• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General You thought the Mercer Effect was bad...

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Not for nothing, but one of the few things I dislike about Mercer's style is the way, IMO, he over-narrates combat from the PCs perspective.

I'm not a fan of the DM taking my actions and dictating how they are done.
It's a style thing, for sure, but it seems yo work for his group given the abstract nature of D&D combat.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Right? A group that doesn’t care about the rules, isn’t focused on optimization, is more interested in just goofing around and having fun for a few hours, and has more of a cinematic sense of D&D than a number-crunching wargame? Yes, please.
I have never played with a group of players who don't care about the rules.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
Oh I have, many times. In middle school or high school, we didn't always have copies of the rulebooks to refer to, so we had to make a lot of stuff up on the fly. And even more recently in the mid-2010s, I would babysit my niblings with an occasional game of D&D.

Nibling: (looking through the Monster Manual, stops at the painting of Rivergleam the Pixie) Oooo, she's pretty! Can I be a fairy princess?
Me: You can be whatever you want! (helps them add the pixie stats to their character sheet)
Nephew: Anything? Can I be a dragon? I wanna be a magical dragon!
Me: That sounds really awesome, let's do it! (helps him roll up a dragonborn wizard)

Rules have their place, but they aren't the end-all, be-all necessity that some folks paint them up to be.

EDIT: Woah. I just realized that "dragonborn wizard" graduated high school last Saturday, and his "pixie" sibling is only two years behind him. Time flies when you're rollin' dice.

Last edited:

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I have. Quite a lot. It's infinitely more fun than a table of rules lawyers. But then I also play RPGs with kids, as well as ultralight games and FKR games with kids and adults. Rules-focused players are only a portion of the RPG community, not the whole of the RPG community.
Oh I have, many times. In middle school or high school, we didn't always have copies of the rulebooks to refer to, so we had to make a lot of stuff up on the fly. And even more recently in the mid-2010s, I would babysit my niblings with an occasional game of D&D.

Nibling: (looking through the Monster Manual, stops at the painting of Rivergleam the Pixie) Oooo, she's pretty! Can I be a fairy princess?
Me: You can be whatever you want! (helps them add the pixie stats to their character sheet)
Nephew: Anything? Can I be a dragon? I wanna be a magical dragon!
Me: That sounds really awesome, let's do it! (helps him roll up a dragonborn wizard)

Rules have their place, but they aren't the end-all, be-all necessity that some folks paint them up to be.

EDIT: Woah. I just realized that "dragonborn wizard" graduated high school last Saturday, and his "pixie" sibling is only two years behind him. Time flies when you're rollin' dice.
Exactly. It's a game of pure, limitless imagination...but you're expected to only ever paint within these tiny predefined lines, and the whole thing comes with a pile of homework inexplicably attached.

Remove ads