D&D 5E Zard's Post Tasha's Archetype Tier List

I have but other classes can also do that without making themselves worse.

The artificer gives up a lot for those infusions and 3/4 the intent is probably they use them themselves.
It doesn't matter if an individual character makes themselves worse, or sits out the fighting entirely, so long as the team total is greater. It's not unusual in some MMOs to see a whole squad of support types focusing on buffing one character who does all the fighting.

Zardnaar

Legend
It's 1d4+STR+RAGE BONUS.

They are refreshed every round. So as long as you are doing your job and taking hits a substantial amount can be absorbed.

The Battlerager does need a bit off help - but the DM can fix it by adding a greater variety and magical versions of spiked armour.

Outside the scope of the archetype as presented.

Not a bad idea if a pc does pick one. Next one I see will be the first though. I think my C rating is fair enough sometimes an archetype might be a strong B or weak A.

Hence in some campaigns this archetype is better or worse.

Zardnaar

Legend
It doesn't matter if an individual character makes themselves worse, or sits out the fighting entirely, so long as the team total is greater. It's not unusual in some MMOs to see a whole squad of support types focusing on buffing one character who does all the fighting.

Yeah but those buffs are usually really damn good, the infusions early on are very minor.

D&D rewards killing stuff faster so buffs have to be damn good (haste, greater invisibility) or low opportunity cost (bard dice, bless, faerie fire).

Outside the scope of the archetype as presented.

Not a bad idea if a pc does pick one. Next one I see will be the first though.
True - players have no way of knowing if the DM is going to drop awesome adamantine spiked half plate +3 into the game, so they are reluctant to choose the option. Also, I don't know any players who own SCAG. But reprinting the class with a big long spiked equipment list attached (and cool art) would probably make it more popular. You could do things like poison the spikes as well. An actual mechanical change would be to state that you can use your Unarmored Defense AC if it is better than what you get from your spiked armor.

Yeah but those buffs are usually really damn good, the infusions early on are very minor.
Again, that is because you are dishing out magic weapons like candy. The difference between having and not having a magic weapon can be the difference between normal damage and zero damage.

And a fighter with action surge, extra attack and martial weapon proficiency is going to do a lot more with a +1 maul than an alchemist with a +1 dagger.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Barbarian: Berserker.

This one is very short and to the point. This archetype is D it sucks avoid.

This is because frenzy makes you worse at being a barbarian due to exhaustion levels. The rest of it's abilities are to situational and limited to add up to much.

You can maybe frenzy once before it the exhaustion levels make you bad. At higher levels you might be able to beg a greater restoration off a spell caster in effect wasting a 5th level spell slot for your bad life decision.

Do yourself and the party a favor and avoid.

Zardnaar

Legend
Again, that is because you are dishing out magic weapons like candy. The difference between having and not having a magic weapon can be the difference between normal damage and zero damage.

See previous post about what I have dished out. There might be one magic weapon in the party although I allow them to buy common items in Xanathars/DMG which is RAW afaik.

I think the fighter bought a single sword from Xanathars which offers very little combat advantage.

You'll hate LMoP.

See previous post about what I have dished out. There might be one magic weapon in the party although I allow them to buy common items in Xanathars/DMG which is RAW afaik.

I think the fighter bought a single sword from Xanathars which offers very little combat advantage.
If the party has no magic weapons, then the have just been killed by a wererat.

And I suggest you re-read Xanathar's. It is not a shopping catalogue. You cannot buy things from it.

Zardnaar

Legend
Barbarian: Totem Warrior.

The Totem Warrior is a very interesting archetype. How effective it is depends on the totem you pick but you have the option of three with two more added in SCAG.

What one is better probably comes down to personal preference. Some are better early on others later. Usually it's a combat ability level 3, utility 6, combat 14.

Shout out to the Bears level 3 ability resistance vs everything except psychic.

At level 10 you gain the spirit walker ability. You can use commune with nature as a ritual. Not to exciting but cool little ability.

Overall I think it's pretty hard to mess up the Totem Warrior. The abilities are interesting, fun and powerful.

I'm going to rate the Totem Warrior as an S. I like the archetype a lot and I think it's good. And I'm not a fan of Barbarians in general.

Zardnaar

Legend
If the party has no magic weapons, then the have just been killed by a wererat.

And I suggest you re-read Xanathar's. It is not a shopping catalogue. You cannot buy things from it.

Wererat you have things like cantrips. Warrior just needs to grapple it or something if they can't hurt it.

Remove ads