D&D 5E Zombie Wave

Zardnaar

Legend
The last 2 weeks I have had very little combat.

This week's session was pure combat.

PCs are level 4. They had 1-2 combats last week. 6 PCs- fighter refluffed samurai, death cleric, healing druid, Invoker wizard scout, long death monk

4 encounters

8 desert zombies -speed 30, vulnerable fire death at 0hp.

12 desert zombies

12 Zombies, undead bard (VGtM).

12 Skelitons, undead cultist, mummy

Ad hoc undead Bard and Cultists.

Ignoring the encounter guidelines I managed to drain all the PCs spells.

The desert zombies got nuked with burning hands and flaming spheres and produce fire. They were based off GoT wights. Large party, 3 spellcasters, great weapon heavy armor master fighter.

The monk had a great time tanking damage and mopping up mooks. He has a spear that may or may not launch a lightning bolt 1/long rest. He also cleaned up on the Skelitons and undead cultist using quarterstaff. Temp hp explosion.

The Invoker and Druid had a few fire spells. Burn baby burn. Flaming sphere lasted 1.5 combats (zombie wave).

Scout was getting a lot of sneak attacks in with hand crossbow. AC 8 and 11 is easy.

So I threw the rulebook out and catered to PC abilities.

Cleric turned undead and is a Minotaur so had fun charging with horns.

Wizard had chromatic orb and burning hands. Also leyline feats blew a couple of rolls there.

Druid produce flame plus flaming sphere.

Fighter shrugged off damage and gwm was good.

Monk tanked and cleaned up.

Rogue danced around the map plinking away. Low AC barely missed.

So nothing really that scary except the Mummy and that didn't last long. I was fairly confident they would be alright and I think they had 6 encounters that long rest.

Players had fun being big damn heroes even if I metagamed in their favour. I figured they should get to show off on occasion.

Just thought I would share a sessions encounter where I threw the rule book out the window and roughly winged it although I planned it out in my head. Between each wave the had 1d6 rounds to prepare for the next one (surrounded).

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
My brain still works on there being 1 hit die monsters in level one dungeons and so on an so forth.

I kind of work on cr now.

1 monster per PC if the cr is lower than them by 2 or so, 2 per PC if it's drastically lower. Hard fight cr -1.

Sprinkle in a few with spells, aoe or other things they'll hate.

For example 3 veterans, a Knight and 2 cr 2 or 3 spellcasters is going to be hard for 4th level PCs.

If you use less than the PCs action economy will massacre them. Milestone leveling.

Easy fight 4 cr 1 mooks, 1 spellcaster, 1 cr3 Archer/Knight. Maybe add a race.

Larnievc

Hero
I kind of work on cr now.

1 monster per PC if the cr is lower than them by 2 or so, 2 per PC if it's drastically lower.

Sprinkle in a few with spells, aoe or other things they'll hate.
Yeah, I read CR as hit die with those asterisks you got in Basic D&D to indicate increase in xp due to special abilities.

And if it looks like it’s going the wrong way I just fudge it.

Unless one of the players marches out of the impenetrable magical tiny hut alone to taken on two chimera who have just shown their complete inability the penetrate the hut. Then you have to admit defeat 🤷‍♂️

Zardnaar

Legend
Yeah, I read CR as hit die with those asterisks you got in Basic D&D to indicate increase in xp due to special abilities.

And if it looks like it’s going the wrong way I just fudge it.

Unless one of the players marches out of the impenetrable magical tiny hut alone to taken on two chimera who have just shown their complete inability the penetrate the hut. Then you have to admit defeat 🤷‍♂️

Dispel magic.

Remove ads