• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Your thoughts on warlocks

ThirdWizard

First Post
Jhulae said:
Even a conservative reading of the See the Unseen invocation says the 'See Invisibility' aspect is as the spell. Reading the spell notes for 'See Invisibilty, the duration is listed as 10 min/caster level, so a warlock would still have the ability for at least 10 minutes.

I'm actually interested to know if there's any clarifciation of the ability allowing it for 24 hours, as my DM only uses the 10 min/level interpretation.

Indeed.

"You can activate this ... allowing you to see invisible creatures and objects (as see invisibility). You also also gain darkvision ... for a period of 24 hours."

The see invisibility portion of the spell follows the rule for the spell, this is spelled out quite clearly. The see invisibility portion is as the spell, while the darkvision portion lasts 24 hours.

dedicated said:
Why would a character keep reactivating a 24-hour duration SLA evry few rounds? If you don't have CA don't post things based on the spells in the PHB, because the WArlock's invocations are completely different

Best not to get snarky when you're wrong. ;)

Votan

Explorer
satori01 said:
Now regarding the Evard's Black Tentacle Invocation, like the spell anyone entering the area of effect is subject to it. If the Warlock is in a group of Archers then yeah it could be bad, but then again a group of Archers with a Druid and not a Warlock can be just as bad, given the right circumstance and an entange spell, or a web spell or any battlefield controlling spell. A Warlock in a group of tanks in probably not going to chose this invocation due to the risk of grappling his own party mates at worst, or slowing their movement to half at best. Paper tiger argument.

The issue that I have here is that the Warlock can set up situations to be complete massacres very easily. A flying warlock can do very nasty things by repeatedly casting this innovocation on things trapped on the ground. It is true that a Warlock in the wrong type of party may find this less useful as a spell but the ability to cast it a huge number of times can seem over the top.

Same concern I have with fell flight and eldritch spear -- certain classes of enemies have absolutely no counter to this combination. A Sorcerer or Wizard at least is unlikely to be able to pull such a trick every encounter. A Warlock can.

This doesn't make the class grossly overpowered (although I was not happy wsith the high power curve of the one warlock I've had in a game) in and of itself. But it does mean that soem kinds of encoutners can be very easy which does have implications on certain types of campaigns.

In this sense it is like the Bard or wizard -- there are types of games where this class feels boring and useless. In other games it feels grossly overpowered. This is because key variables that are highly DM dependent will shift the class between extremely useful and utterly useless. At least that is my take on it.

Thanee

First Post
Yep, Ability Focus (eldritch blast) applies to all eldritch essences, they add a save to the eldritch blast, they don't really have a save themselves.

Bye
Thanee

I don't get that. By the errata, EB is an invocation. The essences are invocations. All invocations are spell-like abilities. Ability focus applies to one and only one spell-like ability.

That seems clearly to say that a given ability focus feat would apply to one invocation but have no affect on any other invocations, even if they piggy back one another.

Endur

First Post
The interpretation below is wrong. A single invocation has a single duration. In the case of See the Unseen, it lasts 24 hours for both the darkvision and see invisibility.

ThirdWizard said:
The see invisibility portion of the spell follows the rule for the spell, this is spelled out quite clearly. The see invisibility portion is as the spell, while the darkvision portion lasts 24 hours.

ThirdWizard

First Post
Endur said:
The interpretation below is wrong. A single invocation has a single duration. In the case of See the Unseen, it lasts 24 hours for both the darkvision and see invisibility.

Where does it say that?

dedicated

First Post
it specifically states in the explanation of EB that ability focus EB gives +2 to any saves associated with EB, which would include any essences

Edit: how am I being Snarky or wrong, you obviously have CA

And that's your interpretation, so you don't Know I'm wrong you think I'm wrong

Last edited:

Endur

First Post
The normal rule, is that if a power or spell or invocation or what-have-you specifies a duration, then the duration applies to the entire spell or power or invocation unless it specifies otherwise.

It does not specify that you use a duration other than 24 hours for Seeing Unseeable objects and creatures. So the 24 hours applies to the entire power. Not just part of it.

ThirdWizard said:
Where does it say that?

Remove ads