D&D Movie/TV (Yet another) D&D Movie Speculation thread.

delericho

Legend
Tyranny of Dragons, while more than a little railroad-y, wouldn’t be a bad choice indeed.

I'm not sure 'railroad-y' is a problem for a movie. :)

But I think when the movie happens, it’ll be the other way around. We’ll see a module and an Adventurers League season that ties into the movie.

Agreed.

Heck, they kind-of did that with the third D&D movie, releasing the 4e Book of Vile Darkness. I imagine it would’ve helped if more than 100 people saw the film.

Or if it wasn't terrible. That third film made the first one look like a classic.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Anime remains pretty niche. It's still not a mass market appeal.

Perhaps not among adults, but it does seem to have a mass appeal with kids and teens (which, coincidenatally, is the target audience of most anime these days). It seems like most kids these days like some anime. Which brings me back the point that if you were to make an animated D&D series (regardless of animation style)—you need to market it to young teens, because that's where you're going to get the biggest draw. Make it smart, and you'll get some older teens and maybe some adults who will watch it, too.

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
Perhaps not among adults, but it does seem to have a mass appeal with kids and teens (which, coincidenatally, is the target audience of most anime these days). It seems like most kids these days like some anime. Which brings me back the point that if you were to make an animated D&D series (regardless of animation style)—you need to market it to young teens, because that's where you're going to get the biggest draw. Make it smart, and you'll get some older teens and maybe some adults who will watch it, too.

Hmm... very true.

I would model the show after Netflix's The Dragon Prince, but that's merely my personal bias.

lluewhyn

Explorer
But they did make a Dragonlance movie 10 years ago, well, an animated film. They even got a few big names for the voice-acting. And it bombed, and is currently sitting at 4.9/10 on IMDB.

But if you were wanting to go that route, I would recommend starting with another animated series, and get it going on something like Netflix before segueing into the theaters if it's popular enough.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
My feeling is that the only point to making a Dungeons & Dragons movie is if the movie acknowledges that D&D is a game, and tells parallel stories of the "real life" people (probably kids) who are playing the game, intercut with fully-realized scenes of their characters (played by stars) existing and interacting in a fantasy world. The movie would explore how the lives and relationships of the real kids influence their game, and vice-versa. And it would be a movie about imagination and probably about escape. There is a lot of humor and pathos to be had there. That imo is what makes D&D unique and charming.

Otherwise, it's inevitably just another fantasy movie - one that will definitely be worse than Fellowship of the Ring and Game of Thrones. We have loads of that kind of D&D movie already, with the insignificant detail that they don't have the "Dungeons & Dragons" brand on them.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
My feeling is that the only point to making a Dungeons & Dragons movie is if the movie acknowledges that D&D is a game, and tells parallel stories of the "real life" people (probably kids) who are playing the game, intercut with fully-realized scenes of their characters (played by stars) existing and interacting in a fantasy world. The movie would explore how the lives and relationships of the real kids influence their game, and vice-versa. And it would be a movie about imagination and probably about escape. There is a lot of humor and pathos to be had there. That imo is what makes D&D unique and charming.

Otherwise, it's inevitably just another fantasy movie - one that will definitely be worse than Fellowship of the Ring and Game of Thrones. We have loads of that kind of D&D movie already, with the insignificant detail that they don't have the "Dungeons & Dragons" brand on them.

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle is a good model to follow, I think. It could work.

We know that wasn't the tactic they were approaching the movie with in the WB project, but who knows what they will do at Paramount?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)

The highest grossing Anime movie for the past decade in the U.S. is barely a speed bump in terms of general box office numbers. It's about as niche a field as they come. Even documentaries make more.

Last edited:

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
But they did make a Dragonlance movie 10 years ago, well, an animated film. They even got a few big names for the voice-acting. And it bombed, and is currently sitting at 4.9/10 on IMDB.

Yeah, that was a poorly handled, poorly executed pile o' poop.

For all the talk of animation, the D&D movie (whenever it comes out) is going to be live-action. It would be best not to retread past movies or novels too closely, so as to take from the more modern character choices like dragonborn, tieflings, etc. to go along with the old familiar humans, elves, and dwarves.

But if you were wanting to go that route, I would recommend starting with another animated series, and get it going on something like Netflix before segueing into the theaters if it's popular enough.

This is more along my thoughts (except letting the series and the movie stay separate).

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle is a good model to follow, I think. It could work.

We know that wasn't the tactic they were approaching the movie with in the WB project, but who knows what they will do at Paramount?

Yes - exactly! Like a smarter, less irritating Jumanji. With a bit of a Lego Movie sensibility too.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yeah, that was a poorly handled, poorly executed pile o' poop.

For all the talk of animation, the D&D movie (whenever it comes out) is going to be live-action. It would be best not to retread past movies or novels too closely, so as to take from the more modern character choices like dragonborn, tieflings, etc. to go along with the old familiar humans, elves, and dwarves.

This is more along my thoughts (except letting the series and the movie stay separate).

I don't seen an animated theatrical release anytime soon: a family friendly TV show *cough*Hasbrotoycommercial*cough* however, seems likely sooner or later.

Remove ads