• Tom Welling

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Tyler Hoechlin

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Other thing that I forgot

Votes: 2 2.2%

Thourne

Hero
I still see George Reeves when I picture Superman. The old black-and-white white was so iconic. I should probably rewatch some episodes before calling him "best" though. It's been a long time and I worry it won't hold up.
I loved those.
A bit Robert Wahl had always sticks in my head though. Superman stands there arms on his hips as bullets bounce off him, then ducks when they throw the gun. Can't get that out of my head lol

delericho

Legend
Point of Order: In the Batman thread, I noted that Conroy had played Bruce Wayne once in live action, and it was queried whether he'd ever suited up as Batman. In which case, I feel I should ask the same question about Tom Welling.

Oh, and to answer the original question: Reeve is the yardstick by which all other supermen are judged.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Point of Order: In the Batman thread, I noted that Conroy had played Bruce Wayne once in live action, and it was queried whether he'd ever suited up as Batman. In which case, I feel I should ask the same question about Tom Welling.
sure it was the very last shot and we didnt see the full suit and cape but I’d say this still counts
74205688-AF27-4E6F-A278-82BD17BBF576.jpeg

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Honestly, this survey would be a lot more interesting asking about the second best Superman, which is a much harder question. A number of them do a good job of embodying the goodness of Superman and others do a good job of embodying the physicality of Superman and a few also do a good job of nailing Clark Kent. But very few are able to do all three.

Stalker0

Legend
I will make the case for Tyler Hoechlin. Because he's on the smaller screen people might not be as familiar with him, but honestly, he does a very good job of being both superman AND clark kent.

In the opening scenes of the first episode of his show, you see him coming down from saving the day, yet spending a few minutes talking to some kids who are astounded to be in his prescence. They then mention "your cape is really cool" and Tyler gives the most geniune smile you ever did see and so enthusiastically says "thanks, my mom made it for me!" before flying off.

It was the most "superman moment" I've seen in a long time.

Dire Bare

Legend
I loved most of the portrayals on your list.

The Henry Cavill films are flawed, but I love his Superman. He's my close second favorite.

I love Brandon Routh as an actor in general, and I really enjoyed his turn at Superman, even though his movie had some weird elements to it (stalker Superman?). And when Routh got to reprise the role in Crisis on Infinite Earths on TV, wow, I really enjoyed that.

Tyler Hoechlin is amazing, and we get at least one more season of him!!

I enjoyed Tom Welling in Smallville, but for some reason I rarely think of him when folks ask this question. I suppose that was kinda the point of the show, that this was about Clark Kent, not Superman.

But hands down, Christopher Reeve is my favorite Superman. Probably, mostly, because he was my first live-action Superman. And, I ignore the movies after Superman II. The theme music from Donner's films hit me emotionally every time I hear it . . .

delericho

Legend
sure it was the very last shot and we didnt see the full suit and cape but I’d say this still counts
View attachment 345762
Conversely, I'd say it doesn't, precisely because we don't see the full suit and cape - I'd argue that the last time we see him in Smallville is just before he suits up, and then the next time (in that same "Crisis on Infinite Earths" we had the Conroy-Wayne) is after he's stopped being Superman.

But, obviously, YMMV on all points. :)

Incidentally, I should note that none of that is any comment on the quality of Welling's performance - I thought it was a crying shame that we never got to see his take on Superman as well as Clark.

delericho

Legend
Honestly, this survey would be a lot more interesting asking about the second best Superman, which is a much harder question. A number of them do a good job of embodying the goodness of Superman and others do a good job of embodying the physicality of Superman and a few also do a good job of nailing Clark Kent. But very few are able to do all three.
That's a really interesting question. I haven't seen Tyler Hoechlin except for cameos in Supergirl (and, again, CoIE), but have heard good things. But for me that makes it a toss up between Routh (he was good, shame about the film, and like @Dire Bare I very much enjoyed his take in CoIE), Cavill (again, he was good; shame about the films), and Welling (he's great as Clark; don't know about Superman). I actually don't think I can separate the three.

Remove ads