handle themselves in a world as dangerous as DnD. Then, when we get to the end, and they are feeling overwhelmed, it feels somewhat intense. These are the guys who took on that entire pack of gnolls with barely a sweat, now they are freaking out, this thing must be strong. It is a cheap trick, but most tricks are cheap and they still work.

The rest is just a balancing act, and that is the part where professional move makers make magic.

Wow...

Thank you for submitting this to the thread!

Pauln6

Hero
Planning trilogies out from the start never works.Almost every successful film trilogy has been an accidentally trilogy after a successful one-and-done film. LotR is a big exception, but everything about that movie was a fluke: even getting the same people together to make more movie couldn’t replicate the success.
That's not quite true. Star wars was a planned trilogy. The Bourne trilogy was planned in that they intended to adapt three stories. Marvel isn't planning trilogies but a broad story outline which it can edge towards. I think I agree that telling an unresolved story in three parts like LotR is dangerous. Even the first adaptation floundered after part one. However, telling self-enclosed stories with a view to a larger arc not only works, it's awesome.

That's not quite true. Star wars was a planned trilogy. The Bourne trilogy was planned in that they intended to adapt three stories. Marvel isn't planning trilogies but a broad story outline which it can edge towards. I think I agree that telling an unresolved story in three parts like LotR is dangerous. Even the first adaptation floundered after part one. However, telling self-enclosed stories with a view to a larger arc not only works, it's awesome.
Star Wars was NOT a “planned” trilogy. After the success of the first, Lucas planned out nine movies, but suuuuuper loosely. Even then, he largely made up the sequels as he went along.Bourne was based on books. So it wasn’t so much planning the trilogy as continuing to make the novels. But the first still largely stands alone. And Marvel is only very, very loosely doing “trilogies”. But even then, the planning and building fame after the successes of the early films. They need a stand alone film, albeit one that can grow and expand. But a planned trilogy is a bad idea.

Pauln6

Hero
Star Wars was NOT a “planned” trilogy. After the success of the first, Lucas planned out nine movies, but suuuuuper loosely. Even then, he largely made up the sequels as he went along.Bourne was based on books. So it wasn’t so much planning the trilogy as continuing to make the novels. But the first still largely stands alone. And Marvel is only very, very loosely doing “trilogies”. But even then, the planning and building fame after the successes of the early films. They need a stand alone film, albeit one that can grow and expand. But a planned trilogy is a bad idea.
The first movie has always been Episode IV. I recall at the time Lucas saying he started at IV because it was the episode when all the heroes meet. I'm sure he didn't know exactly what might be in any sequels or prequels but there was certainly a degree of planning here.

The first movie has always been Episode IV. I recall at the time Lucas saying he started at IV because it was the episode when all the heroes meet. I'm sure he didn't know exactly what might be in any sequels or prequels but there was certainly a degree of planning here.
Not really.He wrote a big sprawling epic in his head and set the story in the middle, as he thought that would make the best story. But he didn’t plan on continuing, hence his allowing another writer to continue the story in Splinter of the Mind’s Eye.It was episode IV because he wanted to emulate old movie serials and thought it would be fun. He very much set-up Episode VI ahead of time, with lines like “No, there is another”, but still only had it half planned. For the first couple drafts, Luke’s sister was a new character.

Pauln6

Hero
Not really.He wrote a big sprawling epic in his head and set the story in the middle, as he thought that would make the best story. But he didn’t plan on continuing, hence his allowing another writer to continue the story in Splinter of the Mind’s Eye.It was episode IV because he wanted to emulate old movie serials and thought it would be fun. He very much set-up Episode VI ahead of time, with lines like “No, there is another”, but still only had it half planned. For the first couple drafts, Luke’s sister was a new character.
Cool. Let's do that with the D&D movies.

Chaosmancer

Legend
I like it except for the last. The naive one should be someone like Elan from OOTS. Or, even better, the wizard's familiar.

That could work, I like simplifying it in allowing the employer to go with the group, instead of introducing the employer as a whole separate character.

One 'problem' with this style of movie is we don't have one protagonist to follow (depending on how it is done) we have a group, so having too many characters could quickly become a problem.

Also, Elan might be too fourth wall breaking. It'd be a PG Deadpool to some people, and I'm not sure people will want that in a movie that isn't 95% comedic.

Having just read that the movie should stay away from elves and dwarves and include tieflings, I suddenly wondered if it could have both elves, dwarves, and a tieflings.

And then I remembered the IDW D&D comic from the 4e days:
https://www.dmsguild.com/product/183335/Dungeons--Dragons-Digital--BUNDLE?manufacturers_id=8687

This is exactly what I want out of a D&D movie.

Heck yes I would love an adaption of Fell's Five.

I bought the hardback bundle a few years ago, loved it, and have greatly regretted the lack of a continuation especially since it seemed we were just getting started with our librarian warlock.

Remove ads