• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Your experiences with broken Pathfinder characters? (edit: more accurately, w/1 avg PF character when the rest of the party is meh)

I'm having a hard time seeing the problem here. The monk spends two turns in combat (unless they have prep time for short duration buffs) casting shield and reduce person, has taken 3 levels in a class solely to be able to do this, and deals :):):):) damage (1d6 + str bonus, which is at -2 because of reduce person) in order to be unhittable. Is that not totally OK?

In my pathfinder game i have a sorceror who does the same, he spends most of the combat becoming untouchable. Once in a while i send a big baddie after him, to indulge him and make him feel like he is contributing, but overall he'd be a lot more effective if he would just cast... well offensive spells.

Yup, I don't see the problem either.

She's a teflon monk as has been referred to upthread. She's not much else, though. Imagine a party made up of a bunch of her--would they fight at level? I rather think not.

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
If you opt for "take it down a notch," one way you can get buy-in from your hardcore player is what I call the "Harrison Bergeron" technique. Challenge the hardcore player to start with a known suboptimal setup (half-orc bard, for example) and make the most of it. If you get buy-in and if it works, you get a reasonably balanced table, and your hardcore player gets the satisfaction of working the system to max out a character.
Monks are already bottom-of-the-barrel...unless they got a massive power-up in PF?

Mad Hamish

First Post
Monks are already bottom-of-the-barrel...unless they got a massive power-up in PF?

They're clearly behind the full progression casters in terms of power and/or flexibility, I suspect they're behind Summoner's, Magus and Inquisators. I think they're comparable to the other classes and there's certainly things they do very well and they do have some of the better defenses around, (it's probably between them and Paladins)

stoloc

First Post
Reading this thread has reinforced my feelings about 3.x (including Pathfinder).

Very glad to not be playing any iteration of 3.x. This is not edition warring. I have no problem with other folks enjoying themselves by playing but the amount of optimizing and even accidental brokenness that occurs just means this is not the game for me.

Remove ads