Your favourite non-D&D game?

Elodan

Adventurer
Although it's been a while we keep going back to an Alternity game set in a home-brewed cross between Star*Drive and Dark Matter.

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
L5R, hands down. I love that the setting can handle a variety of different types of plots (supernatural threat, large-scale war, political/social maneuvering, etc.). I find that it encourages non-min/maxed characters by (largely) basing your level on the lower value of a social and a physical attribute that are paired together. So if you increase your Agility and Reflexes, you'll be at a lower level than someone who increased their Agility and Intelligence (which are paired with each other).

My very favorite part about L5R is that the culture is so different than D&D or my modern culture that I have to consider how I speak and roleplay. I found that helped me expand as a roleplayer.

The only caveat that I have is that the campaign must strive to emulate the foreign culture. I played under a GM who did not portray the social and cultural aspects well and it ended up feeling like D&D samurai edition.

Greg K

Legend
Another +1 for Savage Worlds (for non-supers gaming)

For supers, both Icons (using the new Great Power sourcebook and pyramid tests) and Mutants and Masterminds 2e (using the Ultimate Power sourcebook).

Ketherian

Explorer
Another one for HarnMaster.
I like the world and the game system.
I'm always willing to learn a new set of rules, but HarnMaster the one I've reached for time and time again.

Falstaff

First Post
Another one for HarnMaster.
I like the world and the game system.
I'm always willing to learn a new set of rules, but HarnMaster the one I've reached for time and time again.

Yes, HarnWorld and HarnMaster such great products, especially if you're the type of gamer who likes historically realistic settings and game mechanics. I love the designers' attention to detail and the minutia of everyday life in the middle ages. Too bad my players, and local gamers in general, aren't interested.

am181d

Adventurer
I'm not familiar with Heroes Unlimited's system. However, the original (FASERIP) Marvel Superheroes game, released the same year as Heroes Unlimited, had tables not just for mutants, but for generating characters of all types - technically, you didn't get to choose if you were going to be a mutant, altered human, hi-tech wonder, or what have you. The tables did it. It was, the only system in the game for generating characters. No semblance of balance was present (or really expected). :)

The MSH/FASERIP rules are my favorite. The Advanced game includes rules for *non* random character generation, but is still AMAZING (which is worth 50 points).

Remove ads