• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General You thought the Mercer Effect was bad...

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I loved the D&D Movie. Super fun. Laughed harder and more than any other film I can think of. But hot damn... can you imagine DMing for players who's only experience of D&D is seeing the movie?

Yeah, that'd be a pretty easy way to start people off, I think.

Makes you wonder if he was actually just a thief that can play the lute

It isn't like Bardic Inspiration comes with a visible effect. His using mind-effecting spells without visible spellcasting isn't even the most inaccurate depiction of magic in the movie.

Undrave

Legend
If a new player's only exposure to D&D was the movie, I'd have to sit that player down and explain that the movie is showing characters after they've already been played a lot (i.e. are considerably higher than 1st level) and that getting to be like the movie characters takes a fair amount of play, along with some luck.
Except for the Wildshape abuse.

Except for Chris Pine's character. He seemed to be a level 0 bard :)
Mastermind Rogue with the Entertainer background.

Clint_L

Legend
I think the "Matt Mercer" effect is apocryphal anyway. I've never seen it manifest. In general, people are smart enough to understand the difference between professionals doing something and everyone else doing it. It's why they don't storm of the court the first time they play pick-up basketball, enraged that the quality is nowhere near as good as the NBA.

MGibster

Legend
I loved the D&D Movie. Super fun. Laughed harder and more than any other film I can think of. But hot damn... can you imagine DMing for players who's only experience of D&D is seeing the movie?
I take D&D about as seriously as a I do Adam West's Batman series from the 60s. I'd be more concerned about combat not playing out in an exciting cinematic way in the game like it did in the movie.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I take D&D about as seriously as a I do Adam West's Batman series from the 60s. I'd be more concerned about combat not playing out in an exciting cinematic way in the game like it did in the movie.
Ironically, taking some tips from Matt Mercer would help with that.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
"I stepped on the bridge trap by accident. Whoops?"
"Plan A and B failed, let's do Plan C!"
Yes. yes I can absolutely imagine DMing for players like that. That would just be another week.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads