• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Zombie and Skeleton Minion Madness!

Xeviat

Hero
I don't recal pack zombies in the game day adventure; maybe I got a different adventure (ours had hobgoblins, nasty statues, an elf necromancer type guy and boneshard skeletons).

I compared the Zombie Rotters to Goblin Cutters on the WotC boards and got booed off. I'm glad to see others recognizing them for the crap they are. Defenses and attacks and damages were suposed to be based on role and level more than stats, so that stats were balanced for their level.

I believe the zombie should be reduced to 1st level, or 2nd and have its defenses bumped up and give it a grab. Hopefully the folks at WotC are reading our complaints.

Spatula

Explorer
Cirex said:
Giving them extra damage against grabbed targets would be great.

5 normally, 8 against grabbed.
Yeah, that's another really good idea that works great in conjunction with the non-minion zombie.

rushlight

Roll for Initiative!
JGulick said:
How about giving them a new ability like this...

Death Save (when reduced to or below 0 hit points)
Unless damaged by a Critical Hit or Radiant Damage, immediately make a saving throw. A Zombie Rotter that makes this save is knocked prone with 1 hp rather than killed. If damaged by a Critical Hit or Radiant Damage, the Zombie Rotter dies with no save.

This would seem to bring them from level 1 to level 3, if not a little beyond. And it gives Turn Undead (and other Radiant multi-target effects) a chance to shine against minion undead just as they do against non-minion undead.

Ooh!

It's shiny and unexpected! I love it! Consider it implemented! :D

2eBladeSinger

First Post
PeelSeel2 said:
Make the zombie a 1st level minion. Done and solved.

I’m wondering what practical effect this would accomplish. I’m not being glib, I really don’t know how this makes a difference mechanically.

Cirex said:
Giving them extra damage against grabbed targets would be great.

5 normally, 8 against grabbed.

*loves it*

JGulick said:
How about giving them a new ability like this...

Death Save (when reduced to or below 0 hit points)
Unless damaged by a Critical Hit or Radiant Damage, immediately make a saving throw. A Zombie Rotter that makes this save is knocked prone with 1 hp rather than killed. If damaged by a Critical Hit or Radiant Damage, the Zombie Rotter dies with no save.

This would seem to bring them from level 1 to level 3, if not a little beyond. And it gives Turn Undead (and other Radiant multi-target effects) a chance to shine against minion undead just as they do against non-minion undead.

This. Could I do both? …probably need to justify that with a little more XP then, no?

PeelSeel2

Explorer
2eBladeSinger said:
I’m wondering what practical effect this would accomplish. I’m not being glib, I really don’t know how this makes a difference mechanically.

It does nothing except put the XP in line then with challenge.

Zurai

First Post
2eBladeSinger said:
Changing a creatures level has an effect on the amount of XP it is worth?
Yes. There are two factors to XP value: creature level and creature type. Minions are worth 1/4 XP, elites are worth double XP, and solos are worth quintuple XP, all as compared to the "average" for their level. There's a chart in the DMG.

Remove ads